TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Swimgirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Do they really need blood tests? - July 21st 2012, 06:21 AM

So I am about 95 percent sure I have a hernia again. I can go see my doctor in three weeks, and then I have to get a hard thing on my hand removed as well. I can not do blood tests without passing out and vomiting, and I was wondering of blood tests before surgery are a 100 percent thing? Also does anyone know if this problem could be why I get nacious after eating or when I'm hungry?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Do they really need blood tests? - July 21st 2012, 03:15 PM

The nausea could be caused by the hernia as it is not an uncommon symptom.

Yes, they have to do blood work before most surgeries. There are a plethora of reasons why, but as an example...If you have an unnaturally high red blood cell count, most surgeons will not put you under anesthesia, preventing them from doing the surgery. High red blood cells can mean there is an underlying cause, which could potentially be fatal to put you under anesthesia, or to perform surgery - depending on the cause.

Do you know why you get sick? Is it from seeing it? Feeling it? Or is it due to them actually taking blood? Have you tried eating something sugary and drinking LOTS of water before getting your blood drawn? Have you tried lying down while they take your blood?

Talk to the doctors about this so they can best help your experience with them. Maybe they can give you some medicine or just some other advice to try.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Swimgirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do they really need blood tests? - July 21st 2012, 07:48 PM

I am really scared of needles (like a lot of people I know) and everything from seeing it to feeling it makes me sick. Last time I got my finger pricked and last time I got a shot I passed out and had to lay down on a table for thirty minutes. The place where they draw blood is extremely sensitive, and no matter how much I try and man up, I can't even write on that part. When I try to tough it out, that's when I throw up and pass out.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Do they really need blood tests? - July 21st 2012, 08:19 PM

Well, discuss this with the doctors or a secretary at the place where you will be getting your blood drawn. There are medications doctors can give you to help you not have such a severe reaction. They can also attempt to numb the area so you do not feel the needle prick.

Just talk with them and explain how severe it is.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do they really need blood tests? - July 22nd 2012, 01:44 AM

Blood tests are required before and sometimes after surgeries. The purpose of them before surgeries is to determine whether it is safe to perform the surgery and whether there are any additional precautions. For example, a blood test can reveal your prothombin time, which represents the likelihood of your blood clotting on its own. Depending on the value, you may be given anti-coagulation medications. It is also possible to determine whether someone may have a particular coagulation disorder based on several measures, including prothrombin time, which is crucial to know when going in for a surgery.

Since your reaction is that intense, the doctor may recommend to try drawing blood from another place, although if that fails, you may be given a fast-acting sedative.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread