TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lostteen Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I skip Breakfast - September 9th 2016, 01:25 PM

Is it normal to skip breakfast? I never feel hungry in the morning.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: I skip Breakfast - September 9th 2016, 03:01 PM

Hey there,

I think it depends what time you wake up and how long ago your dinner was. When I used to wake up at 5:30 for school, I would not feel hungry right away. I grew up eating late breakfasts and I kinda still do that so I would eat breakfast at around 9 or 10, regardless of the hour I woke up at.
Some people dont like eating anything heavy in the morning and would start out with a snack like fruit, nuts, etc
Other people like their bacon, egg and cheese sandwich first thing. I've seen people prefer either one of those scenarios.

What time do you find yourself getting hungry? At what time do you have your first meal and/or snack?

I also noticed you posted this in the Eating Disorder forum, so I'm wondering if you have disordered eating habits and if skipping meals have to do with that at all with how you feel about yourself, your body image, and your self esteem etc.

I don't know if it's normal per se, and I also dont think that if it's normal, it means it's healthy. I remember back in high school, it was a VERY common trend for kids to skip breakfast! I dont think it was healthy though. They would be hungry, but had to be at school at 8am and some of them lived an hour away. So I mean, they'd grab a drink and go. And it's not like energy drinks every day for breakfast is healthy, but it certainly was normal for kids to do.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I skip Breakfast - September 9th 2016, 06:41 PM

Hi there

Honestly in my opinion I think this would depend on the reason as to WHY you are skipping breakfast. For example if someone eats "normally" but skips breakfast because they're never hungry at that time and have no eating disordered behaviour then I wouldn't say it's an issue. If someone is skipping breakfast because they think it will help them lose weight, become "anorexic", because "ana" or "mia" is telling them too and they have a negative view about their body, problems with control or/and have disordered eating patterns around other meal times and snacks, then yes.

You say you skip breakfast because you're just not hungry. If that is the only reason as to why you are not eating breakfast then personally I would say you do not have an eating disorder, if otherwise then maybe this is something you need to talk about and look into and if this is the case, then please know that you can talk to us about it as well We're always here!

Hope you are well,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ImALoser Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alexis

Re: I skip Breakfast - September 10th 2016, 02:40 PM

If you're skipping breakfast just because you're not hungry at that time, it's fine as long as you are still eating full meals throughout the day. But if you're skipping breakfast and barely eating throughout the day because you want to lose weight, then it is not healthy.

You can always Pm me if you need to talk,

Alexis

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kay

Re: I skip Breakfast - September 15th 2016, 01:26 AM

Personally, I find it very hard to eat breakfast right in the morning, whether because it is because I am still tired, anxious about the day, feeling rushed and it's just easy to "forget", etc. I have found it helpful to carry portable snacks in my purse/backpack with me at all times in case I forget. Calorie-dense, nutritious granola bars, bananas/apples with peanut butter (they sell "to-go cups" here in US), pre-packaged cereal or oatmeal and you could put the milk in a water bottle and in the fridge ready to go in the morning. Then, when you are settled, you may be more relaxed and more able to eat something after some time. I really love overnight oats that you can just make in a mason jar with yogurt, oats, fruit, nuts, or whatever you want, put it in the fridge the night before and grab it to go in the morning.... And it's delicious.

I do think it's important to feed your body breakfast in the morning because it needs nutrition after sleep! Feel free to message me for more ideas

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

Closed Thread