TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lost_soul Offline
:)
Average Joe

bulimic sister - April 10th 2010, 06:45 AM

My sister has been bulimic for over a year and a half in total.
Watching her deteriorate, it's not even something you can describe with words. It's so so heartbreaking.

I'm so afraid that one day, she'll just collapse, run out of energy. And what if she never regains consciousness?

She goes to the GP very, very hesitantly, but it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

I've never spoken to her about it.
I just can't bring myself to do it.
Should I speak to her? Would it even help?

Thanks for listening to me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: bulimic sister - April 10th 2010, 09:34 AM

Hey! Well sorry to hear about your sister...bulimia, like any eating disorder can be very scary to watch. About talking to her, I think you should. But if you and her really don't get along, she may take it the wrong way that you are bringing it up. No one here knows the kind of relationship you have with your sister, so only you can make that decision. But, someone does need to know, I know she is going to her GP, but has she been referred to a counsellor or someone? Do your parents know? If your parents don't know, then it would be a good idea to tell them! I would guess they already would though!
Sorry im not much help, good luck and hope your sister gets better soon!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: bulimic sister - April 10th 2010, 09:57 AM

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister, I can only imagine it must be really tough knowing what she's going through. I think talking to her would be a good idea though. She's probably feeling very alone even if she's hesitant to talk or get help. As mentioned you'll want to be careful how you approach talking to her; let her know you're there for her whenever she wants to talk and try not to rush her into it. Your concern for her is completely understandable, but remember recovery must be a person's own choice. If she knows you care then that should encourage her. Just do what you can to make her see she is a beautiful person and she deserves so much more than the misery of bulimia.

I'd also recommend talking to your parents about it if it gets really bad. But try talking to your sister on her own first; I think she'd really appreciate the confidentiality, and her trust in you will give her a good chance of recovery. It sounds as though she wants to get better, so stay positive and remember you've done really well to recognise her problem and want to help. Take care, I hope everything goes well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*dreaming
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ellie

Re: bulimic sister - April 10th 2010, 07:33 PM

Hi Amy, I understand how you're feeling, it's really hard watching someone you really care about do something like this to themselves and it's really hard to understand why anyone would want to do anything like this a lot of the time. The most important thing for you to do is to understand that it's not your fault and it's not her fault, its just something that sometimes unfortunately happens.

Try and think of this if it was the other way around, as if it were you that were suffering will this illness and how you'd want everyone else around you to act towards it. It is difficult to know what to do because you don't want to push her too much, but at the same time you need to show her that you care about her, and I'm sure that you do because you've come here. Try not to make it something that isn't spoken about, it isn't something that should be ignored, even if you don't tell her directly what's on your mind, just try spending more time with her to make her aware that she means a lot to you and that you want her to get better. It's harder so have to go through something like this on your own, so try to let her know that you're there for her.

Also had the GP not referred her to anyone else? Like a councillor or anything?
Hope everything goes alright, for you and for her, and take care.
Let me know if you need anything,
Ellie x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lost_soul Offline
:)
Average Joe

Re: bulimic sister - April 13th 2010, 08:51 AM

Thank you all for your advice, it means a lot to me.

I'm not sure if the GP has referred her to a counsellor or anything.
I try not to get to involved which sounds bad, but, I don't know if I should stick my nose in, it's hard enough when I keep it out.

My parents are aware, don't worry.
But, they're not very good at facing issues when they're presented with them.

I want to be there for my sister, but, I'm too afraid to broach the subject.
I don't know how to go about it.

Closed Thread