TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LetsRock Offline
Average Joe

Name: Hanna

Angry People think Im anorexic -> putting me under pressure - January 27th 2009, 01:14 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post --> feel free to move

Im naturaly very thin, but I never really cared cause I always ate when I was hungry and whatever I liked. It never bothered me, I liked the way I looked.
But I notice the way people treat me, they think Im anorexic. I eat so much until Im full, that might be less then some people, but I eat until Im full.
Example to explain my situation:
We were in school camp and they were bringing us food and it was time for pudding and I said I didnt want any cause i had eaten too much of the other stuff and the women whos serving the food gives met this weird look, so Im like whoa what was that about? cause she kept getting at me when I didnt want something to eat. So one guy looks at me worryingly and goes: I think, she thinks youre anorexic.

Next situation:
Work experience. We're all out eating stuff, I didnt like the meat on mine so I left it and the one women I worked with went: You havent eaten very much. And she kept watching me eat when we went out and kept dropping remarks liket that.

and one of my (ex) friends once made a remark about my weight too, she knows exactly that Im not anorexic but she went: God look at your legs, dont you wanna put on some weight?
And she said it really nastily, i think she was out to hurt me, and she did.

So Im really selfconcious about the way I look now, and whenever I go out and eat with people I feel put under pressure to eat a lot, but this pressure makes me nervous and then I cant eat and then I get really worried.
And Im also really worried about looking too thin, Ive noticed that Im constantly asking my mum if I look too thin if I wear these trousers, and she tells me Im perfectly fine, but I kinda freak out every now and then, especially when I wear that, what I had on as my friend told me to put on weight.

I dont know what to do! I know I shouldnt care what people think, but after my friend said that, its really freaking me out, cause she didnt just say it once she said it about 3 times!
Does anyone have any tips on what to do in a situation like this???

But when the night is falling
And you cannot find the light
If you feel your dream is dying
Hold tight
You've got the music in you
Don't let go
You've got the music in you
One dance left
This world is gonna pull through
Don't give up
You've got a reason to live
Can't forget you only get what you give
The New Radicals - You Get What You Give

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: People think Im anorexic -> putting me under pressure - January 27th 2009, 03:00 PM

Oh hello Hanna :]
I felt i just HAD to reply to this. I'm going through the same thing, if not very similar.
I feel very under pressure to consume a lot when i'm out with friends aswell as i'll get nasty remarks, mostly 'size XXX' 'anorexic' and whatnot. I've pretty much learned to put up with it, as i know that so long as i look like this - people are ALWAYS going to talk. In fact, they'll talk whether you're overweight, underweight, tall, small, etc.

People in general are mean, and ignorant. You'll always come across people like this, but the important thing to remember is that you know yourself you are healthy and NOT anorexic, so what more do you need? You don't NEED to justify your health to anyone. I know it's hard, trying to deal with the negative remarks regarding your body image, but take it from someone who has dealt with this practically her whole life - it's not worth stressing over. I'm in way too deep now, as the bullying has affected me in a very severe way and i have developed paranoia, ocd, anxiety etc - AND as you've just said, you constantly ask your mum if you 'look too thin' - sweetie, this is how i started out...then i just wouldn't go out the house in anything short sleeved, or showing any flesh anymore. I've become so uncomfortable, all because of what OTHERS have said about me. I just don't want you to go down that path because believe me, it's like letting them win.

I hope things go okay, remember i'm always here to talk, so P/M me whenever!

x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

Last edited by eunoia; January 27th 2009 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Do not post weight/size figures anywhere on TeenHelp!

Closed Thread