TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BethGoesRawr Offline
JustBethReally
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Weight loss? - March 3rd 2013, 12:27 PM

Hey, just wanna know any really good, quick, easy exercises or diets I could use to lose as much weight as possible - as fast as possible

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Weight loss? - March 3rd 2013, 08:14 PM

Trying to lose to much weight to fast is not healthy. I can't use #'s on the forum because it's a trigger and against the rules so I'll just PM you since a bunch of the stuff I want to say is about #'s

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Weight loss? - March 3rd 2013, 10:02 PM

The best and most healthy way to lose weight is through diet and exercise. Try to increase your fruit and veg intake and limit fatty foods. Going for a run or doing a routine of simple stretches every day is a good way to lose weight and tone your body as well.
A fantastic way to cut out a lot of fat is to replace meat in your diet with quorn. Quorn is basically pure protein and it's got (I think - don't quote me on it) half the fat of meat. There also isn't a huge difference in taste, especially when used in pasta and stuff where there are other flavours combined with it.
If you have a look at this link, it lists the vitamins and such your body needs to function, and clicking on each one will tell you what it does and what foods contain it.
Just be healthy, and try not to push yourself too hard. It will be difficult to start with, but take small steps towards what you want to be able to do and it will get much easier.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Tro Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tro

Re: Weight loss? - March 4th 2013, 01:35 AM

Hello Beth,

First of all, it's important to have a good understanding of how metabolism and exercise work exactly, so I'd recommend reading this post (it does a good job of breaking down the basics): http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-g...ealthy-eating/

Beyond that, unfortunately there aren't really any easy or quick ways to lose weight. It may be helpful to know that there are two phases to weight management though: there's the weight loss phase and the muscle gain/toning phase.
Like that article describes, to lose weight you'd need to keep your calorie intake lower than your calorie expenditure. This means that your body will metabolize stored energy, so trying to do targeted exercises during this phase (like sit ups, push ups, weight training, and the like) won't really help build muscle because your body doesn't have the necessary calorie surplus with which it can build new muscle.
The muscle building/toning phase would require that you have a calorie surplus (which means you can eat more than what your recommended intake should be), and weight-training or targeted muscle exercises are most effective in this phase (your body would be able to use the excess energy instead of storing all of it to make up for a calorie deficit).

Of course, you can mix it up (alternate between one day of calorie deficit and weight loss exercises like running, swimming, etc; and one day of calorie surplus with muscle training exercises), but that's the general idea of how it works. Otherwise, there aren't really any fast or easy ways to do it (contrary to what every diet or exercise magazine will probably try to convince their readers).

I hope this helps out. If you're looking for some general exercises that you can do for targeting certain muscle groups during muscle toning days of your workouts, try searching up some exercise videos on youtube to see how to perform them with the proper form (to avoid injury). As far as weight loss goes, though, aim for sustained/endurance exercises like long distance running, cycling, or swimming.

Best of luck,
Tro
  Send a message via AIM to Tro Send a message via Skype™ to Tro 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Weight loss? - March 4th 2013, 01:04 PM

The best way is to eat healthy foods, none of that cutting foods (carbs/bread and noodles being the primary choice here) out business because you're depriving yourself of nutrients your body will need. Having at least 3 meals a day is best, don't skip breakfast or lunch unless it's just unavoidable (you can even bring an energy bar with you if it isn't possible for you to have a real sit down lunch). Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads, nuts, and so on. You can lose weight without taking up any crazy diets, pastas, dairy and steak can all be part of the equation. Just be aware of consumption, it took me almost 2 years to finally do what I had to in order to lose weight, I worked out a lot and I improved on my eating but I was still eating to much and to many unhealthy little snacks were easing their way in. It's not that you can't have cookies or popcorn or what ever, but things like restaurant food, boxed food or frozen food tends to be higher in sodium and calories (read: tends to be, it depends on the restaurant, some restaurants are just as healthy) but replacing your snack of a bowl of chips with some fruit or something.

It can take a while to make the healthy changes. But making radical changes (no carbs, no dairy, no fattier meats etc) is not going to be beneficial. It's much better to make healthy changes to your diet that can be maintained long term; unless oyu never plan to have a piece of bread again that's only a temporary fix and you'll constantly be battling with your weight if you don't make the "healthy" dietary changes (a combination of healthy foods which includes all food groups); the only thing you don't need a lot of is stuff what would fall into what I would consider the "junk food" group so cookies, chips, chocolate etc.

As for exercise, try to get minimum 30 minutes a day even if all you do is go for a walk. If you have an interest in and sports likerunning or anything you can set up a running plan (starting off intervals are usually the best, like walking 2 minutes, running 3 minutes, walking 2 minutes, running 3 minutes) and adding on time to running every other time you go (such as going 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 2 minutes, 4 minutes and then 2 minutes 5 minutes etc). Every one does intervals different;y and 3-5 minutes of running to start might to be easy or hard for you depending on your fitness levels. You can join a dance class (or dance on your own) and start doing yoga (you can usually find videos on the internet but you can also go to a yoga studio/gym or buy a DVD or video game to supplement that). There are a lot of other options depending on your interests.

I hope this helps and you also have a PM with details that I couldn't include on the forums due to rules about not being able to post weight numbers or calories.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
shanrocks Offline
ShanRocks
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Weight loss? - March 5th 2013, 08:51 PM

I do not know if you are over weighted or not.

Try the following according to your present weight.

1) Nutrition:
Avoid or reduce fatty foods and sugar intake (watch your drinks there is a lot of sugar in many of them. Avoid or reduce alcohol intake. Avoid or reduce white bread, white rice, & pastry.
Have: fruit, veggies (by the ton), lean meat, fish, whole grain products, etc. and 2 liters of water a day.

2) Do cardio two times a week for 30 minutes.
Whatever you can do and like to do; walk, jog, cycle, swim, dance, etc. Just make sure you keep your heart rate up for 30 minutes twice a week.

3) Toning.
Get firm muscles, they will burn the fat in your body. Work them out twice a week.
From light weight to any other form of resistence exercise you can do and like: crunces, squats, push ups, sit ups, etc.
You need to feel taht your muscles have worked, taht they are tired, but not exhausted or in pain.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SmithWood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Weight loss? - March 7th 2013, 06:48 AM

Your weight is often a balanced exercise, though the formula is simple: If you eat much more calorie consumption when compared with you burn then you certainly gain pounds. By eating fewer calories from fat as compared to a person melt away, you lose weight.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Meldon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Weight loss? - March 8th 2013, 09:23 AM

Different people like the different foods for the weight loss and fat loss.Some people usethe supplements foods for keep fitness and weight loss.But according to me that buckwheat foods so good for the weight loss.But exercise should be must with the diet for the weight loss.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
davidjakob8100 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Weight loss? - March 20th 2013, 05:46 PM

Swimming is the best Cardio / calorie burning exercise out there and there is little to no impact on joints. I have been a swimmer my whole life and definitely recommend it to anyone looking to shape up.No doubt a relaxing form of exercise means weight lost by swimming is fun too!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Weight loss? - March 20th 2013, 09:59 PM

Running and getting up early are vital to weight loss. Your body produces chemicals at night telling you to sleep, and to store calories, so you don't want to be up and hungry then.

I set my alarm on my phone to go like,
6:00 - Get up and Run
6:15 - I said run you fatty
6:30 - I bet you'd be running if there was a Twinkie at the end

Also watching not only the number of calories, but the kinds of calories are vital. Protein and carbs are where you should be getting the majority of your calories, and fats should be a small amount. Eat carbs after cardio an protein after you work on your muscles. Give yourself a free day at the end of the week, if you actually keep to your diet during the week, eat whatever you want on your free day, but don't abuse it.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
SmithWood Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Weight loss? - March 29th 2013, 09:48 AM

In case you burn off [Edited] more calories when compared with consume each day to get a 7 days, you should lose with regards to [Edited].

In order to lose weight more quickly, you'll need to eat fewer and exercise more.

As an example, for inside One,050 to 1, [Edited] calorie consumption every day, and use first hours every day, you might shed [Edited] kilos within the initial full week, or even more if you consider a lot more than [Edited] kilos. It is important to not lower calorie consumption further -- that is hazardous.

Limiting salt along with starches may also imply shedding more weight in the beginning -- that's largely fluids, not necessarily fat.

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; April 2nd 2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight or calorie numbers on TeenHelp.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
marvelous123 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mila

Re: Weight loss? - April 3rd 2013, 06:37 PM

There's no quick and fix to weight loss. Trust me, I've tried a lot of crazy different things.

All you can really do is do atleast 30 minutes of cardio a day (minimum 3 times a week, max is six times a week), take a multivitamin, eat your fruits and veggies, and lift some weights 2-3 times a week to tone up. Also, try and restrict your meat products as much as you can. Dairy, especially, is really bad for you. Our bodies can't really digest it properly so it just ends up sticking to your insides, which isn't really healthy and just creates fat. This also restricts nutrients from getting into your body properly.

Anyways, I wish you luck!

Closed Thread