TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Just a random question that got carried off with da wind.. - January 19th 2013, 05:34 AM

Hey

So with feeling like complete crap on the inside, it doesn't really help to look in a mirror. I have a pretty face. That's it. My feet are huge. I have such an awkward figure. my hair is pretty and curly when wet...dry, straight, and boring when dry.
I already have a bad image of my figure...but things got nasty when I weighed myself. The first time I weighed myself in my teen years was back in summer.
My ex and I had just got bitten by the love bug, but I wouldn't see 'im again till August. Yeah i shoulda known he'd ditch me for the pretty, skinny girl. And that led to horrible depression...when I weighed myself I was stunned. i knew I was bigger than other girls, but I didn't know I weighed that much.

I come from a particularly big family...weight wise. My aunt, cousin, grandpa, grandma, and probably others I haven't seen in awhile are overweight.
My mom has a...um...larger figure which I sadly inherited. Huge thighs and butt. That's me. I feel like a giant next to my friends..
When I was little, bwfore my mom dieted, I wanted to be grown up, EXACTLY like mom. So I thought that all it took to be an adult was to get....heck, I'll say it ...fat. so I ate a TON for a few months.
I just got into sports last year, and have lost some extra weight. And gained somw muscle.

Which brings me to my question...is it normal to be...kinda overweight at my age?? I just turned 14 in December, and I work out every day.. but I still have a belly roll and fatty thighs. I just want to be thin by summer...that's all I want. I'm always standing up, why, because when I sit down the ugly thigh fat poofs up. It's nasty.
Also, how can I lose the belly roll and thigh fat before summer?
And...my thighs are pretty muscular. So is my upper body. So the several extra pounds, I think, are due to muscles...since they weigh more y'know?

I try not to worry, as I know i can bring anorexia upon myself but....how can i get down to a normal size, is it normal tp be and feel like this, and will i be able to lose it after puberty??

Thanks in advance to whoever bothers to read this.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Just a random question that got carried off with da wind.. - January 19th 2013, 08:17 AM

Poor body image is the plague of the female condition. (And often the male condition too, but for different reasons.)

Basically, most people don't see themselves as being how they want to be.
The important thing is at 14, there's a high chance you're still growing. If you're eating healthily, and exercising, then you have nothing to worry about. Having worked as a gymnastics coach, I have seen many young men and women at around your age, and it's not uncommon to put on a little bit of weight, then grow. Growing needs energy.

If you are concerned, talking to a doctor is a great idea. They will be able to tell you if you're in an appropriate, healthy weight range. If that doesn't appeal to you, a more expensive option is to see a personal trainer and have a body fat percentage done, which is more accurate than say, a BMI, or simply that number staring back at you from the scales.

I can't accurately tell you if you are a "normal" size or not, and you've been very careful to obey the forum rules surrounding weight numbers and clothing sizes - for which I commend you. Often, people of a more muscular build may feel like they are larger than their peers purely because they weigh a bit more, but the reality is they look fine. I am one of countless people who has been able to look back on photographs of their teenaged years, where they thought they were fat, and go hey, I wasn't fat at all! Happens for a lot of people.

Eat nutritious food, exercise a good amount, and don't stress out. At 14 love can feel very intense, but even with the best of high school boys it's unlikely to last, and as you get older you are more likely to find someone who appreciates you the way you are.

And, if you're like me, if you want to feel better, just go to a supermarket or Walmart or something - wandering around there you're likely to come across some people of monstrous proportions, or who you don't consider attractive, and it really makes you feel like you drew the best cards genetically.

You've pointed out some things you like about yourself. Make the most of those, accent them so others notice them more too.

Also - if your feet look out of proportion at the moment, remember two things - first, feet grow first, before the rest of the body, and second, Ian Thorpe, an Australian Olympic Medallist for swimming, has size 17 feet.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Just a random question that got carried off with da wind.. - January 19th 2013, 04:48 PM

That is great advice! Thank you so much for your input. I'd like to somewhat clarify...I know I'm not like...huge...just....feels like it sometimes. But I go onto, say, Yahoo answers and find girls my age that have the same problem except they weigh more so...maybe I am over reacting a bit, but we all have hard times. Thanks again.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

Closed Thread