TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

MAJOR Overtraining............ - March 4th 2013, 02:50 AM

HEY GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to write in and ask what the danger of over training is. I know this guy at the gym, I trained with him yesterday, he's forty.............. he comes in twice a day, trains for about two or three hours at a time (and this is by his words), does massive weights, and I'm talking fifty reps bench press and then push ups in between as the FIRST exercise, and then keep on going .

He also does a cycle class, a "Body Attack" Class (which is sort of like alternating between body weight and cardio) and he does half body weights EVERY DAY remember. And then god only knows what he is doing for Cardio training LOL. Then to get home, he bikes tens of kilometres back home. People have told him that he is over training he says he just laughs at them.

But what are the dangers of overtraining in general? Apparently he has been going at this pace for three years, he told me he used to work (until recently) in a construction, factory type job and he is forty years of age .

He mentioned that it actually hurts, he sometimes can't move properly cause of the pain, he deosn't take protein either, he's heavily against that........

How is this level of training even possible, and what can happen when you overtrain?

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: MAJOR Overtraining............ - March 4th 2013, 12:13 PM

You know, actually some people could train like that and be just fine - obviously if he is in that much pain, he shouldn't be doing it, though. It's all about your diet, building up muscle, endurance, and pacing yourself.

The more strain he puts on his muscles, especially continuously, gives him more risk for a pulled or torn muscle or ligament. Sometimes these can last several months, or take a year to fully heal. It could cause stress fractures, which can cause issues with walking. It can cause needed joint replacement later in life due to the stress on the joints. Too much exercise can actually cause you to start losing - not only fat - muscle, too.

He may feel the need to exercise frequently because it helps relieve some symptoms of depression, as well as anxiety. It also helps the person to feel in control. Exercise causes a euphoric experience, so it is very possible to get addicted. It's great to do, but only in moderation. Too much, and you're just setting yourself up to be injured or become ill.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: MAJOR Overtraining............ - March 4th 2013, 02:30 PM

Well really, it is HIS buisness what he chooses to do with his body.

As for over training you can in short fuck yourself up pretty good. As someone who has gone through training twice a day 6 days a week and being surrounded by professional MMA fighters, you can get a lot of sprains, strains, and other over use injuries without giving your body the proper time to heal the damage just continues to reoccur.

I actually managed to give myself shin splints enough times that one day something just went and I could barely walk. I don't usually cry from phsyical pain (as I said I used to train with mma fighters) but I couldn't keep myself from crying, I couldn't walk without a serious limp and it took me 5 minutes to get down ONE flight of stairs, that usually takes about 10-15 seconds. Never mind going UP the stairs. The doctor I had unfortunately didn't know what a shin splint was (a common over use injury) and thus told me I was fine, even though I could barely walk. At the time someone who was very knowledgeable with over use injuries and knee injuries thought I torn my ACL. Thankfully I didn't but it was a very bad experience that took me a good 4-5 months to be able to get fully back into sports and running.

That is just ONE example of what could happen if you over train. I didn't know my limits and just kept jumping in head first everytime I thought I was a LITTLE bit better, I'd push through pain then fuck myself up.

Trust me not fun. Adequate ratios of diet, rest and excersize is necessary to get the most from an extreme active lifestyle like that.

Protein play a VERY important role in rebuilding all those muscles you tear when you work out. That is how you get bigger and strong. You work out, your muscles tear (that is why you get sore sometimes after a hard work out) then you rest and rebuild bigger and stronger muscles. It's also a good idea to rotate the muscle groups you work out. If you work your chest and back muscles one day, work your legs and glutes the next.

I could keep going on and on and on about work out tips but I am not a professional and merely speak from experience accumulated knowledge from the experience of those around me. If you have other questions feel free to PM me and I can always try and help you out or point you out to another TH'r who can help.

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: MAJOR Overtraining............ - March 4th 2013, 03:06 PM

"Over" training is dangerous and kind of pointless. When you over train your body and push it everyday, etc. You do not give your body enough time to rest and rebuild. The way muscle builds up is by basically "breaking it down" and it rebuilds tougher. The way I work out is I do one set of muscles for a day, and then the next day I do another group. (IE Upper muscles on day X, leg muscles on day Y, Back muscles on day Z) That way you give time for the body to heal and get stronger. Also as he said sometimes he can't move "properly" without seeing it, its hard to say. Yes, after a good intense work out, you should be sore and tired. But if you are giving yourself serious injury such as pulled ligaments, strained joints, etc. Then what's the point?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: MAJOR Overtraining............ - March 5th 2013, 12:37 AM

Not taking protein when doing that much exercise is pointless....
If he's gonna work that hard he needs to atleast diet for it.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: MAJOR Overtraining............ - March 5th 2013, 05:59 PM

If he's giving himself so much he's barely able to move, then, yeah, he probably needs to back off. Likfe everyone is saying your body doesn't get enough time to recover if you are pushing it like this and it can lead to injuries.
As someone who's had shin splints multiple times and that's the most minor of my sports-related injuries I can attest to the value of knowing when to back off.
You could always casually ask him why he keeps pushing himself so hard if he is in (unusual) pain afterwards sometimes. It's normal to feel a little sore or tired afterwards, but it's pretty easy to tell when it's crossed to injury. But really it's his own problem, you'd probably just be better leaving it alone. He'll either learn to slow it down or he won't

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread