TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xo_sophiie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

getting fit. - July 15th 2013, 08:02 PM

hi, im trying to get fit and loose a'bit of weight.
im currently size [Edited] and sort of healthy.
i dont eat a lot of rubbish food but don't eat extremely health either, more like a balanced diet. i try to go running 3 times a week for half an hour and was just wondering if anyone had any other tips on how to get fit/loose weight/ton up?

Last edited by LlamaLlamaDuck; July 15th 2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Please don't post weight numbers or clothes sizes on TeenHelp. Refer to the Terms of Service for more information.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: getting fit. - July 16th 2013, 04:52 AM

I'm not the fittest person but I am definitely trying to get fit. I have been using GREAT techniques that leave me feeling AMAZING afterwards (and I'm NOT a runner or one to exercise). These make me want to do it EVERY day.

Whenever you don't run try these to tone up some core, back, arm, and leg muscle. I'm sure you have cardio down (lucky you!) but some of these can help with that as well.

1. Light Stretches! Always start with light stretches to avoid injury. A good ten minute stretch before each work out is a perfect way to start. Any light stretches that you know from running would be great. Be sure to stretch out your back, arms, stomach, and hips though! If you are looking to improve flexibility, start with some simple dance stretches. Google some easy dance stretches. If you do this for half an hour each time you work out, you'll get more and more flexible. This will help improve the control you have over your body and will help add years to your life. (:

**You can do several things next. If you want to do circuit training, start by getting your heart rate up. If you want to simply do toning you can do any of the next exercises with 30-45 seconds of rest in between. Circuit training has a limited amount of rest period. 30 or less seconds in between each exercise. So here's what I do.

2. Get your heart pumping!
** High Knees for one minute
** Jumping Jacks for one minute
** Jump rope for one minute
*** Remember to only take 30 seconds to break between these ( or less!! ) or your heart rate might dip back down.

3. Arms
** 15 pushups of any style ("girl" or boy. Both are effective as long as your elbows create a solid 90 degree angle).
** 5 triceps dips (for these, sit on your butt and put your hands behind you. Knees should be bent but not too close to your chest. Your fingers should be facing towards your feet. Push up so your butt and stomach are flat. Knees should be at a 90 degree angle. Bend your arms and push back up. It should be like backwards push ups. These kill!)
** 15 push ups of any kind
** 5 Triceps dips.
** 15 push ups of any kind
** 5 Triceps dips.
**** As you get stronger, increase these numbers. 15 push ups each time can be good, but try to increase your triceps dips! (:

Take a water break!

4. Core
These next ones should follow one right after the other with no break in between.
** 30 seconds of Russian Twists (google this for an explanation with pictures. If you're unable to find it, PM me ^_^ )
** IMMEDIATELY go to 30 seconds of plank (again, google!)
REST.
** 30 seconds of plank
** 30 seconds of bridges (google is your friend hahaha)
REST.
** 30 seconds of bicycle crunches
** 30 seconds of plank
REST.
** 30 seconds of bicycle crunches.
REST.
You've completed circuit training. Now you can focus on the rest of your stretches and exercises calmly, taking water breaks as needed.
5. LEGS
Take your time with these so you can do them properly to really work those leg muscles.
** 15 single calf raises (15 on each side) Rest your hands on a bookshelf or a bar that's about as tall as your shoulders. They should be resting comfortably on the shelf: DO NOT GRIP IT. Stand on one foot, resting the other foot behind your standing leg. Slowly rise to the ball of your foot and back down again. Do this again for the other side.
** 15 double calf raises. Rest your hands on a bookshelf or a bar that's about as tall as your shoulders. Again: don't grip it. Stand on both feet, not too close together but a little less than shoulder length apart. Raise to the balls of both feet at the same time and slowly back down again.
Pull away from the shelf/bar.
** 15 squats.
** 15 ballet grande pliť in second. (Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Turn your hips out and keep your butt tucked in. Bend at the knees while keeping your upper body completely upright. For more information, see google.)

Now it's time to lie on your back!
** Lie on your back with your hands straight down at your sides. Life your legs in the air and slowly lower them so your body creates an obtuse angle. The degree to which your legs are angled will depend on your personal core strength. With your legs still in the air, write out each letter of the alphabet in capital letters. Make sure to use your whole legs. Your legs should never bend and your legs should be a straight line from your hip to your toes. Complete the entire alphabet. This exercise is very difficult when done correctly so you can stop whenever you need to and build slowly on it. Create goals for yourself if you find it difficult to get past certain letters. This exercise works with numbers and names as well.
** Superman: Lie on your stomach in a straight line. Put your hands behind your head as if you were doing a sit-up. Raise your chest off the ground as high as can so that it's comfortable. Hold for 10 seconds. Lower back to the ground. Do 3 sets.
** If you own an exercise ball google some exercise ball workouts. There are some of the same things you see here but involving the ball which adds more use of the muscles you're currently working out.
** Tick-Tocks. These are great to do at the end of a workout because they're not too tiring to do, but you'll feel them after! Sit down in a straddle position (legs out to either side of you really stretching those inner thighs... make sure there is no "daylight" or "holes" between your knees and the ground. If there is, turn your hips out more). Sit with your back straight up and your hands behind your head as if you were going to do a sit up. Facing completely forward, tip your body to the right. Your elbow should be aiming for behind your knee. Do this again but to the other side. You can do these as many times as you'd like. It adds muscle to your lower back! (:

Cool Down!
It's just as important to cool down as it is to warm up. Do some gentle stretches, take a moment to breathe, but whatever you do... don't sit down! You are more likely to get cramps if you just sit down immediately. Walk it off, stretch, breathe, and meditate. Before you shower make sure you let yourself sweat it all off. It's good for your skin to take cold showers after you have stopped sweating, rather than hot showers while you are still sweating.

If you are just looking for fun ways to stay active besides running but still want to build muscle here are some ideas:
1) Gyms can get really boring over time. Change up your scenery. Run along a beach. Running in sand is difficult but can REALLY get you in shape. (I've never tried it. I think I'd die. But then again, I'm not a runner.)
2) Dance Dance Revolution or Just Dance! Who says video games can't get you in shape? Grab some friends and get some water because if you increase the levels on these and really get into it, you can get your heart racing in no time.
3) Swim! It's a great way to have fun with friends in the heat and get in shape.
4) Grab some boxing gloves and start boxing. This is amazing cardio and upper body strength. You can take classes or purchase a punching bag, then just google different techniques.
5) Take a yoga or dance class! Both will increase your flexibility, balance, and muscle strength. It also is an amazing form of expression.
6) If you're interested in singing, join a classical choir. Classical training requires different uses of your core muscles than pop singing does. You will be surprised how much this improves your cardio and stomach muscles. Choir and dance can both also help with posture!
7) Grab some friends and go on a hike. Travel and explore different areas. Be safe while hiking though. Pack water and food, wear layers, make sure your phone is fully charged, never go alone, never stray from the trail, and always make sure several people know where you will be and when you will be expected back. Always try to get as much information about the trails as possible before you go. Pick more and more challenging trails as you get stronger. Some of them can be grueling but so rewarding!

Change up your circuits so you're not doing the same thing each time. Feel free to make good use of the gym if you have one but remember that sometimes the best workouts come from just using your own body instead of fancy equipment.

If you want to change up your diet it's a good idea to help tone your muscles even more. Sodas and sugary drinks are not a good idea when planning on working out so often. Never give up sleep for a work out. Your body needs sleep just as much as it needs to work out so let it rest! Make sure you eat enough to keep your body energized, and drink water to keep yourself hydrated. Everybody's body works differently. Be respectful of yours. You can only push yourself so much so if you really are too worn out to do it all, take a break. It's okay. Try again next time. The important thing is, you got out there and you did it.

I hope some of this helps. I created all of this on my own when I decided I wanted to get more fit. If you have any questions, PM me. I'll try to find pictures if you're confused about any of it. (: Sorry for this being so long. Good luck! Let me know if it worked for you!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: getting fit. - July 16th 2013, 07:49 AM

Not everything works for everybody, but as a general rule some resistance - be it body weight exercise, something with dumb-bells, adding ankle weights to your run, or doing something more intensive at a gym is helpful.

So far as your cardio goes, if you want to increase your fitness (as opposed to maintaining it), then the intensity of the cardio needs to increase - intervals are a great way to do this, but so are investigating other forms of cardio such as swimming, cycling, or a fast-paced sport, or simply increasing either the time you run, or your distance.

Stretching is important but needs to be done correctly. If you're unfamiliar with how to stretch, find someone who DOES know how to do it and get them to teach you. As a general rule, a stretch should be slightly uncomfortable (you're deliberately lengthening your muscles, after all), but not painful. If you feel more than mild pain, then either your technique needs addressing or you're pushing the stretch too far for your current flexibility.

Remember there's no such thing as a spot fix - you need to work your entire body. Muscle tone is generally created doing a higher amount of reps with a lower weight, but there are many ways to achieve this, and many websites explaining the advantages and disadvantages of different methods.

So far as nutrition goes, protein is your friend if visible muscle tone is your goal, but a sensible manner of eating is the best way to go about things - everything in moderation, you know?

If you can afford to, it's worth talking to a personal trainer. They will be able to help you develop a plan based on your current fitness and your goals. They can also direct you to valuable resources that you might not already be aware of.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: getting fit. - July 16th 2013, 09:15 PM

I use MyPlate to track what I eat. Remember, you should be getting about 20-30% of your calories from protein, 15-30% of your calories from fat, and 40-60% from carbs. It's [EDIT] calories per gram of protein or carbs and [EDIT] calories from fat. That is the key to a balance diet. Since you're a female, usually people recommend keeping the fat higher than 15% but less than protein since females do need fat to have a healthy menstrual cycle.

Also, don't try to lose more than [EDIT] pounds per week which is about 1 kg.

Pushups are a great way to tone yourself if you do them properly.

Last edited by escape_thereal_world; July 17th 2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Calories and weight numbers are not allowed on TeenHelp

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: getting fit. - July 17th 2013, 01:25 AM

Just try to limit things that are high in sugars (breads, noodles, rice candy, chocolate etc) and focus on the other things (fruits, veggies, meat etc.). My main thing is that you should try to make what you eat count, so, for example, avoid empty carbs like white bread and instead get whole grain breads. But don't go crazy, you're better just tweaking your diet and exercise habits gradually until you find the little set of "things" that work for you. Like i can sit here all day long and tell you what I do and why I do it, but that doesn't mean you'll have any success or even enjoy it. And I believe you have to like what your doing, you can always change it later, but what you do should be realistic long term.

Like i eat relatively healthy most of the time, a little "junk food" here and there, the odd dinner out, no biggie, I run a few times a week and go to self defence classes a few times a week. I can always change that if I decide that dancing or tennis is more my thing but meanwhile I've done well with that and I think it's really important to enjoy it.

I've had people try to convince me to do these really radical things, like to cut out all junk food and all carbs (meaning to literally NEVER eat bread, noodles or rice) until i reached my goal, and that was in favour of eating spinach, fish, eggs, veggies etc a lot of the time, even fruits were supposed to be limited because they're higher in sugar. That to me was fucking obscene because i don't think you should lock yourself into that restrictive of a routine, not when I can validate having had considerable amounts of success with a much more flexible style. And it was like, well, ok, even if I do that, what am I supposed to do when I reach my goal? It might get total results within a matter of months but it'd give me no time to change the habits that caused me to be overweight to begin with whereas the path i have chosen as an alternative to extreme measures has allowed for that. So I absolutely discourage extreme measures, when you are struggling with your weight it can be hard to turn down the things that promise a quick fix in favour of healthier more gradual programs but it is something I feel that just has to be done.

So yeah, do it gradual, make healthy tweaks and have fun, nothing extreme, i can get more specific but you'd have to PM me, plus I'm exhausted from running around today so yeah

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Neville333 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: getting fit. - July 23rd 2013, 08:16 AM

You should do the exercise at least 5 times a week for the proper time to lose your extra body weight and get the fitness for the longer period of the time.
Start cardio exercise and do it in your routine workout, it will give you excellent results for the weight control and also for the fitness enhancement.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Neville333 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: getting fit. - July 27th 2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville333 View Post
You should do the exercise at least 5 times a week for the proper time to lose your extra body weight and get the fitness for the longer period of the time.
Start cardio exercise and do it in your routine workout, it will give you excellent results for the weight control and also for the fitness enhancement.
Any comment?

Closed Thread