TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

nothing is wrong with me. - May 30th 2010, 10:35 PM

all my friends and family keep telling me that they see the signs that my eating disorder is coming back.

i'm fine though.
how can i tell them to just let it go and leave me alone?
it's not coming back.
i'm fine.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - May 30th 2010, 10:44 PM

by proving it? People make opinions and assumpstions based on what happening, what has happened, what they've/heard, etc. so you want someone to believe something the best way is to prove it.

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - May 31st 2010, 05:36 AM

Maybe if they are worried, they have a reason to be? We all slip Kayla, even if we don't see it as that. Maybe you are not fine. Maybe you are. The only way to get them to back off, is to prov that you are fine, to keep on healing and recovering.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - May 31st 2010, 06:09 AM

Hey there,

Is there any reason for them to be worried? If not the best thing you can do is talk to them about how it is making you feel and ask them what is making them think that you are slipping.

I think it is natural for family and friends to worry about someone who is recovering from something like this. Sometimes they tend to over react to certain situations etc. They probably don't mean to be overbearing or whatever but in the end they want to make sure that you stay in recovering. And bringing up the fact that they see the signs of your eating disorder coming back might be there way of telling you that they are there to support you.

Kayla, even if your eating disorder were coming back it is okay. Slip ups are a part of recovery. They happen, we make it through and we learn from them. But the biggest mistake we can make is trying to run from the fact that we might be slipping up. If we face it head on we have a better chance of stopping it before it takes control again. However when we run from the slip up and deny the possibility of it there is a bigger chance that we won't be able to come back out of it right away. Don't ever be ashamed of a slip up and don't ever run from it. Face it head on and ask your support network for help.

Please hang in there and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - June 12th 2010, 07:01 PM

I keep trying to prove to them that I'm okay, but they don't believe me.
They said "they see the signs".
and there are no signs!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - June 12th 2010, 07:35 PM

Maybe you should ask them specifically, "What do you see?" Ask them to identify what they are seeing, and also ask them to identify what they do or don't want to see. Then, based on what they say, make an effort to show that to them.

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - June 12th 2010, 07:47 PM

Yes, what are they saying they see to make them think it is coming back? Asks them why they think it is coming back (What they are seeing? based on that try to change and fix those signs.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - June 12th 2010, 09:15 PM

they said that i don't eat very much in front of them,
and when i do eat, afterwards i go in my room.
which is because i'm crammed with homework since school is ending,
but i guess they think i'm throwing it up.
they say that my moods have been changing off and on again.
and that i have started twitching when people eat in front of me again.
but i don't recall doing that recently.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: nothing is wrong with me. - June 14th 2010, 01:15 PM

It's been a few years since I had trouble eating... and I still have people contantly asking me if I've eaten enough. I am at a healthy body weight, and I am recovered, but people still are concerned and ask me how things are going. They only want to make sure you are okay, you're lucky to have poeple that care that much. Talk to them about how you are and try not to get defensive about it. Actually I am happy that people still ask me about it, it shows that they know it was something difficult for me to overcome and that's all I could ask for. They help me keep myself in check. They may believe you if you didn't act so defensive about it. If you show them graditude, they are way more likely to believe that you are doing okay, because in their mind, defensiveness means you are hiding something. I hope you really are doing well, maybe evaluate yourself, and see why you are so annoyed by their comments. Maybe there is something you are feeling that you are overlooking. You know a person can be eating just fine, and still have disordered thinking. I ate healthily for a whole 2 years, but I was not healthy at all. I still was obsessed with my body and my weight... I twitched my legs when I slept for that whole 2 years too, trying to burn extra calories, just out of habit. I'm not saying that you are not okay, just be careful, you know. Maybe they see something you can't.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
Closed Thread