TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Unhappy Awful back pain - May 21st 2017, 03:20 AM

About 3 weeks ago I woke up with unbearable back pain in my lower back, specifically I would describe it right on my spine. I've always had minor back pain since I could remember, except once when the sports medicine doctor did something to stretch out my legs and it didn't hurt for a good year and a half. But that day the pain was like nothing I've ever felt. I had to go to my therapy appointment that day and I thought walking it out would stretch out my back and I would gradually feel better but it didn't help at all and I was crying by the time I arrived at the office, something that I never do because when I have physical pains I usually don't end up crying over them so I knew it was serious.
I went to my doctor a few days later. It still hurt then tremendously but not as much as that day. She checked my back, made me stretch some which made the pain worse, then began to poke around my back for soft spots. There was one particular spot that really hurt, made me jump up in pain. There were also some spots that were tender and hurt just a little. She referred me to a back class where they're gonna teach me some stretches and such, and gave me some guidelines to some stretches. She also gave me a big dose of ibuprofin.
Well, I've been doing all that, and next week I'm gonna go to the back class, but nothing is helping at all. I called my doctor again to make another appointment because that really sore spot on my spine is concerning me and I want some sort of x-ray or mri done or something to check that out and they were going to check it out, but then they contacted me again to ask me if anything has changed. Since I'm moving from my dorm to my summer location, they said that's probably why it still hurts and I shouldn't be concerned and once I finish moving then I'll be fine and an x-ray won't help or nothing so I just have to deal with it.
I still wake up with bad back pain everyday and I've been stressing over it so much I can't do anything. The pain is so intense it makes me sleep most of the day away anyways. Does anyone have any advice to why this could be happening? Or anyone know anything to do to alleviate the pain?

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thinking Offline
Think, and solve problems!!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ivan

Re: Awful back pain - May 21st 2017, 05:05 AM

I am so sorry to hear that, I knew something is off when you told me you are taking ibuprofin for that

- Monitor your back postures actively. Do you tend to have bad postures that is straining your back? Check for example your sleepng postures, or how yout sitting posture while using a computer. As hard it can be, even though it might be painful, try your best to make sure its in the right posture. If your chair is uncomfortable, perhaps a soft object like a pillow between your back and the seat might help.

- Have you been sleeping enough? I can understand that chronic back pain like your case can make sleeping extremely difficult, but being sleep deprived will make it harder for you to recover from the back pain. But the other extreme of it is to get enough exercise. Lying with the back pain can make it worse. Take a slow walk and some light stretching, but be careful not to overstrain your back!

- Sometimes when it get really bad, have a cold pad or a hot pad with you and place it at your back. It can help relieving the pain, even if its temporary! Back pains are just like other pain, its caused by inflamation. So applying cold pad can reduce pain and inflammation for that injury, while a hot pad help relax your back muscles.

I am not a professional, so it will be good to discuss about the possible medications and thrapies with your doctor. I am thinking that ibuprofen might not work well for you since you mentioned you are having a large dosage of that but it didn't helped.

Take care of yourself!

Do my best at everything I can to live a happy, perfect life.

Happy life won't come by being happy everyday. Struggle and always work hard.

Forgive other's imperfection, they will work hard about it once I point it out to them, just like what I should be doing.

On the other hand, never tolerate with my own mediocrity. Never slack and always strive improvement.

Never settle. Never give up.

Last edited by Thinking; May 21st 2017 at 02:58 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thinking 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Awful back pain - May 21st 2017, 07:36 AM

I used to have back pain where I couldn't stand for more than 10 minutes. I went to a back doctor who prescribed exercise therapy. I went to a therapeutic exercise gym where they made me to exercises, stationary bicycle, "angry cat (I forget the other one)", stand against the wall, etc. Nothing really helped, though I suppose the exercise was good for me.

Then someone suggested I see their chiropractor. I was skeptical. (I think it's just my nature to be skeptical about everything.) I went. This chiropractor uses an actuator device. It's like a hammer that pounds on the spine in very specific places. He has my lie on the table face down, he wiggles my feet, tells me to put my right arm behind my back, then my left arm, then my right arm above my head, then my left, then arm behind my neck, all the time he moves my feet and legs, and somehow doing this he's able to tell exactly where in my back the problem is, and when he sees the problem, he goes to my spine, right to the specific vertebrae, puts the actuator hammer there, pounds it a few times, and it's fixed. He works his way from the bottom of my spine up to the top of my neck. He's also good with other joints if they need work, though mostly it's my spine.

And surprisingly after a few months it really did make a huge difference, and now I can stand for 40 minutes before it starts to hurt. (OK there may be something fundamentally wrong with my back, since I can't stand in one place for more than 40 minutes. Good thing I don't plan to be a cashier. I can walk though, or hike. Just standing in one place isn't a good option for me.)

So that kind of chiropractor does work for me.

The other kind of chiropractor that I've seen, a friend goes to, is the kind that says, lie down like this, now fold your arms and legs like this, and then he jumps on you, and "Crack!" and you're fixed. I'm OK with everything except that last part, but my friend says it's the best part and she seems to like it, and she brags about how many "cracks" he got out of her at each visit.

Now if my chiropractor were to see you, he might assess you and decide he didn't want to touch you, because your symptoms were too severe. I don't know. Any good chiro is going to first assess you and decide if he can help you or not.

My chiro can also read x-rays.

Some chiros though brag about how "the weight of a dime can throw off your whole system" and I'm not sure about them. They may be good when it comes to actual adjustments, but I get skeptical when they go for the "you really need this because the weight of a dime can kill you" sales push. (My chiro never said that.)

Any chiro should be willing to at least see you and assess your condition. I've learned from experience that doctors aren't always the best when it comes to backs.

I've also read when it comes to back pain, doctors have been advised not to take x-rays or MRIs, because they usually don't find anything, all they find are little insignificant things, but the medical association found that doctors tended to follow up on the little insignificant things, because they had nothing else to go on, and they went down this rabbit hole, and spent a lot of money getting nowhere, or they make the patient worse, by tinkering too much, so the latest advice is "don't take x-rays".

Of course the "take 2 aspirin and deal with it" isn't great advice either. It kind of means the doctors don't know what to do.

So, I suggest see if you can find a chiropractor who uses an actuator; or, if you don't mind someone jumping on you, there are some good ones who do it that way too. (Don't be afraid to shop around. If you don't like one, definitely shop around a little bit more.)

Best wishes!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: Awful back pain - May 21st 2017, 11:35 PM

Only you know what pain you have. If you feel you need further investigations ie x-ray or mri keep pushing for it. Honestly, not doubting the extensive knowledge of medical professionals as I am a nurse myself, but the amount of things that can get missed is unreal. It probably is caused by the sudden change by moving dorms etc and may just settle down after you resume to your normal activity level, however the level of pain you have described is worrying. Keep going back to your gp - fingers crossed t will start to improve!

''No pressure, no diamonds''

There may not always be a direct answer to a problem, but there is always a way to get through it.
Strength is the best quality of the human mind and body, and I believe everyone has it; whether they believe it or not. Look for that tiny glimmer of hope deep inside yourself and once you've found it let it blossom, glow and illuminate your life.

I'm always here if anyone wants to talk.

x x x

Closed Thread