TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Routines in Hygene and health - August 6th 2018, 06:42 AM

[SIZE="a"]I'm pretty terrible about my hygene :/
Like I rarely shower, brush my teeth, put deorderant on and things along those lines. And it's not like I'm too busy to, I'm just unmodivated.
I basically ruining the three important parts of health (Mental, Social, and physical) by eating too much, not exercising, rarely going out, or anything really. I know part of my depression comes from lack of hygene and maintaining health, but...
how can I force a routine on myself?[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Routines in Hygene and health - August 7th 2018, 08:44 PM

Hey there,

Depression can leave us feeling unmotivated and we can neglect ourselves, which in turn can make us feel worse about ourselves. You've done well in admitting the issue you have with hygiene and I hope we can help you!

Sometimes when we lack energy, it can be overwhelming to change overnight and look after ourselves better. What might help is starting with small things and building it up. For example, start by trying to brush your teeth at least once a day (ideally twice) and if you can't be bothered to shower, then perhaps just wash your face and hands to freshen up a bit. Once you've got into the routine of doing these things, you can increase these things such as brushing your teeth once a day, having a proper shower at least once a week etc. You can also use reminders on your phone or post it notes to remind you to look after yourself. Alternatively, you could just jump into the deep end and make a routine of how often you will shower etc. and stick to it. Sometimes this can help as we might spend some time thinking negatively about how we are neglecting ourselves, when we could spend that time and energy taking care of ourselves to help us feel a bit better. Not only that but when we look after ourselves, we tend to feel a bit more energised (depression is a tricky thing because even though we lack motivation, what really helps is doing stuff).

Once you've got the basics sorted, you may feel more inclined to go out (at least I do!). We tend to think of exercise as something that is exhausting and not fun, but it doesn't have to be this way. Consider spending a little time outside, even if you only start by spending time in the garden or walking to the end of your street and back. Then perhaps take a short walk, find a park and walk through that or look through the shops in your area. Maybe find out something new, interesting or that you didn't notice before to help keep you motivated. Maybe offer to run errands for your family such as buying groceries or mailing post. Anything that gets you moving and gets you outside a bit is good! And when you get used to being out and about, you can always look into social clubs and groups in your area that you might be interested in to help you get out of the house.

Above all, be gentle with yourself. It takes time to get into a routine and there may be days where you skip things. Try not to be harsh on yourself and remind yourself that you are trying to look after yourself and do self-care even with depression. And that takes a lot of strength!

Take care

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread