TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Name: Meera

I don't want it to come back - March 7th 2018, 07:50 AM

Hello,

My mum is going away for a week and then when she comes back she won't be able to cook as she is having a procedure done which means she can't cook for about 3 weeks. She has helped me so much with my eating but I am scared that whilst she is gone and when she can't cook that my old binging habits will come back again. I find everyone's cooking apart from my mums cooking disgusting. Other members of the family will be cooking for my mum, my dad , my brother and me but I find other people's cooking too disgusting to eat. Even the food I've learnt how to make from my mum I find it disgusting.
I'm worried that I will end up in my old vicious cycle.

From
Meera

Be Strong, Have Faith, Have Courage xx

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Current Medicines - Fluoxetine

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I don't want it to come back - March 7th 2018, 11:34 PM

Hey,
I understand how hard this is. My grandma has been away on a cruise for awhile and my mom is here and cooking. She is gone all morning and I find myself not eating until dinner. Even then I hardly eat.

Anyways you say that you find all the food everyone else cooks gross. I know this suggestion isn't going to be the healthiest but it might work. Have you thought about making things that are from a box. Like Mac&Cheese instant mashed potatoes. That way it might not taste bad because pretty much everyone makes them the same.

As for the binging I know a lot of people who binge do it on sweets and stuff like that. So maybe you can get rid of all that stuff in the house so you aren't tempted. You can also buy fruits and veggies so you can snack on that.

If you ever need to talk I am just a PM/VM away. I hope this helped.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Re: I don't want it to come back - March 18th 2018, 06:13 PM

Thank you Frankie,
I really liked your suggestion of having ready made meals - I've tried some , some days has been harder than other days but luckily my mum also put some homemade food made by her in to the freezer with a sticky label explaining what exactly is in each of the food she has made.

I, along with my dad's help have given all the food which I am likely to binge on to my grandmother as she doesn't live to near so I wouldn't be able to walk to her house to eat those food. We also brought healthy food such as fruit and vegetables for me to snack on. Although I didn't have a good day on one of the days last week as I ended up binging because I found a certain food which I normally binge on hidden in the house - my mum must have brought it before her operation as we will probably have visitors coming to see my mum once she is home.

Current Mental Health - Sever depression, SAD,Self harm, Suicide thoughts, anxiety attacks and voices in my head.

Feel free to PM me anytime , I love getting PM's and I love supporting people as it distracts me from my horrible thoughts.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I don't want it to come back - March 20th 2018, 05:55 AM

Hey,

It seems as though you have a support system within your family. I think that can be helpful. For example, when you are feeling like binging it might be helpful to talk to a family member about the urge...I think talking about it can sometimes distract you enough to prevent it. I also think bringing in things like fruits and veggies was great as well.

I struggle a lot with cooking not because I find it disgusting but I get triggered and end up not doing it. I do a lot of ready made meals and I want to work on that at some point but with my living arrangement the ready made meals on easier. I know once I have my own place and privacy I'll attempt to cook more. While ready made meals might not be ideal for everyone I know when I was in treatment and struggling to eat they were okay with me doing that for a while..this place also had ready made meals for some people and I did that for a while because it does help to not really have to think about prepping so if that helps you than go for it. There are a ton of options out there too.

Lastly, when you have a bad day try not to beat yourself up. I know it's hard but the bad days lead to a repeat of the cycle if you beat yourself up. Bad days happen from time to time but it's good to acknowledge that and try again the next day.

Keep your head up and I know we are here if you need anything.

When you have a bad

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
joydalia38 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't want it to come back - March 27th 2018, 09:08 AM

It seems at least you are trying your best to stay away from bad foods and your dad helping you is great. Food can be one's worst enemy, it's a vicious cycle.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Re: I don't want it to come back - March 28th 2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
Hey,

It seems as though you have a support system within your family. I think that can be helpful. For example, when you are feeling like binging it might be helpful to talk to a family member about the urge...I think talking about it can sometimes distract you enough to prevent it. I also think bringing in things like fruits and veggies was great as well.

I struggle a lot with cooking not because I find it disgusting but I get triggered and end up not doing it. I do a lot of ready made meals and I want to work on that at some point but with my living arrangement the ready made meals on easier. I know once I have my own place and privacy I'll attempt to cook more. While ready made meals might not be ideal for everyone I know when I was in treatment and struggling to eat they were okay with me doing that for a while..this place also had ready made meals for some people and I did that for a while because it does help to not really have to think about prepping so if that helps you than go for it. There are a ton of options out there too.

Lastly, when you have a bad day try not to beat yourself up. I know it's hard but the bad days lead to a repeat of the cycle if you beat yourself up. Bad days happen from time to time but it's good to acknowledge that and try again the next day.

Keep your head up and I know we are here if you need anything.

When you have a bad
Hey,

Thank you for your reply. That's a great idea about talking about my urges to my family, I will definitely try doing that.

Currently, I have been eating mostly ready made meals or cereal.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
random.swirls Offline
Average Joe

Re: I don't want it to come back - April 11th 2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joydalia38 View Post
It seems at least you are trying your best to stay away from bad foods and your dad helping you is great. Food can be one's worst enemy, it's a vicious cycle.
Thank you. Yes I have been trying my best to stay away from the bad foods . My dad has been brilliant at helping me. Yes I agree food can be one's worst enemy, it's a vicious cycle and it doesn't help at all that my extended family (especially my dad's mum and my mum's brother) always compare my weight / body image to my other five cousins who are all girls and older than me and slimmer than me.

Closed Thread