TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Question Dizzy spell? - June 6th 2013, 12:31 PM

Hey, guys!

I was just wondering: What can cause extreme dizzy spells? They've been going on for a few months now. Last night, I was walking through the house, and my knees just suddenly gave out and I couldn't see. I had to grab hold of the end of the couch, set my knee on the ground, and push myself back up. Then I had to grab hold of the frame of my bedroom door, because I nearly fell over again; I ended up staying there for a whole minute, fastened to the wall and terrified that I was gonna fall backwards and knock my head off of something.

That was about the worse one I've had, ever. I can't figure out what's causing them. I've been taking an over the counter iron supplement that my doctor said might be good for me to take, and I'm generally a very healthy individual. So I have no clue what's going on, honestly.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Dizzy spell? - June 8th 2013, 02:57 PM

I'm a sufferer of anaemia which is a lack of iron in the blood and a general lack of blood. This can cause serious dizzy spells when exposed to certain things like a certain type of heat and for me, too much salt. A good way to check if you have anaemia or a low blood count is to check the part just under your eyes, pull it back and see what colour it is. If it's red, your blood count is fine, if it's a sort of pale/orange colour, you need more iron.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Dizzy spell? - June 8th 2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTides View Post
I'm a sufferer of anaemia which is a lack of iron in the blood and a general lack of blood. This can cause serious dizzy spells when exposed to certain things like a certain type of heat and for me, too much salt. A good way to check if you have anaemia or a low blood count is to check the part just under your eyes, pull it back and see what colour it is. If it's red, your blood count is fine, if it's a sort of pale/orange colour, you need more iron.
My iron levels were bordering on anemia when I originally went to the doctor, who recommended an iron supplement to me. It's 367% percent of iron daily. The skin beneath my eyes does have the quality you mentioned, however. I think you might know a little more than I do; do you know if it's possible that anemia can worsen, even taking the recommended supplement?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Dizzy spell? - June 8th 2013, 06:48 PM

It depends on your diet and the type of iron supplement you're taking. Some iron tablets that are Enteric coated are useless and should be switched for regular non-coated ones. There are a variety of different iron tablets you can take, I usually take vitamin B Complex alongside regular iron tablets. However, even in taking these it doesn't guarantee that you'll be free from the dizzy spells as it depends on the severity of your anaemia.

You may also have a reaction to certain foods or ingredients, some can cause an allergic reaction even if you know you don't actually have any allergies. For me I can't have too much of a salt intake with low blood count or my head starts spinning and I get terrible vertigo. Taking showerers can also be a problem with low blood count as the heat from the shower causes the body to heat up and the body tries to pump more blood around the body when there isn't enough to pump around the body in the first place.

Even with taking certain supplements you can still have dizzy spells, fatigue etc, again it just depends on the type of your supplement, your diet and the severity of the anaemia.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Dizzy spell? - June 17th 2013, 02:55 AM

A lot of stuff can cause dizziness.
- Dehydration
- Low blood sugar
- Anemia
- Cardiac issues
- Vasovagal responses
- Low blood pressure
- Issues with the inner ear

If it has been going on for several months, you should talk to your doctor about this. I've had dizzy spells before only right before I vomited (which is due to the vagal nerve being stimulated). Over the Internet, it's pretty much guesswork.

There's also different types of anemia too. You should really look at a multi-vitamin because you need b12 and folate too. I would not take both a multi-vitamin and an iron supplement at the same time. Just one or the other.

Last edited by Lelola; June 17th 2013 at 07:04 PM.

Closed Thread