TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

bad eating habbits - January 11th 2009, 10:53 PM

I don't where to put this...

My problem is that I don't eat much at meals, but I snack constantly throughout the day, especialy when I'm bored, any help?

Last edited by newbie552; January 11th 2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: details

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: bad eating habbits - January 11th 2009, 11:00 PM

We're not allowed to post weight figures on TeenHelp. You should just take the numbers out or a moderator will come and take care of it for you.

As far as losing weight goes, just eat healthy foods and healthy proportions, exercise, and maybe try to eat at meals rather than snacking all day. However, it sounds to me like for your height, you're not really in need of losing weight. But it never hurts to eat healthy and exercise regularly.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: bad eating habbits - January 11th 2009, 11:36 PM

Moved to General Health.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: bad eating habbits - January 12th 2009, 07:20 AM

You could always eat fruit or something healthy for a snack or do something to that'll keep you busy so you won't thinking about eating.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Banana_choc Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: KT

Re: bad eating habbits - January 12th 2009, 11:21 AM

actually why you feel is eating small meals may be normal portions. Snacking is fine when your hungry. Snacking on Low calorie, high fiber, low sugar is what is healthiest but how many of us are that healthy? I enjoy my bad for me snacks.

Snacking and eating small meals is fine. Snacking when you are bored is probably not good. Sometimes a good way to curve that is to always snack at the kitchen table. If you keep your food in the kitchen you are less likely to get in habits like eating when you watch tv, or eating when you go on the computer. Also try to snack only when you feel hungry. It takes awhile to get used to learning when your body is hungry but it is the best way to decide when to snack
  Send a message via AIM to Banana_choc  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: bad eating habbits - January 12th 2009, 11:29 AM

Having 3 meals a day is not actually how your body is built to work anyway.

And if you do have 3 meals, your main meal of the day is supposed to be lunch.

Snacking throughout the day is actually a very good thing because it keeps your metabolic rate high throughout the day.

It is down to what you eat. If you snack on crisps and typically unhealthy food then you will not be doing yourself any favours.

Watch your salt.
Watch your cholesterol (LDL)
Watch your saturated fat intake
Eat more Poly-unsaturared fats (oily fish)

A good tip is to drink water, thirst and hunger are very close receptors as a result you can sometimes become confused as to what you want and you may eat when infact you just need a drink.

It also becomes a habbit and it's something you do when your bored. I drink alot of water due to this and it helps my body and skin etc greatly. Water is very important.

I would suggest drinking more water, having a jug of water at your computer while you do essays / assignents etc. Is what I do and I get through so much water a day.

If you don't like water, buy some squash (no added sugar) and drink that, it has very few calories.

Also exercise helps supress hunger and if you are worried about your figure etc in anyway this is going to help.

Myself personally I go to the gym regularly and I also run every day (morning and night).

A good way for you to monitor yourself is to check your Waist to Hip ratio, or your BMI. (Waist to Hip ratio is far more accurate, however BMI is easier to work out)

I'm not allowed to show you how to work out either of those or the figures. However a quick trip to google will help you out.

If your interested in fitness and health give me a PM or a message some time . I can help you as fitness is something I am greatly interested in. As someone who knows the human body medically and as someone who uses and is very active with fitness in his life. I can help you build up and get together some plans for what you can do to help yourself get in shape/stay fit.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: bad eating habbits - January 12th 2009, 11:29 AM

It's actually recommended that your meals be in smaller portions and for you to then snack on low-calorie, high fibre, nutritious snacks several times throughout the day, so as long as you are choosing the right foods, you seem to be on the right track. Eating more fibre will help control your hunger as well, so try and incorporate more multi-grain or bran products into your day, and choose snacks such as nuts, fruit, veggies, melba toast etc. Try and get excercise in for at least 30-45 minutes a day.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#8 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: bad eating habbits - January 12th 2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz404 View Post
If your interested in fitness and health give me a PM or a message some time . I can help you as fitness is something I am greatly interested in. As someone who knows the human body medically and as someone who uses and is very active with fitness in his life. I can help you build up and get together some plans for what you can do to help yourself get in shape/stay fit.
I must make a note that we are not professionals. If we are to give out any advice, we must have sources, books, internet or otherwise, for our users to research such advice for their own health. Everyone is different, so any plan must be consulted with your doctor.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: bad eating habbits - January 15th 2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz404 View Post
Having 3 meals a day is not actually how your body is built to work anyway.

And if you do have 3 meals, your main meal of the day is supposed to be lunch.

Snacking throughout the day is actually a very good thing because it keeps your metabolic rate high throughout the day.

It is down to what you eat. If you snack on crisps and typically unhealthy food then you will not be doing yourself any favours.

Watch your salt.
Watch your cholesterol (LDL)
Watch your saturated fat intake
Eat more Poly-unsaturared fats (oily fish)

A good tip is to drink water, thirst and hunger are very close receptors as a result you can sometimes become confused as to what you want and you may eat when infact you just need a drink.

It also becomes a habbit and it's something you do when your bored. I drink alot of water due to this and it helps my body and skin etc greatly. Water is very important.

I would suggest drinking more water, having a jug of water at your computer while you do essays / assignents etc. Is what I do and I get through so much water a day.

If you don't like water, buy some squash (no added sugar) and drink that, it has very few calories.

Also exercise helps supress hunger and if you are worried about your figure etc in anyway this is going to help.

Myself personally I go to the gym regularly and I also run every day (morning and night).

A good way for you to monitor yourself is to check your Waist to Hip ratio, or your BMI. (Waist to Hip ratio is far more accurate, however BMI is easier to work out)

I'm not allowed to show you how to work out either of those or the figures. However a quick trip to google will help you out.

Ideally, I would want to take a martail arts class like juijitsu or judo but I can't because my knee is to screwed up

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Re: bad eating habbits - January 15th 2009, 07:12 PM

I am the same way but my problem is that I only may eat one decent meal through the day and snack the rest of the day.. I just started trying to eat healthier snacks.
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: bad eating habbits - January 15th 2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie552 View Post
Ideally, I would want to take a martail arts class like juijitsu or judo but I can't because my knee is to screwed up
If you knee is a problem , you should look into sports rehabilitation therapy.

My left Knee use to be an issue, but after 6 months of hard work , stretches etc. It got better to the point where I can do squats and the things I wanted to do without having to go through pain.

I did them anyway and just did it in pain. But I knew something was wrong so wanted to fix it.

Now i'm happy to say I'm pain free and exercising has never been better.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: bad eating habbits - January 16th 2009, 09:40 AM

Aah I'm the same way. Snacking throughout the day isn't really as much of a problem as eating unhealthy snacks or eating when you're not really hungry (both of which I am a master at.)
It's been mentioned already, so I'll just restress the importance of drinking water. It really, really does help.
Another thing I've been trying to do lately is keeping a record of what I eat. It can also make you realize just how often you're eating things you probably shouldn't. In addition, it really gives you a boost of optimism when you look at the previous day's record and find out you've eaten healthier today than you did yesterday.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

Closed Thread