TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Grinding my teeth - December 14th 2017, 02:22 PM

I think I might be grinding my teeth and I want to see what other people have experienced. As a note I have a dentist appointment on January 8th for a regular cleaning so I will be bringing it up then as well.

The main things I have noticed are that sometimes at night when I'm in that half-asleep, half-awake state I will actually wake myself up to the feeling of my teeth rubbing together.

I also have had sensitivity in my teeth sometimes. It is not consistent pain though, which I'd assume if it was a cavity it would be? I only have ever had a spot on my tooth, not a full-blown cavity. It is also in more than one tooth and the pain ranges from a mild nuisance to severe, to the point where one time I had a hard time brushing a tooth because of the pain.

I also chipped a tooth once while eating a Starburst, which was not fun.

I've Googled other symptoms and I don't have them all which is why I'm not sure but again asking the dentist.

I heard that if I am grinding my teeth I might have to be fitted for a mouth guard. This may be an issue due to not having dental insurance but also because I tend to gag on anything that is put in my mouth.

What's everyone else's experience with tooth grinding?

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Oregano Offline
it's a herb

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Delwen

December 15th 2017, 09:11 AM

I grind my teeth in my sleep only because of anxiety and stress. I've woken up plenty of times with a really really sore jaw. I've seen the dentist about it but can't get the mouth guard because it's really expensive but I do see the doctor every now and then to talk about all the stresses that's going on. It also runs in the family, especially my mum's side.

I've already chipped one of my teeth from grinding.

breathe. it's just a bad day, not a bad life.

Last edited by Melancholia.; December 16th 2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Merging two consecutive posts. :)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashen Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Grinding my teeth - December 16th 2017, 03:00 AM

I have the same problem. My dentist also suggested getting a night guard.
I found one at target for twenty dollars that was relatively easy to fit myself (not sure what your budget is but that could be a possibility??).

I will write my weakness into strength.

-Aeralie Brighton, Unbroken

Because I am fire.
And I know what fire is.

-K.V. Johansen, Gods of Nabban

"I will try.
Each day.
That's all I promise."

"As long as you will.
No longer.
It is enough."

-K.V. Johansen, Gods of Nabban

(#4 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: Grinding my teeth - December 18th 2017, 10:49 PM

i think i only ever want to do it because i want to scrape them together and get rid of some of the ugly stuff but i really shouldnt because there are better ways to clean teeth that dont harm them

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Grinding my teeth - December 19th 2017, 05:34 AM

I grind my teeth and clench my jaws but I don't do it in my sleep as much as I just do it when I am overly stressed. I know that you can get mouth guards for teeth grinding in stores and on amazon. I am guessing they probably don't work as great as the ones a person can get from the dentist but if you don't have dental insurance and aren't certain you will be able to use a mouth guard, it might be worth trying out a cheaper option and going from there.

I have family that grind their teeth a lot at night but haven't ever really gotten fit for a mouth guard. I know, for them, there are periods where they do it more (mainly when they are stressed) and at that time they will notice that they get headaches a bit more and their jaw aches a bit more. I don't think they have had a lot of the other symptoms associated with it either. Although, I think that just goes back to the fact that different people respond differently even in regards to the way things can effect them, physically.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Grinding my teeth - December 19th 2017, 09:41 PM

With ordering a guard online I’m just worried about the size. When I got my wisdom teeth out my dentist said I have a bit of a narrow airway and a “baby bird mouth” as he called it. I guess I have a small mouth haha. So I may have no choice but to get sized.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Grinding my teeth - December 20th 2017, 04:02 AM

That makes sense. If you talk to your dentist about it, you might be able to ask them if they think you could get away with one you buy in the store/online. If they don't than maybe it is possible that they would be willing to work out some type of payment plan?

If you think that grinding your teeth might be a newer thing, it is also possible that it will decrease and go away with time. I know that I have been told that sometimes people will grind their teeth a lot more when they are stressed than they normally would. I suppose the dentist I talked to about it could have been wrong (they weren't the best doctor in town) but I have found that I tend to grind and clench my jaw a lot when I am overly stressed.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Grinding my teeth - December 20th 2017, 03:06 PM

For personal experience with teeth grinding, I have more of an experience with what happens when you don't use a night guard depending on the severity. Three of my canine teeth are almost completely flat. The other one was sharpened to a point and I regularly bite/cut my mouth with it. I've also chipped a tooth because of grinding my teeth at night. I don't have dental insurance either and for a lot of reasons can't handle anything in my mouth. It also probably makes it worse that I have an overbite, too.

I think it might be beneficial to buy one online just to see if you would be able to handle something in your mouth at night while you sleep. If you end up doing okay with it, then it could be worth it to invest in getting a fitted one through your dentist.

I hope your dentist has some solutions for you! Whether it's assistance with getting a night guard, finding something else you can do to help prevent grinding your teeth, or at least something you can do to reduce the severity.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Closed Thread