TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spikey Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Molly

Question To go to sixth form or not to go to sixth form.... - December 8th 2012, 03:01 PM

Bear with me, this first bit may be confusing.

I got signed off of sixth form for two weeks on a Monday to adjust to depression tablets the doctor gave me, but my mum had some questions about the tablets I was on, so made a doctors appointment on the Friday and asked the questions. I then started taking the tablets on a Saturday and the main side effect I had was the awful headaches.

But, if I go back to sixth form on Monday, I would have only been on the tablets for 9 days. The headaches come and go at random times and can last anywhere between 15 minutes and 4 hours. If I go to sixth form, there is no way I'll be able to focus in class, it can often get noisy and we do all of our work on the computer.

I don't know if they'd send me home because I've had quite a bit of time off, but none of it is my fault! I've had quite a few doctors appointments and hospital appointments! And I only go to sixth form on Mondays and Fridays. A girl from my class, my boyfriend and my mum said not to go in if I don't feel like it, but I'm not sure whether to take the day off or not.

What do you think?

I don't want to take anything pill-wise for it as I don't like being on two things at once and I'm on these tablets and the implant anyway.

Thanks!
RosieJ

And she turns up the music, to drown out her life.

22/12/2014 was the last date I self-harmed. The longest I have gone so far is 1 year, 2 months and 5 days. This time, I hope I can give up! New record: 1 year 6 months! Yay!!
Previously:
Kibska

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: To go to sixth form or not to go to sixth form.... - December 8th 2012, 06:22 PM

Firstly, if you need them, take the medication.

If I were you, I'd e-mail your teachers and ask for the work that you miss so that you can stay at home and not feel awful at Sixth Form (it's not worth it, don't bother) but still do the work - you can do it when you haven't got the headaches, so it will be easier and more flexible.

Hope you're OK soon!

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: To go to sixth form or not to go to sixth form.... - December 8th 2012, 09:03 PM

Hi Molly
I know what it's like having to miss college for doctors appointments - it's an absolute pain. Especially with exams coming up. It's really hard to keep on top of things.

I think that you should take the meds and go into sixth form. It may take some adjusting to, but you might find that you only have a headache for half an hour that day and what's the point in missing a whole day for that?

I would maybe talk to your teachers and give them a heads up that you're on some medication which has some side effects that could effect your performance in class. This way they can understand if you have to go home suddenly or if you have a few days off.

Also, like adam said, email them or give them a ring to ask for the work you've miss on that particular day to be emailed or posted to you.

Just a side note - you can still take pain relief on anti depressants

Hope this helps and that the side effects get better.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: To go to sixth form or not to go to sixth form.... - December 9th 2012, 05:15 PM

Hey Molly,

Because of the amount of time off you've had from school, I would suggest going - but only if you can. If you cannot stay for medical reasons, you should be able to tell your teachers and leave - at most schools, they don't want to run the risk of something happening to you if you're sick, because then it's on them. If you can, take some over the counter headache medicine with you in case a headache comes on.
I would also suggest making another appointment with your doctor - explain the headaches and see if you can get a prescription for a pain reliever (I have fioricet specifically for my headaches). It may not be something you need all the time, but I know what it's like to have debilitating headaches. Perhaps you can have your doctor also write a note for you to turn into the school to let them know what's going on.

If you feel that these headaches are too much, stay home and head to the doctor. But because you only have classes on two days, my guess is that you will miss a LOT of work. So if you do have to be out, get someone in your class to take notes for you and e-mail your teachers to find out what your assignments are. You don't want to fall behind.

Good luck!

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: To go to sixth form or not to go to sixth form.... - December 13th 2012, 02:43 PM

So, when I was in Sixth form, I took about 6 months of due to being in a psychiatric unit and I also took about 3 horus of a week for appointments. There were also times where like yourself, I was signed of when I started new medication because my body always reacts badly to new medications.

And I got the highest grade in my sixth form which I'm pretty damn proud of. My point is, if you work with the school and your school works with you, you can get through. Talk to your teachers, get them to email you work, contact them if you get stuck and while you're at home, do the work. Don't spend your day in bed with hot chocolate's watching Jeremy Kyle like we all want (). You can do it.

And then I guess if these headaches don't start to ware of and might continue while you're on this medication, you're going to need to weigh out the negatives and positive to the medication to decide (with the person who prescribed you it) whether you should continue it or stop it.

Hope this helps

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread