TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
an_revival Offline
Not a n00b

Essay I just wrote. - March 3rd 2010, 05:55 PM

Not sure if this might trigger others, feel free to put a trigger warnning if you see fit.

"Today is an amazing day; you have to just keep telling yourself that when the fight for freedom from your eating disorder keeps attempting to pull you down.Ē

That quote above, is so true for many people struggling with an Eating Disorder or other issues related to Eating Disorders. Most feel so alone and isolated that they donít see a way outóa way out of the downward spiral that they call their lives.

The truth, it isnít your life, not at all. Who wants to live day after day in pain and feeling depressed? That is what most people with eating disorders feel each and every day they struggle alone in silence, and it saddens me, because no-one deserves to be in that type of pain or feel depressed every day that they are alive.

And guess what? You donít have to feel that way anymore. Whether it be religion, medical or psychological treatment, there is hope for everyone struggling. Iíve had all the above treatments, and they have worked in helping me realize that I can overcome this, and that I DO NOT have to do this alone.

You can overcome this as well, but YOU and YOU alone have to want to get better; no one can ďforceĒ you to get better, but yourself. Ask yourself, ďIs this worth missing out on life, friends, and family? Do I really want to spend most of my life withdrawn away from the people I care about? What is so positive about what Iím doing? I know people care about me, but is having this Eating Disorder more important?Ē

If no is your answer to all these questions, then take the first step of getting help? Talk to someone, anyone who you care about and who cares about you. The people around you want nothing but the best for you and having an Eating Disorder is definitely not the best for anyone.

I know the hardest thing about wanting to recover is asking for help. Try and practice in the middle of your room, and try and picture that person beside you. How would you go about expressing the fact that you need help? If talking verbally isnít for you, try to write a letter expressing your situation put it in a safe place where you know that person will find it such as under their pillow or by the front door.

If you end up going into a hospital program, do not be afraid. The movies donít always get the environment or the treatment of the patientís right. You arenít restrained when you first enter the doors. The only way you will be restrained is if you pose a threat to yourself or act out in violence. You arenít immediately put on a feeding tube unless you are dangerously under weight, or have medical complications, and even then you are usually taken off the tube when you gain the weight that you need back to not be labeled medically endangered, or when you are able to eat on your own.

Most of the other patients are there for the same thing as you, so you are bound to find people who can relate to you weather they have Anorexia, Bulimia, or other eating disorders. The doctors, nurses, social workers, or psych techs arenít mean or anything like some movies portray them to be (one flew over the coocoís nest) They might even truly know where you are coming from, as in they might have struggled with Eating Disorders themselves before becoming able to help others.

This is true at one place, Selah House, where most the staff have recovered or over came eating disorders in their past. They offer a great program for girls and women in Indiana who are struggling to break free from the bondage of their Eating Disorders. Another place is Remuda Ranch, located in Virginia and Arizona. They offer Christian and equine therapy in the treatment in eating disorders. Iím not quite sure if the staff has experienced eating disorders, but their programs are one of the top treatments for Eating Disorders. The third place I know of is Vision of Hope. They are also located in Indiana, and they offer a Christian prospective on treating Eating Disorders, and other issues plaguing young girls.

I hope this essay can be of some help to someone struggling out there. If you want to get in touch with me, or the places mentioned in this essay, you can Google search for their websites. And to contact me personally, feel free to contact me either by private message or email me at hopeforhealingstaff@gmail.com
Thank you for reading.

We are a thousand voices strong.
We are each girl who sings this song.
We are a beauty thatís our own.
And we are.
And we are.
So beautiful.
--Superchick

Last edited by Jen; March 10th 2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Removing trigger warning due to new prefix guidelines

(#2 (permalink)) Old
crmzchan Offline
Love is so painful...
Not a n00b

Re: Essay I just wrote. - March 3rd 2010, 07:06 PM

That is so touching. You obviously really care. I've never had an eating disorder, but hopefully reply this will put this thread to the top of the group so everyone will see it who needs it

Holly Grogan, my friend, died 16.09.2009.
Goodbye, Holly.
May your smile light up the face of heaven.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
an_revival Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Essay I just wrote. - March 3rd 2010, 07:08 PM

thank you so much. I'm glad you never had to go through with this.

And we are.
And we are.
So beautiful.
--Superchick

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Essay I just wrote. - March 10th 2010, 05:53 AM

This is great, <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Essay I just wrote. - March 11th 2010, 08:14 PM

I liked this a lot. Have you gone or known anyone who went to those programs you mentioned? What did you write this for? A class or what? You might have already said but my memory sucks at the moment

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
an_revival Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Essay I just wrote. - March 12th 2010, 08:22 PM

Yes, i do know someone who went to Vision of Hope, and I just wrote it because I felt that people needed to know about these other places. I also posted this on my blog, and if you PM me I'll give you the link.

And we are.
And we are.
So beautiful.
--Superchick

Closed Thread