TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Bad Breath - December 31st 2013, 07:12 PM

Hey Everyone. I hope you're all doing well.

I was born three months early (my mom had toxemia), and as a result was in the hospital for those three months or so and had several developmental problems. Many of them have been eliminated or mitigated through occupational therapy, but I still have what occupational therapists refer to as Sensory Integration Disorder or Sensory Processing Disorder. It's not a recognized medical diagnosis (yet), but it is used to describe a set of abnormalities in one's senses. For instance, I have heightened taste, smell, and hearing. Some tastes and smells cause an instant gag reflex for me, and this is at the core of my problem.

Because of my reaction, it is impractical for me to use anything flavored with mint at all. This rules out nearly all toothpastes and most gum. I have to resort to using what is technically children's toothpaste -- it's the only thing mild enough to be tolerable. But, unfortunately, it does an inadequate job of freshening my breath. I often still (according to my parents and sometimes a trusty friend upon request) smell like what I've been eating, or like my breath is dry. In my mom's words, I smell like I've been eating "garbage" or "shit". Suffice it to say, it's not a good feeling...and there is very little I can do about it. The BEST thing I have is some cherry cough drops which can temporarily make my breath smell good. The thing with that is it's a nuisance to have to carry those, I certainly hate having my mom tell me to grab them because it just reminds me of the problem, and there may (I don't know) be health implications to using those a lot. I just hate having to wonder who has/hasn't noticed and how it might affect my friendships or future career plans. How might my clients/customers feel if I smell bad? Will I be able to have a career and take care of myself and my family if I seem like I can't be hygenic?

I apologize for this being so long, but it's a problem for me, and I guess I just need advice as to what I might be able to do/what products I might be able to use. Even toothpastes that the average person might consider mild can STILL make me gag, even if they contain no mint.

Thanks in advance, everyone.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Bad Breath - January 1st 2014, 08:16 PM

Could you talk to your dentist it might be that your dentist is able to prescribe or suggest a toothpaste that could help, would you be able to use a childrens mouth wash at all ? Here in the UK we have a toothpaste called sensodyne its for sensitive teeth I dont know how minty it is thought or anything like that.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Bad Breath - January 1st 2014, 09:12 PM

One option that came to mind is, baking soda. You can put some tooth paste on your toothbrush and dab some baking soda onto the paste. You can also just use it by itself with some water. However, using baking soda on your teeth a lot can harm them if you brush 3 times a day and use baking soda every time. I would try that for a little while once a day with baking soda or twice a day, once when you wake up then again before bed.

Another option is to see a dentist about bad breathe solutions? Is there any mouth wash that you can tolerate so you can rinse your mouth with. It might help with the bad breath.

Also, bad breathe can be caused by certain foods we eat, some foods cause a smelly breathe whereas, some don't cause much of a smell.

Take care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Re: Bad Breath - January 2nd 2014, 03:22 AM

Well, Do you floss? Flossing helps with bad breath because it stops food from decaying between your teeth. They do have adult flavored toothpaste. I know I've tried cinnamon before. And I have a friend who cannot stand mint mouthwash. There are actually berry flavored ones out there that work very well. I think she gets one by ACT. I'm not 100% positive that is the brand though

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Bad Breath - January 2nd 2014, 03:24 AM

Hey Chris,

As Lydia suggested, Sensodyne is a great toothpaste and it is available in the U.S in almost any grocery store such as Wal-Mart, Target, Costco, etc. I happen to use that toothpaste and it's not very minty compared to Crest and Colgate or other types.

Another thing you could try is mouth wash. Have you ever tried any before? I would recommend Listerine- however, it is a bit minty. Since you aren't really consuming it and basically spitting it all out, you could try that. Or like Chantal said, you could talk to your dentist about this and maybe he/she could recommend some mouthwash, toothpaste, or something that would work for you.

Hope this helps!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Bad Breath - January 2nd 2014, 04:04 AM

I absolutly can't use mint tooth paste it burns my mouth so damn much that I have to use kid tooth paste too. I currently use Oral-B Stages bubble gum flavor and it has bell,Ariel, and Cinderella on the front of the tub I know it sounds stupid but it does refresh my mouth and makes my breath smell good. So if your not obbosed to having princesses on the front I would try that one or I've also used crest pro-health stages fruit burst and its a monster Inc tub and that works really well for me too. So you might want to try one of those toothpaste maybe

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Bad Breath - January 3rd 2014, 03:26 AM

Are you brushing your teeth adequately? Long enough and often enough? Is it dry mouth that is causing the bad breath?

Someone mentioned talking to a dentist and I would recommend doing that. There are prescription meds too.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Bad Breath - January 5th 2014, 09:42 PM

What about cinnamon toothpaste? I used to use cinnamon toothpaste and it doesn't taste minty at all.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Bad Breath - January 6th 2014, 01:23 AM

My mum and brother use something called Tooth Soap. It's not toothpaste. It's basically a tiny soap-like strand which, with water, froths up in the mouth and they say it's excellent at cleaning their teeth and making their breath smell good. It has a lemon flavour to it, so it's not mint at all.

Another thing you could try is firstly, brushing your teeth without any paste on your brush at all, make sure you also brush your tongue as this is where a lot of bad breath can come from.

Life is for living, not for losing.

Closed Thread