TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

How to Deal - April 10th 2016, 05:41 AM

Hi,

I am currently in a play with my school as a dresser. I am required to fill out a medical form and give it to the Stage Manager, who happens to be a really great friend of mine.
I have been struggling with Anorexia for the past six months.
I know that he should probably know about my condition, but I didn't put it on the form because I am so afraid to tell him. If I did tell him about my eating disorder, I'd want to do so in person. However, I don't know how to go about this or how to deal with my anorexia at this point. I'm worried that if I let my Stage Manager know about my condition, he'll tell another adult or make me seek out help which I'm just not ready for in my life right now.

How should I handle this situation?
Thank you all in advance for the help, advice, support and love. I appreciate you all.

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡

(#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How to Deal - April 10th 2016, 06:23 AM

Hi Emery (love your name!)

As I think you are aware, you are taking a risk by not declaring your anorexia. An employer (or, in this case, someone else in charge) has a duty of care to make sure that nothing bad happens to you whilst you are working. It is important that they are aware of any conditions you may have because they can then make allowances for you and avoid giving you tasks which may aggravate the condition.

I agree that, for the role you will be undertaking, something such as a back problem would be more likely to affect your work. However, there are still risks with anorexia. I don't know the extent of your condition, but suppose you had eaten nothing/very little all day and passed out "on the job" due to low blood sugar. The stage manager could potentially get into trouble because someone who has not eaten should not be on their feet. But his argument would be that he had no idea of your situation because you didn't declare it. Not only is it likely that you would lose the job, but you would probably have to deal with him being upset with you. In addition, if something like that did happen, everyone would know that you are not well and there would be a lot more pressure on you to seek help.

I do understand that declaring health conditions is a daunting prospect. I have a couple of conditions but I hate disclosing them because I don't want people to see me as weak or incapable.

I think that the fact that you are willing to speak to the stage manager in person is great and I would urge you to do that. He will no doubt be concerned for you but, if you tell him in confidence, he has no right to pass the information on to another adult without your permission. He may want you to seek help, but ultimately that is up to you. We could all sit here saying, "Get help", but if you don't want to then that is your decision.

Congratulations on getting the role in the first place. I wish you the best of luck with it!

Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JazzyJazz; April 10th 2016 at 12:15 PM.

Closed Thread