TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

He knows - June 4th 2010, 07:56 PM

So my dad, has been catching on the fact that I have an eating disorder. He confroted me about it yesterday in counseling. He was like I just don't understand. I am not sure there is a way to make him understand. I just grr. I didn't want him to know I got exazactly the response out of him that I knew I would( I didnt want this response.) The entire way home he was talking to my brother saying how he was going to force me to eat food because I am anorexic!! I am not anorexic and I told him so, he said fine your bulimic. Ugh why do I have to labeled. I know I have a problem, I know I am bulimic I know I have an eating disorder, But why do I have to be labeled bulimic. GRRR! At least when he didn't know I didn't have to feel so inferrior.

Sorry for the rant guys
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: He knows - June 4th 2010, 08:48 PM

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. It can be really hard when parents get involved! I just want to throw out another viewpoint--remember, your father might not have much knowledge about EDs. So, within the small knowledge he has, he might think that all people with EDs fit nicely and neatly into one diagnosis or the other. So YOU can actually educate him about this, to help him understand. He probably isn't labeling you to irritate you--he's just doing what he can to understand it. Maybe give it a little time to cool off, because of course you're upset, and then explain a bit about eating disorders to him, so that he can be more on the same page. You know?

Hang in there.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: He knows - June 7th 2010, 05:23 AM

Hey Trish,

I know it can be hard when parents get involved, but try to remember that he is trying to help you, in the best way he can. Maybe you could try printing off some information of eating disorders for him, and giving them to him to read. You could also try telling him that you don't want to be labeled. Tell him how he can help you, so he's not trying and fumbling on his own.

Just hang in there Trish.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
Closed Thread