TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Is this Restricting or not? - April 3rd 2016, 09:07 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I plan on going on a diet tomorrow and I have everything planned out on what I am going to eat. So I need to go to the store.

Breakfast: A smothie containing Fruit, Greak Vanallia yogurt, Breeze cocunt milk

Lunch: A salad

Dinner: Green beans and a chicken breast

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is this Restricting or not? - April 4th 2016, 03:39 AM

Hi Frankie,

That all looks great! I don't think that you are restricting unnecessarily. What I mean is that yes, you are going to be eating less than you normally would, but you are still including all (except one) of the food groups, which is what you should be doing.

The one you are leaving out, as I'm sure you're aware, is carbohydrates. Whilst eating too many carbs can contribute to weight issues, they are not something you need to avoid completely. I think that if you only eat vegetables for lunch and then a chicken breast with more vegetables for dinner, you are going to end up feeling a) very hungry and b) very lethargic. Food is designed to give you energy after all. You're also not going to be in the best of moods and therefore more likely to eat things that you will regret afterwards.

So what I'm saying is by all means try your meal plan as it is but, if you find that you are still hungry, there is nothing wrong with adding some boiled potatoes (any variety, and either mashed or whole) to your evening meal.

If you get the urge to snack between lunch and dinner, fruit is a good option. There are also lots of great suggestions in this afternoon snacks thread and you can always Google 'healthy snacks' for more ideas.

Lastly, don't expect too much too soon. Like everything, a new way of eating takes a while to adjust to. You can't expect perfection straight away. If you end up eating something that wasn't on your meal plan, don't give up and think, "Oh I've ruined things now, there's no point in carrying on." Even the most heathy people amongst us eat "unhealthily" now and again. It's all about balance.

Best of luck with your meal plan, I hope you feel better for it.

Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JazzyJazz; April 4th 2016 at 04:04 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Is this Restricting or not? - April 7th 2016, 01:22 AM

Your firat two meals are high volume almost no calorie foods
and your last meal is very low calorie as well.I think that may be borderline restricting. It could easily fall into extreme low calorie count/unhealthy dieting. Meat doesn't have many calories, and neither does salad or fruit. Its not enough food. You may feel weak eating just that. You will make it to dinner without having had anything that gives your body energy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is this Restricting or not? - April 7th 2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Your firat two meals are high volume almost no calorie foods
and your last meal is very low calorie as well.I think that may be borderline restricting. It could easily fall into extreme low calorie count/unhealthy dieting. Meat doesn't have many calories, and neither does salad or fruit. Its not enough food. You may feel weak eating just that. You will make it to dinner without having had anything that gives your body energy.
If I'm being honest, I think it's a shame that you have rejected Frankie's meal plan and not given any specific suggestions of what could be done to improve it.

With regards to the breakfast smoothie:

Fruit and Greek yogurt both contain calories, but if this wasn't enough then there are other ingredients that could be included, such as protein powder, peanut butter, avocado and/or oats, and seeds such as flax, chia and/or hemp. More ideas can be found on the Internet. There are ways to bulk up a smoothie and it's all about trying things out and seeing what works. Dismissing the smoothie idea altogether is not necesssary.

A lot of people do eat a light lunch, particularly if they are not very active. However, I agree that a vegetable salad on it's own is only really enough for a snail (particularly if it's mainly leaves), and it's a good idea to add something like tuna or hard boiled eggs, or dip the salad vegetables in houmous (hummus).

I already mentioned adding potatoes to the evening meal so I won't cover that again.

I know that there is a big thing in the eating disorder world regarding "restricting", but there is healthy restricting and there is unhealthy restricting. Restricting to the point where the body is not being given the nutrients it needs is not good, but eating 3/4 of what was being eaten before and still getting enough calories to function is not a bad thing. Because, ultimately, if we want to lose weight, the body needs to be encouraged to burn the calories that it has stored up, and the only way to do this is to consume less calories than before (and ideally do some exercise too).

I think that with the improvements that I've mentioned over the two posts, the meal plan is not unhealthy. And hey, if people are unsure, try running it past a doctor or, more specifically, a dietician. I can only give my opinion and say what I know, based on my life experience and biology and healthcare knowledge.

Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JazzyJazz; April 7th 2016 at 04:25 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kay

Re: Is this Restricting or not? - April 8th 2016, 10:33 PM

I agree with JazzyJazz all of the way. Also, I would recommend beefing up your smoothie a bit. I am a certain kind of crazy and actually PREFER green smoothies (kale, spinach, avocado), along with crushed nuts, oats, and other seeds. It makes me feel a little more energized (could purely be placebo effect) in the morning and I don't like things super sweet in the morning, so the greens kind of tone down the sweetness for me. Be easy on yourself!!

Closed Thread