TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Eating with out binging - May 8th 2017, 10:01 PM

How do I get myself to eat like a normal person I feel like such a pig. I tend to get hungrier the more I eat and the less I eat the less hungrier I seem to become.

I don't need to exactly gain weight I'm weight restored I just want to eat a normal amount.

Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eating with out binging - May 8th 2017, 10:33 PM

Hey, again.

I would talk to your doctor and see what they say is a 'normal' amount for you. I also think it's important to recognise that 'pig' isn't an emotion. You don't feel that way, it's what you think of yourself. And changing the way you think of yourself goes along with improving your self love/acceptance and being nice to yourself.

I know when you start to eat healthy amounts you tend to feel more hungry compared to when you were restricting. When you were restricting you actively ignored your bodies hunger cues, so it makes sense that they'd stop after a while because you kept ignoring them.

The extra hunger you feel when you eat the proper amount again does not stay forever. I like to think of my body being a bit confused because woah, it doesn't know why I'm suddenly feeding it normal amounts. So, it decides to be hungry constantly because it thinks I might stop eating enough again. But the extra hunger doesn't last. Once you eat consistently your body will realize that it's not being starved anymore.

Personally, I've found hunger cues take the longest time to recover and normalise after restriction. Honestly, mine still aren't reliable. I tackle that by having three meals and a snack scheduled everyday around the same time (as prescribed by my ED treatment team). The consistency helps regulate your hunger cues so they can tell you when you're hungry and when you've eaten enough. Right now those cues are pretty unreliable, so following a flexible meal plan is important. One day you will be able to listen to your hunger cues and eat intuitively, but for now I would just stick to having set times for meals/snacks and try to eat them around the same time. But obviously consult your doctor about what would be a good plan for you in regards to when/what you should eat.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself. Do self care things and try to fight back on those negative thoughts about yourself. Eating a healthy amount food (or more or less sometimes!) doesn't make you a pig. It's you being kind and giving yourself the proper nutrition you need to live. And that's honestly something to be proud of when you struggle with an ED.

Sometime when I have a negative thought I imagine someone I really dislike is saying it to me. Currently, I use Donald Trump for this. And if he tells me I'm fat/ugly/etc I'll think back "right, because your opinion matters sooooOOOoooo much to me. At least I don't advocate rape." This could work with any person (or type of person) that tries to get a rise out of you or is rude. Maybe you could try imagining it's a rude customer. I find it helpful, but there's a lot of ways one can go about challenging negative thoughts.

Keep hanging in there, Justin. Recovery is a life long process for this, in my opinion. It's not something where you say one day "Wow, I'm completely recovered!" because mental illnesses don't work like that. They don't go away like a stomach virus does. But that doesn't mean it won't get easier to manage because it does. While there will always be ups and downs in life and recovery, there will be more things to life than just focusing on food and the eating disorder. You've got this.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Last edited by arepo; May 8th 2017 at 11:44 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Eating with out binging - May 9th 2017, 08:56 AM

I've been weight restored for 6 months and it's been the hardest part of my Ed.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Eating with out binging - May 9th 2017, 02:38 PM

And understandably so, Justin! You're going against everything your mind tells you what you 'should' be doing. You should be restricting, exercising, blah blah blah. But that's the ED fighting back because it wants to keep you in its grip that you've been loosening.

It will be hard in the beginning (and this is only the beginning!) but it does get easier to manage in time. One day you will be able to accept yourself and eat intuitively. Right now it's difficult and that's okay. In recovery those bumps in the road happen. Progress is never linear.

For now I really suggest getting your doctor's opinion (the one you've been seeing for your ED). He will be able to suggest what you should be eating each day to maintain your weight restoration. A lot of people think that when people are weight restored when struggling with an ED that after they at a 'healthy' weight they are cured from it. In reality, there's no cures for mental illness. There are things to help manage it to where you can fully function, but it's always a part of you.

Right now it's hard. It will be for some time, but as time goes on things that used to cause you to panic and hate yourself will either not bother you or will bother you minimally. I consider recovery a journey of sorts. You're not just going to scream from a mountain top that you're recovered and will never have a negative ED related thought again. That's not how it works. There will probably always be those negative thoughts, but the frequency and strength of them will dwindle.

Keep fighting this, Justin. It's hard especially in the first six months to a year or longer, but you will get to where you can function with minimal problems from your ED. You will get there. Be patient with the process.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Closed Thread