TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: untilted

Why can't I lose weight?! - May 18th 2009, 12:22 PM

Why can't I lose weight?

I have a normal body type. When I'm "thin" I have this slim look which is healthier and better. When I'm "fat" I have an average body, but I believe it's all just excess fat and I don't weigh like this before. I became like this since my cravings for food started to increase. I don't watch what I eat and this makes me feel so unhealthy and insecure about myself.

To counter this, I decided to fast. I skipped meals and ate only once a day but it made me feel dizzy and weak. So I switched by eating my meals in small amounts trice a day but they vary in scedule when taken. When I failed on my second try, I went back to fasting but it only made my cravings worst that resulted in fever.

I can't understand it. Why I can't I lose weight? After all that fasting and skipping?? I don't know...

One thing I do know though, I don't like excercising. But it has never been a problem before. I was fit and in shape without dieting nor excercising back then... I just don't get it this time...

Please help.
Weight loss techniques please. I'm slowly killing myself. I feel like fasting for a month. I need your health advices please!!! I feel like I'm sooooo ugly... (

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luckyx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Grace

Re: Why can't I lose weight?! - May 18th 2009, 01:05 PM

well first off all u dont skip meals , because once you start eating again your body will store it as fat. Drink up to 1.5 litres of water a day to wash out toxins in your body. Eat healthy choices and do some excerises

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single step.

You have been placed in a queue;
I hope this does not inconvenience you.
Because you're very valuable,
o' so very valuable.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Why can't I lose weight?! - May 18th 2009, 09:30 PM

Hey,

First off, I would strongly suggest going to your doctor.Your doctor can tell you what is a healthy weight and can recommend a nutritionist for you.

Not eating is unhealthy. It is dangerous. Your body needs food and the nutrients that food provides. Try eating healthier or going for a walk. But, and I can't stress this enough, before you do anything, go see your doctor.

Have you told anyone about your eating? If not, may try to tell an adult you trust? It can't hurt, and it will probably help you get help with this. You don't have to do this alone.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, sorry.If you need anything, feel free to pm me.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Why can't I lose weight?! - May 18th 2009, 09:43 PM

I definitely wouldn't support the idea of skipping meals, that definitely will not help the issue whatsoever. I think an important thing is not necessarily eating less, but eating healthier. One thing that used to help me, was that I had a book with a list of a bunch of foods (pretty much everything you can think of) and their amount of calories and carbs. Maybe try to stick to a recommended amount of calories and carbs per day, using something such as that.

I'd definitely suggest going to the doctor though, if you think your weight is really an issue. They can help you stick to a diet plan more than anyone else can. Setting up an appointment with a dietitian might really help you stick to a diet plan, and eventually feel better about yourself. There are also ways that you can exercise that you may not hate to much, and a doctor would also be able to suggest some helpful ways to exercise.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Why can't I lose weight?! - May 19th 2009, 12:29 AM

Hey there.

First off, no one here is going to give you methods of losing weight in an unhealthy way. If you want to lose some weight it's always, always better to do so healthily. There are so many risks and dangers associated with losing weight in unhealthy ways, not to mention these dangerous methods most often do more harm than good. If you're wanting to lose a bit of weight I strongly recommend you speak with your doctor, rather than starting on the path of starving, purging etc. I can guarantee you that an eating disorder is not going to make anything better or change how you look. It's just going to hurt you more in the long run and once you've fallen into the addiction, it's going to be something that's very, very hard to control. It doesn't take long for things to spiral out of control, for it to get to the point it's fatal. I can't stress this enough, turning to unhealthy methods of losing weight is something you do not want to do.

When you starve - when you purge, as well - sure, at first you may lose some weight. But sooner or later your body will realize what you're doing and it'll get smart. When you aren't taking in enough calories for your body to function properly, it goes into 'starvation mode', which is when it becomes extra-efficient at making the most of what you do eat. In the long run, you'll gain weight from what you do eat because your body will be making extra use of these calories.

If you experience any physical symptoms - severe dizziness, blood when you purge etc, it's crucial you see a doctor as soon as possible. I'd suggest seeing a doctor now as well, just to make sure you haven't done any harm to your body.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh here; I just want you to be able to see that this is not something you want to do, it's not going to help you any, just hurt you more. I'm here anytime you'd like to talk about anything, ok? Take good care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: untilted

Re: Why can't I lose weight?! - May 19th 2009, 12:19 PM

Thanks guys!
I do believe that if I want to lose weight I have to do it the healthy way. No body in the house knows my eating habits right now and I'm hesitant to tell them because they will only make me eat more, which is also unhealthy too.

I can't see a doctor by myself but I'm really eager to work this out. I know you guys are not doctors so I don't expect so much from you. But if you can explain at least my condition as to why I can't lose weight despite my dieting or give me a little more information and advice that would be helpful.

I just want to know why. I feel weird. Thank you guys for helping me with this. Slowly I'm trying to work this out and hopefully I'll be able to get through this drama I did to myself.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Why can't I lose weight?! - May 19th 2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish i was my avatar View Post
I can't see a doctor by myself but I'm really eager to work this out. I know you guys are not doctors so I don't expect so much from you. But if you can explain at least my condition as to why I can't lose weight despite my dieting or give me a little more information and advice that would be helpful.
You're probably not losing weight because your body doesn't need to. If you don't need to lose weight, your body will try to stop the process. Only a doctor can tell you for sure, though.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
killrsRquiet Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why can't I lose weight?! - May 19th 2009, 05:37 PM

well one thingi think i know is why you may have "slimmer" when you were younger is becasue its easier to lose wieght when your younger. but dont starve and i know you know its not good but but there are some very good healthy foods out there are amazing and have like the tiniest amount of fat. like spaghetti made out of spinitch there are so many thing like that all you need to do is find them. and you can also train your body to only want healthy food as well but you have keep eating them in order to do that

Closed Thread