TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Should I go to the doctors about this? - September 4th 2012, 04:09 PM

This is probably a silly question, but I don't really like going to the doctors unless I absolutely have to.
I'm really suffering with what I believe is low blood sugars. I get times where I'm weak, shaky, restless, dizzy, sweaty, racing heart, and I KNOW I need to eat something otherwise I'll pass out. This happens about 3-4 times a week now. I have to make sure I have some dextro tablets or something sugary on me at all times just in case I feel bad when I'm out. It literally stops me from doing anything until i've had some kind of sugar and I've collapsed from this before.
I make sure I eat what I need to, so it's not as if i'm starving myself or anything, this is when I'm eating 3 balanced (I try my hardest) meals a day. It's a pain, but if i'm just over thinking it i'd rather not go to the docs, but do people think it's worth going?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Should I go to the doctors about this? - September 4th 2012, 04:52 PM

Yes, you should see a doctor as this can be very dangerous if it is from low blood sugar. Also, those energy pills are not enough to help you if it is low-blood sugar. They only contain 3 grams. You need at least 15 grams of sugar during an episode to sustain you for ONE hour only, then you need to eat something healthier but still with some sugar in it.

A better alternative, as you can't take 5 energy pills (!) is to get some over the counter Glucose Pills. Most have about 4 grams in them, so you will need to take 4 or 5 at a time during an episode.

This could be life threatening - as I stated before - if it is low-blood sugar. You want to eat something that is mostly sugar and carbs when having an attack. So if things have a lot of fat in them, like chocolate or cookies, this won't work as quickly or well. Fruit juice, hard candies, pretzels, etc work well for an attack and should get you a good amount of sugar. I suggest buying some hard candies (lots of people use jolly ranchers) to carry in your purse or wallet.

Even with these preventative measures, it is never a sure thing that it will be prevented. Often times an attack can be so strong due to various reasons that eating something doesn't help and you can still pass out. Once you pass out, you need an ER immediately.

You might also be experiencing Anemia. Depending on the cause, they can mimic hypoglycemia. This is also dangerous as it can cause low oxygen levels which can lead to stress on your heart and a heart attack.

Hope this helped a bit.

Closed Thread