TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Bed & Back Problems - February 16th 2016, 08:10 AM

Morning all.

I'm hoping some of you lovely TH-ers can give me some tips. Firstly, I injured my back when I was 16 going down a series of waterslides. One said 'feet first only', but I was pushed down headfirst and the bottom of the slide was an L shape so my back went out and I was in agony for about three or four days afterwards. So already it's a bit sensitive and gets tired and sore really easily.

The bed I have currently, I got in December 2014. It was cheap, but it was beautiful and matched what I wanted to do with my room perfectly. Unfortunately the wooden slats that go across the frame and support the mattress have almost all fallen out. This has been a problem from the start, but you get what you pay for. Time and time again I'd take the mattress off, put the slats back, and then the second I sat back on the bed they'd fall out. It didn't bother me much so I just left it. But it's at the point now where almost all of them have fallen out and my back and neck are really suffering. All up my right side/back feels almost like I've pulled a muscle. I wake up whenever I move at night because it kind of pangs when I roll over. My neck is just painful and stiff, I can't look over my left shoulder at the moment. Which causes a problem when driving because I need to be able to look all around me and not just rely on my mirrors.

Unfortunately I don't get paid until the 28th, which is two weeks away, so I'll have to wait a while. What can I do between now and then to try and minimise the pain from this bed?

I was considering removing the bed altogether. I've slept on a mattress on the floor before and it's not that bad as a short term solution. Unfortunately I'm not able to sleep on the couch for various reasons and we don't have an airbed or a spare room.

Any tips you lovely people have on pain management would be amazing. Stretches, creams, yoga, painkillers, anything. I don't care at this point.

I will get around to seeing my doctor about it if it keeps going after I change my bed. I fully believe I'm just stiff from being so unsupported during the night but if it's another issue I'll happily get that seen to.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Bed & Back Problems - February 17th 2016, 01:19 PM

Hey Louise,

First, for the bed, look around your house for some foam. You can put the foam on the top of the mattress (under the fitted sheet) to give you more support and cushion.

As for your back, try taking a hot bath and take some tylenol as well. A massage from a friend could be beneficial as well. As for creams, here in America, we have a cream called BenGay. It's an analgesic heat rub used by athletes when they get sore muscles. I hope this helps!

Take care,
Kitty.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Bed & Back Problems - February 17th 2016, 02:14 PM

If I were you, I'd put the mattress on the floor, I am sure that that wi help a lot. If the mattress is the issue, maybe you can look into getting some sort of memory foam typed thing. You could always save up for a whole new mattress, but as someone who's also in the market for a new bed I can say that they are expensive for a good one (probably around $1000 - $1400 but less if they're on sale) and will probably require a little saving.

Ok, so for back pain, yes, I am in the market for that too - I fractured my spine about 4 years ago, and have had to figure a few things out. One suggestion is to definitely see a doctor to get an xray or mri done if you haven't already. If your still experiencing pain in your back, you should make sure that there is nothing still causing damage or problems. Another is to talk to a physiotherapist, your doctor can give you a referral so it can be covered by insurance (which you might want to look into), but it is also possibly affordable out of pocket, depending on how tight your financial situation is. The physio person can give you exercises and tips to work out your back and improve core strength (core strength is really important to protecting your back). The reason I don't think you should just consult Google is because Google might pull up results that tell you to do exercises/stretches that won't necessarily be the right choices for you and could actually make things worse if you're dealing with a back problem. Seeing someone who's studied kiniesiology and is into physio will ensure you get something specific to you and your medical/physical history.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#4 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Bed & Back Problems - February 17th 2016, 04:16 PM

Thanks so much for your input!

I'm definitely going to put my mattress on the floor. After struggling to do my filing yesterday I decided I'd had enough. So last night I bought a sturdy divan bed with a fancy memory foam spring gel something whatever mattress. It's on a finance plan so I'll pay it off over a year and a half instead of paying the full amount up front, which I could NOT afford. Yikes.

I'm 100% certain it's the bed, because the support for the mattress has basically collapsed, so in getting a new (bigger!) bed with a proper mattress and everything I'm hoping it will solve the issue. It's not being delivered until the 19th of March though so I might have to see a doctor. :/
The only doctor who works when I'm available is completely useless so I'd have to either take time off work or come in an hour or so late to see the doctor who is actually helpful. It's something I'll look at doing and speak to my boss about if the pain doesn't get any better over the next couple of weeks. Hopefully sleeping on the floor will make a difference.
No worries about insurance, I live in Scotland so unless I want to go private, all my healthcare is 100% free. I'm just wary because I had this haircut a few weeks ago (some fancy deal that was on offer), and that involved a head, neck and shoulder massage. It was really painful and I hated every second so I'm kind of against people touching my neck at the moment. Especially since it already hurts so much now (though not as a result of the massage, this happened a few weeks after).

I'm going to try and get my electric blanket hooked up to lie on for a while and maybe get one of those microwave beanie things for my neck. I'll definitely try your suggestions too! I need to be able to drive and right now it's dangerous because I can only turn my head so far to either side.

Hopefully it won't be a problem for long, just holding out until the 19th and praying I don't need to take any time off work between now and then. My sickness absence record is spotless, I refuse to let ridiculous and debilitating pain get in the way of that.

We are the rainbow

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Bed & Back Problems - February 19th 2016, 01:58 AM

Hey.

I actually have a similar problem currently - I threw my back out late last year and it hasn't fully recovered yet. It was quite bad for a few days, but now it's eased off so that it only hurts when I do particular activities for too long uninterrupted. So I'm going to list a few things that have helped me, and maybe they can help you too.
  • Heat. I've found that lying on a heat pack or using an anti-inflammatory gel on the area has been helpful. The brand I use also has a gel patch that you can apply to the area to give relief for a few hours. I'm not sure what there is like that where you are, but there's probably something similar.
  • Stretches. I've been doing these stretches for a while (I know it seems kind of like a clickbait article, but I've found them useful at least). The trick is to find something that loosens up the right muscles (gently), so try a few and see what happens. Obviously be very careful with this as you don't want to do further damage, but if you can find a stretch that helps ease the pain then that could help get you through until your new bed gets here.
  • Relaxing. Especially if I've been driving or just sitting for a long time, I'll lie down flat on the floor (sometimes elevating my feet to take more of the pressure off) so that my back can readjust and relax a bit, while being fully supported.
  • Standing. I know you work at a desk, so is there any chance you could do that standing up sometimes? That way your back isn't bending and having to compensate for wherever the "weakness" is. You could also try supporting it by adding cushions to the chair, or putting your feet up, or anything else that you find gives you relief.
Since you're still in pain and won't be getting a new bed for a while, I would strongly recommend going to see someone about it. That's especially important since you mentioned neck pain as well, which (even though it sounds like they're separate injuries) could indicate a broader problem. Your GP might recommend a physio or chiro, which can definitely help make sure you're on the right track in terms of recovery and managing/reducing the pain.

Good luck with it all!

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Bed & Back Problems - February 23rd 2016, 06:20 PM

Thanks, Chess.

I've found that heat is quite good for it so I'm going to keep using that. Between that and the painkillers, I'm able to make the pain less intense. My doctor thinks it's a muscle spasm and has prescribed Diazepam, all that does it make me sleepy and kind of fuzzy so I'm reluctant to keep taking it.

I was off work today, and my dad thinks I should take the rest of the week off because being at work obviously isn't helping if it's just getting worse. Unfortunately, I can't afford to take that much time off out of the blue. It's kind of difficult between thinking about my team and the pressure it puts on them, but also thinking about my health. Being at home is frustrating because I'm not ill, if I was sick with food poisoning or something I'd be feeling run down and unable to work. But it's just pain so I feel agitated because I WANT to work, I just can't sit at a desk all day.
All I can do is wait for an appointment with the physiotherapist, hopefully they can help a bit. Until then, I can't move my head. Yay!

The joys.

We are the rainbow

Closed Thread