TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ms. Music Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Katie

Question Laxative question - May 18th 2010, 12:42 AM

Do any of you know anything about laxative dependance? How do you rid yourself of laxative dependance.
  Send a message via AIM to Ms. Music Send a message via Skype™ to Ms. Music 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Laxative question - May 18th 2010, 01:10 AM

I know that some people who misuse laxatives on a regular basis have problems with passing a bowel movement without it. Perhaps you could try and wean yourself off the laxatives, and instead try eating foods that help regulate your bowel movements. :)

This information is taken from ANRE
D
Quote:
Ask your doctor for help. Don't let shyness or embarrassment stop you.
Take one step at a time or one big leap. As your doctor advises, either taper off or go cold turkey. Expect to be anxious when time passes with no bowel movement and increasing feelings of fullness, bloat, and discomfort. Your body needs time to regulate itself and relearn how to respond to natural cues. Be reassured that most people who stick with their doctor's recommendations manage to stop laxatives and enemas and resume normal functioning after an initial period of discomfort.
Get enough fiber. Make sure you eat enough food, especially high-fiber items like whole grains, fresh fruits, and fresh vegetables. Eat the skin and peels too; they are usually high in fiber. An inexpensive, effective way to increase fiber in your diet is to add a few spoonfuls of unprocessed bran to soups, stews, and cereals. Don't go overboard with bran, however. It can generate intestinal gas that will increase your discomfort.
Combine a hot beverage and exercise. Drink a hot beverage (coffee or lemon juice in hot water are good choices), and then walk briskly for thirty minutes. The hot liquid and muscle movements in your legs and abdomen will help stimulate muscle contractions in the intestines.
Drink enough water. Drink lots of water during the day. Doctors recommend eight to ten glasses. Don't count caffeine beverages in your total; caffeine pulls water out of your body instead of adding it to cells and tissues.
Walk in the morning. Before breakfast, take a walk. Walking gets your intestinal muscles working so they can move the contents of your digestive tract along and out of your body. A cup of hot coffee or hot water and lemon juice helps get things going too.
Eat breakfast! After breakfast, sit on the toilet for 5-10 minutes. Breakfast initiates a reflex that triggers the intestines to evacuate their contents.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Laxative question - May 18th 2010, 02:08 AM

Laxative dependence can sometimes never be cured. I really believe you should talk to your doctor about it. The misuse of laxatives can cause serious damage to your excretory system. I do know what Angel mentioned is true. And it's hard to cope with the feelings while weaning off laxatives. But it's worth waiting through, I know from experience. Try not to worry while not taking laxatives...and not to force yourself to eat, but definitely be trying. Drink lots of water, because the excess use of laxatives can drain your body of necessary nutrients. There is always always the possibility of having a low count of electrolytes too. You might want to try a sports drink like Powerade or something like it. I also agree with being a little more active where you can. Try to at least walk for 30 minutes a day. Exercise is very important in healthy bowel movements,

Most importantly, when you're confused about where to go next, how you're feeling, and curious about your bodies reaction, continue to ask. It's super you came to us, and there are professionals who can be as supportive as our community. Getting answers for yourself is a very good step forward, and I encourage it.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

Closed Thread