TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Purging pains - March 25th 2016, 03:38 AM

I try to purge myself every once in awhile. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it just doesn't work very well.

But recently I tried again and now weird things are happening. My stomach has been hurting and my throat feels weird. it is never consistent. it comes and goes but it also sort of feels like im gonna puke again. but one night my throat felt scratchy and i couldnt stop caughing.

I didn't know how much it can actually hurt, not saying it's a bad thing. Well it is, but I don't always see it that way.

My point is, does anyone know why or what is causing this pain. Purging doesn't seem all that bad although it is. What's going on with me?

Last edited by DeletedAccount2; March 27th 2016 at 02:52 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Purging pains - March 27th 2016, 06:51 AM

Hi Cheyenne,

Purging is extremely harmful to your body and there could be a number of reasons for the pain (although it's difficult to guess at what may have caused it because you haven't provided enough information about it). Does the pain come and go when you're purging or if it's a persistent pain? How would you describe it?

I would like to advise you to go and see the doctor ASAP, especially if these pains haven't subsided. And to also please, please, please stop purging. It may not 'seem that bad', but you said so yourself that it is. It puts your body under a lot of stress, and can lead to serious complications as well as irreparable damage in the future.

No matter how unhappy with yourself you are, I can assure you that purging is not going to solve that. You're beautiful. Nothing is worth hurting yourself over, okay? Just please try to trust me on that. And please inform a trusted adult (whether it be a parent, guardian, teacher etc. whichever is more comfortable for you), so that they can take you to the doctor and make sure that you'll be alright.

Edit: Hey again. I got your PM Thank you for clarifying. I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't something that required urgent medical attention and that you hadn't ruptured something. Like Traci said, that scratchy feeling you get in your throat is normal with purging. Purging irritates your throat, and that'll feel uncomfortable (and/or painful). Please try to refrain from doing it again. A painful throat is just one of many negative side effects it has on your body and it is not worth it putting your body through that.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

Last edited by Lotus Eater; March 29th 2016 at 03:27 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Purging pains - March 28th 2016, 05:09 AM

The throat pain is pretty normal with purging. Acid takes a toll on your throat, and it isn't consistent. There are a lot of factors that go into it which I won't explain into detail as it's triggering and fairly unnecessary detail but no, the pain isn't always the same. The stomach pain is usually associated when you spend a lot of time purging or trying to make yourself purge; the attempts can just make you feel crappy. If it continues after a couple days, I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

You're not doing anything "wrong" if you find purging difficult. Purging is honestly just awful for you, and your body is fighting against you trying to do it. Getting "good" at purging is the bad sign. You said you're doing this once in a while-I'd recommend you stop doing it immediately. There is no good that can come out of it. It gives you a rush and you feel more in control at that moment, but you're not. It's not a good weight loss tool, and it's awful for your teeth, esophagus, and internal organs.

I'd recommend you speak to your parents, a counselor, or a friend for support. You're not a burden and you deserve support. You may not feel like you have "an actual" eating disorder, but you're engaging in habits that are harmful for you, and you deserve help. You deserve happiness. Let me know if you ever need any advice.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread