TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shelby Van Helsing
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shelby

Unhappy Need Help :C - October 9th 2010, 04:07 PM

I've had ED-NOS/Bulimia for three years and I feel so lost nowadays. Everyone around me always tells me I have nothing to fear, that I'm gorgeous, but I have a severe phobia of gaining weight. I feel obese; I'm [Edited] 5'6. I'm constantly cold, and my skin has grown to be rather dry these days. I want to be recovered, but I have a feeling it won't happen.

Last edited by Casey.; October 11th 2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Removing trigger tag to fit with the guidelines.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
firecracker Offline
Atheist Pagan
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Need Help :C - October 9th 2010, 04:20 PM

I'm sorry to hear you feel so bad right now.
The people around you are right though. You don't have anything to worry about. You're not fat by any stretch of the imagination. Remember that you're beautiful, no matter how much you weigh.
However, eating disorders are really serious things. You do need to get help. The fact that you want to recover is HUGE! That's amazing! You should be so proud that you recognize the problem and you want to fix it! To do that, you're going to need to talk to someone. Tell your parents, your friends, your youth group leader, or your school guidance counselor. (Other adults can help you deal with your parents if you're afraid to tell them for some reason.) They can help you start recovering.
Recovery isn't easy, but it's worth it. You just have to stay determined and remember that there are people out there who love you and want to see you happy and healthy.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Shelby Van Helsing
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Need Help :C - October 9th 2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
However, eating disorders are really serious things. You do need to get help. The fact that you want to recover is HUGE! That's amazing! You should be so proud that you recognize the problem and you want to fix it! To do that, you're going to need to talk to someone. Tell your parents, your friends, your youth group leader, or your school guidance counselor. (Other adults can help you deal with your parents if you're afraid to tell them for some reason.) They can help you start recovering.
My parents know. Mum walked in on me purging when I was 11 years old, however they don't do a thing about it. They think it is something I "grow out of". Like a phase.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
firecracker Offline
Atheist Pagan
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Need Help :C - October 9th 2010, 04:39 PM

I would definitely recommend telling another adult. Youth group leader, guidance counselor, teacher, doctor, aunt, uncle, even your friends parents. Let them know what's going on. Eating disorders are serious and it's not something you'll grow out of.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Shelby Van Helsing
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Need Help :C - October 9th 2010, 04:41 PM

I know that. I tried for two years (that's when I realized I was in deep shit) to recover on my own. Nothing worked.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Need Help :C - October 10th 2010, 02:29 PM

Hey there,

I am sorry you are struggling so much at the moment but I want you to know that recovery is possible. Recovery is a very hard thing but it is not impossible. And, at the end of the day going through recovery is going to be one of the best things you could ever do for yourself.

As for support; support is a big part of recovery and if you can't get that from your parents look for it from other people. Speak to your friends and let them know what is going on, talk to some teachers and other trusted adults. Just because your parents will not/can not give you the support you need does not mean you cannot find it through other people.

Have you ever considered going into your local doctor and telling him/her that you are struggling with an ED? It might help because most likely they will do a few tests and then refer you to a therapist. This might help get you into counseling which could be a really good thing in regards to recovery. You could also look into going to your school counselor and explaining things to them. Let them know that you are struggling with an ED, you want help and are unsure of how to get it etc.

One thing that will help you the most in terms of recovery is determination; you seem to have that. It seems like you really want to get better so don't lose that determination. You can do it!

I really hope this helped and if you need anything feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Shelby Van Helsing
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Need Help :C - October 11th 2010, 01:37 AM

Thank you guys so much, but this weekend, what was left of my self-eesteem went rock bottom. I have began chewing and spitting my food out again (had problems with this when I was 12 years old). I can't help but feel fat and disgusting.

Closed Thread