TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gbesgk9694 Offline
Gabby
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabby

Unhappy Weight - October 28th 2012, 01:44 AM

I'm 15 and about 5'4" I weigh about [edited] ... I haven't really viewed myself as thin except when I was in 6th grade I weighted about [edited] ... which was four school years ago... I'd really love to get back to weighing about [edited] .... I really wanna know a good way to lose weight cuz I've always struggled with weight gain and self image... Can anyone help me with suggestions?

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
"Your heart is free but do you have the courage to follow it."
"You’ve to gota take risk in love, it doesn’t mean you’re not going to get hurt . But the pain of being alone is never compare to the regret of walking away from Love."

Last edited by Riddikulus; October 28th 2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Weight numbers
  Send a message via Skype™ to Gbesgk9694 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Weight - October 28th 2012, 04:35 PM

The best I can suggest is do a mix between cardio and strength training. This way you are losing weight and replacing it with muscle. Keep in mind, muscle does add weight, but it is healthy weight. Also, adding more fruits, veggies, meat (protein) and water to your diet makes you less hungry and gives your body the nutrients it needs to work properly.

Personally, I have found jogging exhilarating. However, it gets boring so I noticed I wasn't doing it as much anymore. Finding new apps for my phone (switching between MyTracks for just running and Zombies, Run to make it more fun) helped. As well as switching to the free gym at our apartment complex to lift weights or bike.

Eating snack food is okay if you can do it in moderation. For soda, for myself, I drink only a couple ounces to get the flavor, then drink water or lemonade (with little sweetening). For desserts, I allow myself a small snack inbetween lunch and dinner (something as simple as a mini candy bar or half a small bag of chips). If you want to have a healthy snack, nuts or sunflower seeds are great. Trail mix. Fruit. Etc. Then I allow myself one small slice of something after dinner. Cheesecake, cake, brownie, etc.

It depends on your body type what will work for you. So it will take time to find something that works. Speak to your doctor about healthy lifestyle plans as well. One other thing is to make sure you are sleeping routinely. This will help your body get rid of excess fat while you sleep and work properly when you are awake.

Hope this helped a bit!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Weight - October 28th 2012, 07:17 PM

I've had a bit of success with [healthy] weight loss, so I suppose I'll chime in here.
  1. Diet, don't starve. I know it sounds backwards, but I tried to starve myself some last year, and I didn't start losing weight until I made the decision to start eating more. (Here's the calorie intake calculator I used). No matter how much you're tempted, don't eat below your recommended daily calorie intake.

Everything you eat needs to be fruits and vegetables or lean meat. Bread is great, but make sure you get whole grains, as those are more nutritious and far easier for your body to process. Trail mix, like the above poster said, is a great snack. I love putting nuts and dried berries in my breakfast cereal of the morning. Most restaurants have salad options, now; go for those, not the breaded kinds.

If you can't kick your constantly-eating-junk-food habit, sugar and junk food should be avoided at all costs because they'll just suck you right back into the habit of eating bad foods. But, once you can control yourself, feel free to indulge. I broke up Oreos in low-calorie whipped cream as part of my dinner, once. It was awesome.

Switch out your sugary sodas for calorie-less things like diet sodas or Sobe Lifewater. Another thing you could do which would cut out a lot of calories is to cut out dairy milk, and replace it with almond or soy milk. While your average glass of 2% milk has [EDIT] calories, a glass of almond or soy milk has around [EDIT] calories. Plus, in my opinion, it just tastes better.

But: Drink a ton of water. If you don't like the water that comes out of your sink spiggot, find another source, 'cause you're gonna need a lot of it. And plain water is the best, not those fruity flavored kinds, which'll just leave you wanting more water. Drink as much as you can, every day. It'll help your complexion, it'll help you feel more rested, and it will fuel your exercising better than anything else you can drink.
  2. When exercising, don't kill yourself. If it's raining outside, don't run, as you'll get a mean cough and your immune system is likely to be too busy getting rid of that to fend off other things. It's just a bad idea, trust me. Forty-five minutes of exercising daily is great, if you have the time, but don't overdo it and try to work out for two hours every night unless you feel up to it (or you'll die of exhaustion eventually).

Now to the actual routine of exercising. You'll need cardio and strength workouts. Cardio workouts are things that get your heart rate up, and help to break down fat compounds. I usually run -- my favorite type of cardio -- for about twenty/thirty minutes. Then, I do my strength workouts, which burn that fat away from particular areas of my body. I do yoga and belly dancing. It builds long, lean muscle, and plus, I just really love it. Other options include pilates, weight-lifting, tai chi, and your average run-of-the-mill sit-ups and pull-ups and such.

Don't look at exercising as a chore. Buy a cheap MP3 player, with no texting capabilities or extra-super-expensive-price-tag, and load it with your favorite songs. It's what I did, and now there are some songs I listen to that I can't listen to without wanting to run -- in a good way.
  3. Stay motivated! You aren't going to see results right away. In fact, if you're anything like me, it'll take weeks before you notice any change in your appearance. But believe me, it's worth it: When you're shaving your legs one day and come out of the shower bellowing something incoherent to everyone in the house, like: "OMG, OMG! THERE ARE MUSCLES IN MY LEGS!" Everything will just fall into place.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; October 28th 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Calorie numbers are not allowed on TH

Closed Thread