TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
alostpenguin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

Maybe I already have the disease but the virus is still dormant? - December 15th 2016, 02:48 AM

Hello guys, sorry I really haven't been active for the last several months, and sorry that I seem to only ever come here to ask for help, but I'm pretty scared now.

I'm not trying to self-diagnose myself again here (you guys taught me that, huge thank you), but I just want to know about some things. I really want to consult a doctor, I really do, but (I'm going to be honest about it here) I don't have the money and the insurance I got only helps me as far as emergency goes, so consultation isn't really included (I think, I'm going to ask my parents as soon as I have time, I live in another town now).

(I don't know if my story is important to describe my situation, sorry if I took your time )

I go to university now, rent a room, and basically live in another town. I moved here in August and I started to notice several animal droppings in the corner of my room, particularly in places close to food I kept in my tupperwares for overnight, but I thought it was a house lizard droppings that is not dangerous. After several weeks, two months or something, I finally found out that it's a house mouse dropping. I freaked out, basically went paranoid, started thinking of the diseases it might have contracted to me before thinking "I've been living here for two months and I'm fine, I guess it's no use freaking out, I better clean all this shit and just pray to God nothing bad happened."

I cleaned all the mess up, kept my room super clean, and the mice stopped entering my room. No more new feces. Until now. So I bought some superglue for mouse traps and trapped one of them. (I'm still trying to trap the other, I don't find any nest, but to my knowledge there are two of them.) The room next to mine is empty and I set the trap there and I trapped one of them but I haven't cleaned it up because I'm scared to go near it. Anyway, I did go near it last night to look if the trap worked but I didn't touch it (I even put on a mask) and I regret it because when I looked under the table the whole thing was relatively close to my face and I read somewhere that the majority of diseases carried rodents spread through airborne dust dispersal of their saliva, feces, urine, and basically their being. I might wore a mask but if the dust settled on, let's say, the mucous surface of my eyes, I still get the disease.

What I wanted to ask: I have been exposed to their feces for months now (I'm pretty sure I haven't accidentally eat it, but I don't know if the plates I kept in the kitchen are not contaminated although I always wash it before and after I eat, and those airborne dust thing is basically unavoidable) but I still feel fine. I don't feel abnormally dehydrated, fatigued, short of breath, feverish, or things like that. I feel normal. But some of these diseases agents are virus and it's the lysogenic cycle that I'm afraid of. Is is possible I already have the virus in my body but it's still dormant? Is it possible for viruses from rodents have a lysogenic life cycle for this long? Or maybe the mice here just don't have those diseases? Also, if I decide to take a check-up, what should I ask for? Do they have services for people who just "I don't know if I'm sick or not, I don't know what disease I have, but I'm afraid I have diseases contracted by rodents" or something? Like, I thought blood tests can only be done if we already know what we're trying to find so they can set the antigen or something and see if we have it or not?

(I live in Bandung, Indonesia, around 2520 feet above sea level, 27 degrees celsius at day and 20 degrees celsius at night, in a very urbanized and pretty crowded city.)

Thank you thank you so much for your time, sorry if this post is total shit and is a waste of space, I'm just at loss at what to do.

Abigail.

I took the one l e s s traveled by

And that has made a l l the difference

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Maybe I already have the disease but the virus is still dormant? - December 15th 2016, 09:52 AM

Hey Abigail,

No need to apologise for coming to us when you want help- that's what we're here for!

It's really good that you are trying to avoid self-diagnosing, as I'm sure you're aware that doesn't help much aside from increasing your anxiety levels. At the same time, it is understandable you would be more concerned about things when you worry you can't afford to see a doctor. I'm glad you came to us anyway

Is it possible to complain to the letting agency or landlord about the possible mice infestation? That should be something that they should be dealing with. You are right in thinking that since you were living there for two months and you are fine, it's unlikely that any harm has come from having the house mice around. House mice in general are more of a bother, eating/chewing things up and pooping everywhere, but aside from that they are pretty harmless (I had many house mice in my house a while ago, so I know the pain of trying to clean up after them and such). They may have some diseases, but they are much less harmful to your health than rats.

Since you are working on trapping the mice, and cleaning up, it's good that you've remembered hygiene too. If you feel fine, try not to worry about whether you have anything or not. If you start to develop symptoms, then by all means try to see a doctor, but otherwise, it's nothing major to worry about.

Your post wasn't a waste of space at all. I remember worrying about similar things when I had mice, as they were running around every room in the house so it was hard to avoid their droppings and such. But as long as you work on getting rid of them, and keeping up good hygiene, there's not much to worry about

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
alostpenguin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

Re: Maybe I already have the disease but the virus is still dormant? - December 27th 2016, 11:24 AM

Hello Celyn, thank you for the reply! I was thinking of complaining to the landlady but, well, uh, we have a difficult relationship so I'm thinking of moving out and rent another room at another place. Anyway thank you for your support! I'm spending the holiday with my parents in my hometown and they agreed on me moving to another place once I get back there again. And I still feel fine so yeah, I'm trying not to worry about getting infected and things that much

Again, thank you for your kind support! Sorry I tend to reply threads slow hehe )

Abigail.

I took the one l e s s traveled by

And that has made a l l the difference

Closed Thread