TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
adriannarose Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cause of my UTIs? - February 19th 2013, 12:36 AM

I've had UTIs since I was about 10, and I'm really concerned about it. When I was younger, I used to get them pretty often- maybe one every month, for about a week? I stopped getting them for about three years, but just a few days ago, I got one again. I don't have sex, I don't drink, nothing like that. It's really strange! I've taken Cystex and it works well (obviously). Can someone please explain this to me? I don't want my parents thinking I'm getting these because I'm doing stuff I'm not supposed to!

Thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 19th 2013, 12:43 AM

Well, do you drink a lot of energy drinks?
A few of my friends from uni got UTIs multiple times from having too many carbonated drinks and energy drinks. They found switching their main fluid intake to water helped. And I've always been told if you think you're getting a UTI, drink lots of water.

But because you've had a lot of these, you might want to ask a doctor to investigate why you seem to be susceptible to them. It might be something really simple that didn't occur to you (like wiping the wrong way ), or it might be something else. Either way, a GP is always a good place to start if you have queries regarding this sort of thing.

In the mean time, if you don't already, drink lots of water!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 19th 2013, 12:57 AM

I definitely agree with the great advice Jess gave. I agree that you should see a doctor; I actually just had to see a doctor myself for a UTI problem. I asked the nurse there what I did wrong, what could have caused it, and she told me that sometimes they just happen and it doesn't mean you necessarily did anything wrong. But if you see a doctor, they should be able to tell you why you've been so susceptible to them.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 19th 2013, 01:48 AM

In addition to what other members said (ex. wiping from front to back), UTIs can occur if you "hold it" for too long (as in, don't urinate when you first feel the urge to)... so drink plenty of water, and go to the bathroom as soon as you feel the urge to. The only person I know of that dealt with multiple UTIs had them because she was on birth control (which led to vaginal dryness), and she was new to sexual activity in general... but since that doesn't seem to be the case for you, definitely see a doctor ASAP. Recurrent UTIs can cause kidney scarring and other complications, if left untreated! It may simply be a matter of using a different antibiotic to treat the bacterial infection.

Last edited by PSY; February 19th 2013 at 01:57 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 19th 2013, 02:25 AM

Also, my doctor told me that when you have a UTI, in addition to drinking plenty of water, one of the best things you can drink is cranberry juice. I tried it, and she was right, it helped a lot.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 19th 2013, 04:33 PM

Cranberry juice is great for preventing them (not a guarantee, but it does help), and for when you first start getting a UTI. Some other causes for UTI's are wiping the wrong way for females. Not exactly the best topic to talk about, but it's true.

Also, anytime you have sex or foreplay, you need to go to the bathroom afterwards (not saying you are having sexual encounters), or you risk an infection. The energy drinks or carbonated drinks could cause it, as others have mentioned. And sometimes? You just get one! No seemingly good reason. You just get one. Don't feel ashamed. I had 3 in one year! My doctor had no idea why I was getting so many and had me on two medications, drinking cranberry juice, and was doing a culture to be sure it was what he thought. It was. It was just persist.

So, it's nothing to be ashamed about, and your parents should know you can get a UTI from several things. Hope this helps

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 19th 2013, 11:12 PM

Besides what others have said, make sure that you're not douching or putting soap in your vagina or near your urethra. I've heard those can affect vaginal health and put you at higher risk for UTIs. Also, wear cotton panties or panties with a cotton crotch (you know, on some lacy or spandexy panties it'll have that piece of cotton fabric. This allows your vagina to breathe a bit more and lot let the moisture sit right next to it.) I've also heard to avoid thongs, at least try not to wear them on a daily basis.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
renrdiaz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 21st 2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_like_black View Post
Well, do you drink a lot of energy drinks?
A good question. Energy drinks or shall we say any drinks excluding water can cause us UTI and I personally experience it. Do you always drink plenty of water? if not, you might consider drinking plenty of it everytime, it is a good cleanser for our body. before it will complicate, visit a doctor as soon as possible.

We are responsible for our own actions.
Gluten

(#9 (permalink)) Old
shanrocks Offline
ShanRocks
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cause of my UTIs? - February 21st 2013, 07:09 PM

Well the having to go often and then not having much come out is a pretty common symptom of a UTI. Other symptoms are burning or pain when you do go, weird colored urine (real yellow or otherwise off-color), and a weird smell.

As far as what causes them, in women it can be just about anything. Anything that introduces bacteria into the urethra can cause one, and women get them more often than men because our urethras are shorter. I tend to get them after the first couple times I have sex with a new partner (it's happened with every man I've slept with in the last five years). To help prevent them, wipe front to back, pee before and after sex (at the very least after), and drink lots of water. Also, don't "hold it in". When you get the urge, pee.

To treat one, my first course of action is always to get an OTC pill of some sort and start drinking cranberry juice and water like it's my job (and I hate cranberry juice). If that doesn't kill it with a couple days, go to the doctor and get an antibiotic. UTI's can turn into kidney infections real quick (if you have a fever, chills, kidney pain, or feel otherwise crappy when you have a UTI, get to a doctor immediately, they're signs of a kidney infection that can turn serious overnight), so it's important to stay on top of them.

Closed Thread