TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Staying away off the scales - December 28th 2016, 03:19 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi everyone

I have made a to of ED related threads recently firstly I would like to apologise for that!

I recently binged for 7 days over Christmas YES 7 DAYS OMG I have never binge ate before so I guess you can imagine how terrified I am? I feel it will help me mentally if I stay away from my scales until I start my healthy diet and active life style again I feel the approximate time I would like to stay away from the scale would be about 2 weeks. I'm asking 2 questions here

How do I keep myself mentally calm?

how do I stop having panic attacks over this?

How do I keep that god for taking scale out of my mind

ok maybe that was 3

I'm a young lad who loves fashion so you can imagine how I look matters a lot to me I also have an eating disorder so you can also imagine the aniexty here

Help would be fabulous thank you guys.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Re: Staying away off the scales - December 29th 2016, 03:08 AM

I think that this is a very complex topic, and there is no reason to be ashamed of. The holidays are full of food, and you "binging" over the holidays is something that is hard to avoid. It is also very hard to not think about it after it is done.

My advice to you is to accept it. I honestly think that if you just got on the scale and saw whatever number it was, that it would in a way calm your anxiety over it. Yes, it will be hard to see, but you then have a goal, and you know exactly what you have to do.

This might not be exactly what you want to do, you could also "distract" yourself. Do things that you love, and sneak in a little exercise in there to somewhat ease your anxiety little by little. Ten when you feel ready, get on the scale, and then a huge "weight" will be lifted off your shoulders.

If you ever need anything, feel free to PM me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Staying away off the scales - December 29th 2016, 03:21 AM

Coming from someone who also has an eating disorder, do yourself a big favor and just get rid of your scale. And don't buy a new one. It's hard, but it's also liberating and will save you a lot of fuss in the future. Because no matter how much you distract yourself you will still know the scale is there. You can smash the thing if you want. All it tells you is your relationship with gravity. It tells you nothing about your worth or health.

As for the bingeing, your body doesn't freak out over a week of extra food. It adjusts. And do not try to compensate for the binge. You do not need to restrict, purge, or exercise more because you will just lead yourself right into another binge and continue the cycle.

Use distractions, be kind to yourself, and do some self care. Be mean to the damn scale because you deserve better.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Staying away off the scales - December 29th 2016, 09:43 AM

One thing which has really confused me Is why does my Body feel so different after the binge?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Staying away off the scales - December 29th 2016, 11:08 AM

Different in what ways?

Your body could simply be bloated. Other than that, it's most likely just a psychological feeling of it being 'different'. Your body has not changed, but your perceptions may have. You might feel instantly bigger from the binge even though you aren't. And so many other things could contribute to your body feeling different, but your statement was fairly vague.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Closed Thread