TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dustin

Exclamation Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:19 PM

Does anyone know any home remedies for something that would like knock me out of the night time because I have such a hard time going to sleep like I will lay there for hours upon hours and still do not go to sleep.

Or does any OTC medicine seem to work particularly well for you... I am willing to try anything.

~Dustin
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hyper Sonic Offline
Banned
I can't get enough

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:22 PM

Going to bed when I'm tired instead of when the clock says I should works for me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:25 PM

yeah the prob is is I will lay in bed when I get tired... just can't ever fall asleep.
  Send a message via AIM to Dustin Send a message via MSN to Dustin Send a message via Yahoo to Dustin  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:36 PM

When I was sick Panadol cold and flu used to make me quite tired. But I would consult a doctor before talking any unnecessary medicine.
Also, having the tv low or music in the background often helps.

If you want an OTC drug, then a doctor or pharmacist is probably the best person to ask as they know their stuff and will know what to recommend according to your needs.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:42 PM

I don't know if you're into this sort of thing, but meditation worked really well for me. I was skeptical at first, but it did seem to make a difference for me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:42 PM

I have similar problem....found some drops that work wonders. They still your mind, and really help me relax and sleep.

There called calendula and from weleda...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:49 PM

Have you tried taking a warm shower before bed and then laying down with either music or tv on really low?

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:50 PM

I would avoid all sleeping pills, the experiance is not quite like a sleep more like a knock out effect. They are different.

Tips for falling to sleep, reading to be honest. I always read before I go to sleep, medical journals. It's good for your memory and it's also pretty good to send you to sleep. Although I have some weird dreams about medical situations ... lol

(#9 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:50 PM

Taking melatonin (it is an OTC supplement), drinking Camomile tea before bed, limiting sugar/caffeine several hours before bed, start exercising (it can help you spend extra energy and get a more restful sleep at night)

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Dustin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymz404 View Post
I would avoid all sleeping pills, the experiance is not quite like a sleep more like a knock out effect. They are different.

Tips for falling to sleep, reading to be honest. I always read before I go to sleep, medical journals. It's good for your memory and it's also pretty good to send you to sleep. Although I have some weird dreams about medical situations ... lol
heh the sad thing is that I can take quite a few Tylenol PM or OTC Sleep medicine and still be wide awake...
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
heh the sad thing is that I can take quite a few Tylenol PM or OTC Sleep medicine and still be wide awake...
That is odd, have you spoken to a Doctor about this? Because if not , they should be running tests on you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 02:00 PM

I have heard that if you drink celery juice it helps you fall asleep.
I've never tried it though, because I hate celery and I think it's pretty nasty.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 02:13 PM

I put on soft music in the background and I meditate. Meditation really helps you to relax and deep breathing can help you fall asleep since it slows your mind, sorta. You could try reading and taking a warm shower, like mentioned.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
*Kurai-Miko*
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Holly

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
Have you been using these types of medications regularly to try and sleep? I used to be on prescribed medication to help me sleep, however, after a while my body adjusted to the dose and it stopped working. My doctor kept increasing the dose until I just gave up on the medication.

Also, your internal clock that tells you when to go to sleep might be messed up. I've been going to bed so late for so long it is next to impossible for me to fall asleep anytime before 2 or 3 in the morning (and that's with trying to get to bed at a decent hour.) Do you have a routine bed time? If you don't, then try to set a time in which you go to bed and keep to it for a while. Do what the others have suggested when trying to actually get to sleep - meditation, reading, quiet music, etc. Eventually it should get easier for you to fall asleep because that is what your body is used to.

Not being able to sleep is brutal, and I completely sympathize with you. Good luck and I hope some of the suggestions help! =]

I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing
With a broken heart that's still beating.
In the pain, there is healing.
In your name, I find meaning.
So I'm holdin' on ...
I'm barely holdin' on to you.
-- Broken: Lifehouse --
  Send a message via MSN to Forgotten--Simplicity  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
IMissPadfoot Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 03:26 PM

Try having a warm bath before bed, and I hear Valerian tea is very good for helping people sleep

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 03:42 PM

hmm, is your diet okay? also, try going to bed and waking up at the same time ALL the time, also don't do anything that will set your mind buzzing for an hour before bed, e.g. reading a book instead of surfing the net

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 13th 2009, 10:41 PM

Don't worry, Advil PM does absolutly nothing for me. No matter how much I take.

What they gave me when I was in the hospital, they gave me Benadryl. While it can be really addicting, if you're watching yourself, I've really found it to help. Be sure to consult a doctor before taking anything for anything other than what the label says though.

Don't lay in bed for hours, you'll psych yourself out. After like twenty minutes, if you still can't sleep, get up and do something mindless, and obviously, don't go stare at a bright light. Haha. Do something like, grab a book, do a crossword puzzle if you like those, listen to some (non-stimulating) music.
Just try to relax, and don't worry about getting to sleep. Or else you'll worry so much you can't sleep. If you have this problem, then I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Is your bed/pillow/blanket comfortable? It sounds silly sometimes, but you have to make sure where you're sleeping is comfortable to you.
If you're really stressing out about stuff, this isn't helpful either. Before you go to bed, write. Like write out everything on your mind. And put a notepad by your bed, and if you think of things to do, or things you want to remember, write them down and lay down again. It kind of helps clear your mind.

Don't take a shower before bed!! Rule of thumb, showers normally wake you up, baths usually make you more tired. Bath's really help just like relax and stuff. (And, even though you're a guy, c'mon, bubbles are freaking amazing!!)
And I have to point this one out since my teacher decided to tell me this to help me sleep since I was falling asleep during class Sex makes you tired! Like an hour before you're ready to sleep, yeah? Haha.

Hm. If you find anything that really works, be sure to let me know! I'm always looking for ideas to help me out.

Good luck!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 14th 2009, 12:41 AM

The are a bunch of factors that go into being able to sleep. Melatonin, which is used to produce serotonin, is made when your skin is exposed to sunlight. Exercising regularly helps. Pay attention to what you eat and drink.

When you actually get into bed, you need to calm yourself down somehow. A good way is to focus on something that can hold your attention but which is otherwise boring. Then there is meditation, hypnosis, putting yourself in a trance, etc...

And, of course, there are drugs. There are over the counter things, and there are prescription drugs.

Knowing all this, I still have trouble getting to sleep. I hope you are able to find a way to sleep.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Melissa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: <3.Melissa.<3

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 14th 2009, 03:09 AM

I used to have this problem pretty bad and wouldn't be able to fall asleep until after 12am which is pretty bad especially when you have to get up early in the morning. My sisters good friend studies homoeopathy and she gave me some really good remedies which helped alot. She also recomended to never take sleeping pills because they are really bad for you and can do alot more bad than good. You could see a homoeopathist they are quiet expensive but do help. But if not you could try drinking some herbal tea before bed and cutting out caffeine, meditation and relaxation, reading. etc. It depends what works for you.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Fallen Angel Offline
Broken Pieces of Destiny
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chelsea

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 14th 2009, 06:10 AM

Me and my brother use something called Melatonin (sp?).

It is a concentrated form of the hormone your brain produces when you are tired. Take the required dose (always read the label) about 20 minutes before going to bed; but be sure to do relaxing things after you've taken them. Otherwise your mind will be in overdrive and they won't work.

Apparently you can buy them over the counter in the US, and they are frequently used by pilots to combat jet lag.

They also tend to make you feel more refreshed when you wake up as well.. I like them

There'sAlwaysFreeCheeseInsideTheRatTrap . . . .

www.formspring.me/squishyspoons
  Send a message via MSN to Fallen Angel Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Angel 
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 17th 2009, 05:16 AM

i don't know what stuff is called in the states but i know you can get similar stuff, i use badger sleep balm which isjust like all these nice smelling oils that incourage sleep and relaxion, you put them on your major pulse points and it pretty much stops ur brain moving so fast. i know lush do something similar as do boots over here so i would assume wallgreens or wal*mart would

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Tips for falling asleep... - January 17th 2009, 05:45 AM

Horlicks malted milk,exercise through the day to make you tired,relaxing music,an hour or so or relaxing before bed.
Try seeing your doctor.

Closed Thread