TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

Unhappy Strep Throat - March 10th 2017, 12:13 PM

I was sick for about a week with a painful sore throat, and today I finally went to the doctor. They've diagnosed me with Strep Throat. Talking is super hard, so is eating or drinking. I'm on antibiotics at the moment but there's no relief I've refrained from talking. I kinda lost my voice too.

I don't know what else to do.
Except cry.

Do you have any remedies or something to make my life easier. It feels like there's razor blades, needles and knifes in my throat.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ikigai Offline
la razón de vivir en japonés
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

Re: Strep Throat - March 10th 2017, 04:47 PM

Hi Delwen,

sorry to hear you're suffering from an illness. I'm no doctor to be honest, but I can give you some suggestions about what you could do besides taking antibiotics.
I think you should drink a lot, but neither cold nor hot drinks - warm ones would be the best. Besides you should avoid acidic stuff, like fruit juices, so that they don't irritate your throat. Warm, thick soups usually work for me when I'm sick.
What always soothes my throat apart from soups is honey. I tend to mix warm water with honey and add very little lemon and then 'eat it' with a spoon. Works miracles.

Except for these methods, you said you were on antibiotics. Endure a little bit longer and I'm sure the medicine will work eventually. It might be painful, but you'll be fine in no time!

Get well soon and have a great day/night,
Sue~

Nada es verdad, todo está permitido

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Strep Throat - March 10th 2017, 08:41 PM

Hi, Delwen!

I'm really sorry you have strep throat. I know sore throats in general are painful, but strep throat is even more painful. While I'm not a doctor and can't give a professional opinion, I can give you advice from personal experience with sore throats that I hope will help.

Drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest. Drinking tea and putting honey in it for sweetener can help sooth your throat. If you're having more of a difficult time talking due to mucus/phlgm in the back of your throat, I've found that lemon juice helps break it up.

Have you tried lozenges or throat sprays? Lozenges can be soothing. Recently I've been sick and I got a throat spray that numbs your throat. The effect only lasts for about 30 minutes but it's relieving and worth it. You should feel better soon if you continue taking the antibiotics but taking steps in soothing your throat in the meantime is good.

I really hope you feel better soon, Delwen! Let us know how you're doing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Strep Throat - March 17th 2017, 01:06 AM

Hopefully you're over it by now but next time Google "magic mouthwash" and make some yourself. There are different formulas but the one that you can do yourself is made of liquid benadryl and liquid maalox. It's supposed to coat the throat so you don't drink for like 30 minutes afterwards. The benadryl may make you drowsy though. You take the amount based on age. In general, see the time period you would be allowed to take the medications (I think like every six or eight hours) based on the directions on the package and take the longer time frame. (I don't know the time frames off the top of my head).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FallonRose Offline
Mind Mischief
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Fallon

Re: Strep Throat - March 17th 2017, 06:03 AM

Last time I was sick with throat stuff, I would eat a whole tablespoon of honey to calm the irritation. I also like to gargle warm water and salt, that also helps sooth irritation. I hope you get to feel better soon!

Live Help Mentor 4/29/2017
Message me if you need anything.

Closed Thread