TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ChellyBean Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelly

Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 18th 2013, 05:42 PM

I know your supposed to eat healthy when your pregnant. My problem is I have always been bad for eating a lot of junk. I eat out a lot I eat junk food a lot I really like sweet stuff and in the last couple weeks I been wanting it even more I wonder if maybe that's cravings? But what kinds of things should I start eating now to make sure my baby is healthy? and at 8 weeks pregnant could the way I eat have already affected something?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 18th 2013, 05:59 PM

Foods to avoid while pregnant:
Alcohol
Caffeine (soda, coffee, tea, energy drinks… there are decaf versions of most drinks though were are completely safe)
Soft cheeses (example: goat cheese, blue cheese, etc)
Deli meat (any meat you put on a sandwich needs to be heated first)
Same goes for hotdogs (and do not ingest the fluid they are preserved in)
Fish with high mercury counts (like swordfish)
Limit your intake of canned tuna
Well cooked meat (try to your best to avoid rare meat, and never eat raw meat!)

Anything else for the most part is safe. If you are unsure a quick Google search is extremely helpful.

Yes, the food you eat now is affecting your baby, so be careful on what you ingest. That fact that you are even talking about food leads me to believe you don’t have morning sickness? It’s still possible it could come on. So just be careful when eating, eat small meals throughout the day. Try to avoid three large meals; it can make morning sickness worse.

Make sure to start taking prenatal vitamins as soon as you can. You can buy them over the counter or your doctor can write you a prescription. They will help supplement your diet, because it can be really hard to eat healthy when the only thing you can keep down is cream cheese wantons.

Try to eat as much fruit and veggies as possible and a good amount of protein.

I suggest, after you talk to your parents that you buy some pregnancy books. And if you have a smart phone, I recommend the My Pregnancy Baby Center app. It’s really useful.

P.S. Also remember that you can no longer take certain medications, even ones over the counter. Always double check anything you ingest!

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ChellyBean Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelly

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 18th 2013, 06:13 PM

I am going to buy prenatal vitamins soon and I don't take any medication. The only bad thing I drink is pop occasionally. I don't like fish or raw meat annd recently Deli meat makes me feel sick but other then that I don't have morning sickness yet. I don't think I really have any symptoms yet. No problem eating fruit and veggies I love that stuff lol I just really like things like cake, ice cream, cinamin rolls, pie and chocolate and pizza xD

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 18th 2013, 06:25 PM

Oh and I forgot one of the most important things! Drink lots of water! You should strive for eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day. That includes juice, sports drinks (like PowerAde, Gatorade), milk, non-caffeinated soda (sprite, seven up, ginger ale, root beer), decaf tea and coffee (and yes Starbucks can make anything decaf!) and water. So make sure you are always sipping something!

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 18th 2013, 10:11 PM

There are lots of guides online for what to eat during pregnancy. Generally though, try to eat a balanced diet of meat/fish, dairy products, fruit and vegetables and complex carbohydrates such as pasta and cereals. You need to ensure you're having enough protein and calcium for the baby's growing requirements.

That's really good that you eat fruit and vegetables. Don't panic too much about the junk food you've been eating - it's not going to harm your baby but then again it's not good for either of you as it contains very little nutrients!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 18th 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChellyBean View Post
I am going to buy prenatal vitamins soon and I don't take any medication.
I don't know where in Canada you live but if you live near a Sobey's there's a program you can sign up for that gives you free prenatal vitamins for your whole pregnancy, a care package (it's different depending on when you sign up but ours had diapers and diaper rash cream in it). The only thing you have to put up with is an informative email about pregnancy every week (which isn't a bad thing really).
I highly recommend it to anyone, my wife signed up and it's pretty awesome.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 19th 2013, 05:06 AM

Well, I would ask for a recommendation on prenatal vitamins from your doctor. If you get a script, you can sometimes get them free at large grocery stores. Wal-mart, Meijer, and Kroger may offer free prenatals with a script. I do not know if the program is still in effect.

Potentially yes, but a lot of women do not realize they are pregnant till about then and they deliver healthy babies. It is important you start eating healthy now though.

http://www.meijer.com/content/conten...natal_vitamins

I would also consider asking for a script for Zofran just in case you experience severe morning sickness. The only downside with Zofran is that sometimes people experience diarrhea or constipation.

At 8 weeks, don't eat like you're eating for two. You don't really need to increase your caloric intake till later on. [Edited by Kitty.]

I would consider making smaller changes. Instead of eating a sugary cereal in the morning, try eating oatmeal with strawberries or cinnamon. Add in whole grain bread for sandwiches. Add in some raw veggies. Instead of chips for a snack, try celery with peanut better or carrots with hummus. Make it a goal to add in a vegetable each meal. Instead of having spaghetti with canned sauce, start making your own sauce.

You can eat hotdogs and deli meat but you have to recook it to 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, when cooking meat you should always follow the recommended temperatures (you can find charts online). I always cook the meat to a proper temp when cooking for other people. Also, wash vegetables and watch for recalls on veggies/meats. Food poisoning is not fun for anyone regardless of whether they are pregnant.

Start drinking milk instead of coffee or pop. Increase your water intake too. When you take your prenatal vitamin, take it with a meal and with a glass of water too. It may help with nausea with some of the vitamins. After you deliver the child, remember that the US Surgeon General recommends women of all childbearing ages take a multivitamin with folic acid.

Last edited by Kitty.; July 19th 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Calorie numbers are not allowed on TeenHelp.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Neville333 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 23rd 2013, 08:21 AM

Eat healthy and balanced foods and avoid all unhealthy, alcohol, and junk foods to maintain your health and fight against the diseases during the pregnancy.
Raw veggies foods, protein foods, and fresh fruits juices are the best choices during the pregnancy.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 23rd 2013, 04:39 PM

Since I am not allowed to post caloric intake numbers, I will post a link which will help you in realizing that it is important not to eat for two like the media has traditionally recommended.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

(#10 (permalink)) Old
pagetwashington Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paget Washington

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 26th 2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChellyBean View Post
I know your supposed to eat healthy when your pregnant. My problem is I have always been bad for eating a lot of junk. I eat out a lot I eat junk food a lot I really like sweet stuff and in the last couple weeks I been wanting it even more I wonder if maybe that's cravings? But what kinds of things should I start eating now to make sure my baby is healthy? and at 8 weeks pregnant could the way I eat have already affected something?
It seems like like this is your first pregnancy ?? If it is so then yes it happens a bit during the first 3-4 months but then its like a regular eating But as you depicted that you are in a habit of eating junk food so please try avoiding such thing do take a little diet of healthy vegetables, fruits and if you like well then try for a glass of milk it would definitely help you to increase your health plus your baby also
Lastly All the Best!!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Neville333 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 27th 2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville333 View Post
Eat healthy and balanced foods and avoid all unhealthy, alcohol, and junk foods to maintain your health and fight against the diseases during the pregnancy.
Raw veggies foods, protein foods, and fresh fruits juices are the best choices during the pregnancy.
Any comment?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Healthy eating during pregnancy? - July 29th 2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neville333 View Post
Any comment?
Sweet fruit juices may not be the best for pregnancy. It would be better to eat the fruit to get the added benefit of fiber.

Closed Thread