TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Vegetarian questions and confusion - April 4th 2009, 02:02 AM

I've been considering becoming a vegetarian and doing a lot of research, but I'm confused. I would be a lacto-ovo if I decided to do this. I'm mostly wondering about animal products/ingredients. I know I wouldn't eat geletin if I could avoid it and the artificial colors when I could avoid them, but what about cheese? It's fine as long as I'm not vegan, but it has rennet which is an animal product, so does that mean vegetarian cheese or do I decide where to draw the line? I'm also sick of feeling pressured to go vegan.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Vegetarian questions and confusion - April 4th 2009, 02:04 AM

Katie~
Honestly I think that however you do it is okay! When I decided to stop eating meat when I was about 13 years old, my mom was still in charge of me obviously, and she said I could cut out chicken and meat but had to keep eating fish, so I never stopped eating fish or shellfish. She never made me even consider looking at products such as gelatin, etc. so I still eat those products. I don't eat chicken or meat and that's what works for me--and a lot of times I get the whole "Well you're not a REAL vegetarian!!" but I just tell them that I'm doing what's best for me....and there's really no right or wrong. I know that's probably not the answer you're looking for but I just want to let you know that however you do it, no matter how many "rules" you do or don't follow, it's okay!

Jen

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SillyEvee Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: EV

Re: Vegetarian questions and confusion - April 4th 2009, 04:46 AM

Hey Katie,
I think most cheese you get in supermarkets now is made with a synthetic enzyme rather than actual rennet, so I'd apply the same rules to hard cheeses as to milk. Usually it'll tell you on the package whether or not it's made with real rennet.
As for pressure to go vegan...that's like a bisexual feeling pressured to declare as either gay or straight! Honestly, the advice is exactly the same, only subsitute 'eat' for 'be attracted to.' Seriously, eat what you want. If you don't feel OK with eating meat, then don't do it. If you feel OK with drinking milk, then do. Fish? Up to you!
If you're going veggie for socially-consious reasons, then you could get only organic, hormone-free, sustainably-grown milk, eggs, etc. Most large supermarkets care free-range, dye-free eggs. "Happy cow" milk might be harder to come by, but it does exist! That should help satisfy the nosy vegans who are butting into your life (and your fridge). Sure, maybe you're not AS sustainable as they are, but you're darnded close and you're choosing to get your calcium from a milk bottle, not a pill bottle.
(Note: I have nothing against vegans. But I've met my share of crusading, self-righteous jerks under the vegan banner. They're the ones I critisize here, not all vegans or even vegans in general.)
Hope that helps,
EV

--EV--
Congrats Canada's Juniors! 5 in a row!
Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
Week before, they all seemed the same.
And oh, I ain't wastin' time no more
Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.
--The Allman Brothers Band

Things seem impossible until you start to do them.

PM me anytime. I love to talk. :]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
emo_qehs Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: emo_qehs

Re: Vegetarian questions and confusion - April 4th 2009, 08:32 AM

As a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I don't eat meat, fish, gelatine, cochineal, rennet etc.
As for cheese, most of them contain rennet made from bacteria, not calves so are vegetarian-friendly =)

I must admit that I'm one of them 'you're not a real vegetarian' ppl if someone eats fish or gelatine for example.

Once you get used to the products you buy/eat, it becomes 'normal' anyway.
  Send a message via MSN to emo_qehs  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
cchheellsseeaa Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelsea

Re: Vegetarian questions and confusion - April 6th 2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_qehs View Post
As a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I don't eat meat, fish, gelatine, cochineal, rennet etc.
As for cheese, most of them contain rennet made from bacteria, not calves so are vegetarian-friendly =)

I must admit that I'm one of them 'you're not a real vegetarian' ppl if someone eats fish or gelatine for example.

Once you get used to the products you buy/eat, it becomes 'normal' anyway.
ill just second all of that lol
there also geletin not made from animals also; its something you would just have to look into; or be like me and not eat it at all.

So, is that what you call a getaway?
Tell me what you got away with.
Cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish.
I've seen more guts in eleven-year-old kids.
Have another drink and drive yourself home.
I hope there's ice on all the roads.
And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,
and again when your head goes through the windshield.
  Send a message via MSN to cchheellsseeaa  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Vegetarian questions and confusion - April 8th 2009, 01:15 AM

you can eat cheese and dairy and eggs when you're a vegetarian, and you can eat jello too. just don't eat land meat or seafood, because despite what some people say, eating seafood counts as meat.

Closed Thread