TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Article Revival: Immunizations - August 18th 2018, 01:02 AM

Immunizations

It can be daunting and scary for children and adults to get vaccines to protect them against infections and diseases. A physician named Edward Jenner wanted to prove a theory that vaccines are effective. In 1796, he tested his theory on a boy by exposing him to cowpox; after the boy recovered, Edward Jenner found a vaccine to treat smallpox.

August is National Immunization Month. This author has written an article on immunizations http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f82-g...immunizations/ and the history of how immunizations were discovered.

Did you know the history of immunizations and how it was discovered?

Have you been vaccinated to prevent yourself from infections and diseases?

What are your thoughts about immunizations?

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Article Revival: Immunizations - August 18th 2018, 11:54 AM

This was a well written article!

I had heard about the history of vaccinations before but it's so easy to forget how vaccinations came about.

I had all my childhood and adolescent vaccinations. I think they are very important to have, not just for your own health but for everyone else too. I don't believe in the 'vaccinations can cause autism' debate though. And even if it was true, I still think the benefits outweigh the risks.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Article Revival: Immunizations - August 18th 2018, 05:07 PM

I have heard about the history of immunizations and how they were discovered. I took a personal interest in immunizations back in high school and since then would always try and write essays on the topic if I got the choice. For example, in high school I had to write a research paper so I did it on vacines and refuted the anti-vaccination movement. I'm also a public health major so we had to learn a bit about that in college.

I have been vaccinated! Growing up my mom basically got me any shot the doctor told her about, even if it wasn't one of the required ones. Now that I'm an adult I've still done the same and gotten vaccines that aren't necessarily required but beneficial. In fact, I'm going to the doctor in a few days to ask about a few.

My feelings can be summed up in: Vaccinate your kids people.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Name: Me

Re: Article Revival: Immunizations - August 19th 2018, 07:57 AM

I know there's the whole agruement about vaccines cause autism and all that. But I actually found out if all the general vaccines are given at once and it can trigger a reaction to the nerves. So if vaccines are given one at a time, it's less likely to cause the reaction.

Vaccines are important!

However flu shots are less nessacry,i think once every ten years it's fine, but every year is completely over doing it and your body will start seeing the flu virus as a friend.
(Sorry, I know thats unrelated but wanted to put it out there)

I should probably get a tentuis shot soon though.

I can reach out
To someone not like me
If you ask for help it doesn't make you weak

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Article Revival: Immunizations - August 19th 2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
However flu shots are less nessacry,i think once every ten years it's fine, but every year is completely over doing it and your body will start seeing the flu virus as a friend.
The reason we do the flu virus yearly, unlike other shots such as tetanus, is because the flu virus is a sneaky one. It changes yearly with what the virus will be. It’s pretty adaptive. Scientists use their best judgment on what strains will be prevalent in a given year and include those in the vaccine. Of course, sometimes they’re wrong, and sometimes you get a strain of flu not covered in the vaccine.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Article Revival: Immunizations - August 19th 2018, 04:41 PM

I learned something new when I read the article. I learned about Edward Jenner and how he discovered vaccines and he did it in a creative way. I am interested to read more on Edward Jenner because I feel it's important to me to be aware of the history.

I have been vaccinated as a child, teenager, and adulthood. I think it's very important to be vaccinated. I recently was due for my 10 year vaccine. Some vaccines I never received like the Gardasil vaccine. I have also got my Measles and Mumps vaccine updated when there was an outbreak here a few years ago.

I am on the fence about the flu vaccine. I stopped receiving the vaccine a long time ago. I have gotten flu since but if I ever run into issues I do visit my doctor or in one case recently the emergency department (due to severe dehydration). I am in a relationship with my S.O who works around a lot of people and he wants me to be vaccinated. I personally, don't want to be vaccinated and I understand his reasoning behind it. I'd rather my own body fight viral infection in less I have a treatable infection (pneumonia).

My thoughts on vaccines are that they are necessary to have for human growth and protection. I agree most vaccines are good to have but not all of them will always protect you like the flu vaccine. I do understand many receive the flu vaccine for various reasons. I do understand why many don't believe in vaccines.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread