TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Diet - Deficits vs Recommended - June 21st 2018, 04:45 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, because it contains weight figures, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

With the new CoC update, weight figures and diet methods are allowed in terms of healthy diet and exercising as long as marked with this nifty new prefix! So, please be aware that I am going to be mentioning a specific Calorie number in terms of a specific diet method.

So, I heard that a 1500 Calorie a day diet is a healthy way to lose weight. Note that I am not a doctor so I do not claim this as fact, but I have seen this online a lot. I do struggle to stick to this number though and do go higher, but I do exercise and enter what I eat onto my Fitbit when I know its nutritional content. According to my Fitbit, I am normally "in the zone" or "under target" when it comes to my intake because I normally burn a fair amount more than I take in, even though I don't stick to the 1500 Calorie a day diet and normally go over that amount. A lot of the time it will say that I have Calories left over.

So, I'm just wondering, even though I go over the recommended daily Calories, will I still continue to lose weight in a healthy way since I burn more than I take in? Like does it matter if I stick to 1500 if I burn more than I take in?

Would I still potentially lose weight, just slower, if I am "over target" according to my Fitbit, but still have a tiny deficit? And, how bad will it be if I go over in general sometimes and consume more than I take in if it's not a daily occurrence?

I just want to make sure I am able to continue making HEALTHY progress on my weight loss and that I'm not going to be setting myself back.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Diet - Deficits vs Recommended - June 22nd 2018, 01:02 AM

First of all, Dez, I want to say congratulations on making healthy choices regarding diet. When people see "healthy" they automatically assume health foods, as opposed to junk. But for individuals such as you and I, who struggle with managing our diets period and having an eating disorder, healthy just means using food appropriately, via portion size and number of meals per day.

I keep seeing different recommended calorie intake: 1200, 1500, and 2000. I really think that depends on gender, height, build, maybe ethnicity (if that makes sense), and daily activities. For me, I am happy with what I've taken in today, but I have no idea if I made hit the appropriate calorie goal. What I do know is that I ate over 1000 (but less than 1200) calories today, and that feels good enough for me. Is it restricting or binging? Doesn't matter, because to me I know I ate appropriately sized meals and number of meals throughout the day.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Diet - Deficits vs Recommended - June 22nd 2018, 11:32 AM

Ahhhhh the eternal question.
It's really quite tricky. First up, I would talk to a doctor to get a more accurate number. It varies from person to person, and also through factors such as (a) Excercise levels (b) What your sex is. I'm not saying gender, I'm simply using sex to explain the biology (c) Height/Size. So for example, as a tall male, who works out regularly to maintain I need close to 2000-2200 depending. Therefore, I would talk to your doctor and get a more accurate estimate.

Now that the number is out of the way, we'll move to your question. If you're burning more than you eat, yes you lose weight. The reason is this: Calories provide your body the fuel to run through the day. Now, if you burn more fuel than you eat, your body leans into other sources, such as your fat reserves, and hey presto, weight down.

Now you can go over ever so often. It's not a big deal if it's a one-off occurrence. Rather than a daily, I would look at a weekly estimate, if you can. So if you have a deficit through the week, you lose weight. And yes you will lose weight provided there is a deficit.

Now since you mention healthy weight loss, there are a few things to remember. If you eat too few calories, you may lose weight, at the expense of muscle and other such means. That is bad. So please please please, stay in a healthy range (and once again, talk to a doc for a goal first). Next, do not overtrain. There is a limit for your body. Assuming you don't train regularly, it is going to be lower than someone who trains regularly. So, that means, don't start doing HIIT 3 times a day, or running a marathon on day 1. Take it slow. If you're lifting weight, start very slow, and remember Form>weight.

Finally, stay away from XYZ fad diet. THEY ARE NOT GOOD. Neither are the XYZ challenges.

Hope this helps

Some additional reading:
Issue with overtraining
Simple calorie calculator (NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR A DOCTOR)

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

Last edited by TheAtomicBlade; June 22nd 2018 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Adding sources and a few things i forgot

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread