TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DisneyGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Sore throat for over a week! Thinking the worst - February 4th 2017, 10:50 PM

Hey guys, I'm a 17 year old female. Over the past week I've had a bit of a sore throat, it's worse at night and in the mornings but is pretty bearable. I haven't had a runny nose, fever, or anything. On Thursday I went to the school nurse and she looked in my throat and told me that I had drainage and to drink lots of water and rest. Yesterday I went to the dr after school because I've been googling my symptoms and am terrified of cancer or something. I explained everything, my voice has been pretty hoarse the past few days too. He examined my throat and everything and told me that there is post nasal drip ( drainage ) in the back of my throat and that it's viral and no antibiotic is required and sent me on my way. However, I'm still scared. I know that I should trust my dr but I just don't. I definitely do have drainage in the back I can feel and see, I if I clear my throat it helps my hoarse voice and it doesn't hurt too bad today. I spit up some of it at work ( sorry it's gross ) and it was reddish so I began panicking. I have been eating cherry cough drops a lot today so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. I don't know. Im trying to be reasonable and tell myself that my Dr. knows what he's doing but I'm still scared. Any guys have similar experiences?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Sore throat for over a week! Thinking the worst - February 5th 2017, 02:39 AM

Hey!

I'm so sorry you're feeling ill! I have post nasal drip for several months because I have bad allergies. Since you were sucking on cherry candies that would be why the phlegm was red.

Now that I work in the health field, I cringe whenever someone google diagnoses themselves.. it always leads to cancer. Trust your doctor. He's the right one to take advice from instead of Dr. Google.

Feel better!
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SirJordan Offline
Twitter: @sirjordanhardy
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jordan

Re: Sore throat for over a week! Thinking the worst - February 5th 2017, 03:48 AM

Never google diagnose. You have a sore throat, probably from some cold or infection going around. It'll pass

"Carefree, wherever we may be. We are the famous CFC" - Chelsea Football Club
  Send a message via Yahoo to SirJordan  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Sore throat for over a week! Thinking the worst - February 6th 2017, 02:45 AM

The thing with Googling results is that they're not physically seeing you. They can't physically look at you and what you are experiencing or talk to you about what has been going on these past few days.

The reason your phlegm is red very well might have to do with the cherry cough drops. Admittedly I've done that sometimes too. I'll either drink something red or eat something with red in it and when I spit and see red, I get nervous before realizing that it's probably from what I ate.

Your doctor is right that since it is viral there's nothing he can prescribe you anything, because antibiotics don't work on viruses. Perhaps there's something over the counter you can try to take to relieve some of the symptoms, though. I'd ask your doctor or at least a parent if you're not sure though. As Brittany said, one issue that could be causing it is allergies, so that's something to look into, or it could be from a cold.

Hope you feel better!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Thadvan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sore throat for over a week! Thinking the worst - February 8th 2017, 04:12 AM

Try gargling warm salt water. It works.

Closed Thread