TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Word blindness? - October 11th 2013, 04:46 PM

I don't know if thre's really such a thing as this but I have this really unusual thing where I misread words as something else. Words like Stuff I'll read as Stiff or think one word says something completely opposite to what it actually says. Sometimes I'll write people as please or vice versa and when I'm writing by hand I always seem to miss letters out of my words so words like Could would be written as Coud and then I realise I've missed out an L after I re-read. Other times I'll write something out and I'll write out words that come after what I first need to write so if I'm writing "There is a red fox over there" I'll write it as "There is a fox there" or something similar.

I don't really think this is classed as dyslexia is it? I can see the words perfectly fine. I admit I do have trouble determining things like my right from my left, I always get the mixed up and I do misread things. Nothing jumps about on my screen or at least I don't think it does, just somehow I'll manage to misread words as something else or I'll forget to add letters to words on the occasion. I admit I have been curious and done dyslexia tests online but mainly as a joke for myself but they seem to always come out with high and positive dyslexia scores. Not that I'd really go by them because I can't guarantee they're accurate. But I was wondering if anyone else suffers similar as this or knows what it really is?

I know I could go to my GP but already I've been to my GP about a numerous amount of things lately and I feel uncomfortable constantly returning at the moment so I usppose it would be nice to have someone's unprofessional opinion instead for the time being.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Word blindness? - October 11th 2013, 08:30 PM

Hey Sarah, I do this sometimes too. I have a lot of vision related problems so I always assumed it was because of that, but it may not be. I don't have the writing problem, but I do read words out of order, miss words while reading, or misread words as other words (and have to re read because the sentence doesn't make sense). I've tried the dyslexia tests too out of curiosity, but they always ask to see if it's related to vision and I don't have proof that it isn't. It couldn't hurt to get tested if you wanted to, especially if it's starting to interfere with your life.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Word blindness? - October 14th 2013, 04:48 PM

I rarely have a lot of the same issues as you, but I think you are not the only one that has these same issues. I think what you are experiencing could be related to dyslexia or some type of disorder that is almost like dyslexia.

I think the best thing for you is to seek a professional that is specialized in this sort of area. But, I think you may have "Attentional dyslexia". "Attentional dyslexia" is a disorder in which children/kids are identifying letters correctly, but the letters jump between words on the page, e.g., "kind wing" is read as "wind king" or "red fox" is being read as "fed rox", etc. Here is some more information regarding Attentional dyslexia: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20832785

Member Since 1/15/2012

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Word blindness? - October 14th 2013, 08:19 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem at least and thank you very much Cathy. I didn't even know something like that existed so I may very well bring it up when I next see my doctor then. Thanks!

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Word blindness? - October 14th 2013, 08:31 PM

I definitely have these issues. While I'm not diagnosed with vision problems, and the general doctor said my vision is 20/20. I feel like I do have something up with my eyes. That being said I could be paranoid. I find it happens more when I'm writing notes or simply from writing quickly or something more of a careless mistake thing than from vision. Even in math I'd have similar issues. Some times when instant chatting with someone online, I'd write something and say never mind because I read it wrong and therefore answered wrong. For the longest time I pronounced the states North/South Carolina as Calorina and King Oedipus as Oepedius, because I misread the word. It's part of the reason why I'm such a slow reader. I don't know what it could be but it sounds like something to talk about with your doctor, when you have the chance.

Closed Thread