TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Pacifiers and teeth moving. - March 12th 2019, 10:46 PM

Hey,
So awhile ago I made a thread about my age regression and this kind of relates but not really. If this belongs more in mental health then feel free to move it. I went back and fourth on where to put this.

So for the last week and a half I believe I have been sleeping with a pacifier. I have been take long naps during the day as well and sleep with it then too. I even just have it in my mouth when on the computer or watching TV.

Anyways my teeth have been hurting lately not all of them just the two front bottom and top teeth. They hurt like they used to when I had braces and they were moving. I am just wondering if there is a way to fully know if they are moving or not. My teeth aren't straight by any means and I need braces again since my mouth is so small and the ortho should have pulled some but didn't. They said that they think they could do it without pulling the teeth but it didn't work out even with wearing the retainer.But this post isn't about that at all. SO I am not concerned about them moving...Since I will be getting braces when I have a job and can pay for them. I just really am more interested to know if they are or not. If that makes sense.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Sorry if this seems jumbled and a ramble.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Luminescence. Offline
Articles Writer
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Pacifiers and teeth moving. - March 12th 2019, 10:50 PM

Well, I have a small mouth and when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, I had two more pulled. If your small mouth was a concern for the ortho, I think they would have pulled those teeth. But it's definitely something worth bringing up to your dentist!

I don't think the pacifers would have any impact on your teeth.

Articles Writer

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I'm only human...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Pacifiers and teeth moving. - March 12th 2019, 10:51 PM

I'm not sure if it could be your teeth moving or not, but is it possible that your mouth is just sore from the pacifier? It may not be necessarily shifting your teeth, it could be the muscles in your mouth getting sore from so much use, especially since your mouth isn't used to it. If it gets too troublesome I suppose you could go to a dentist and get their opinion, but I understand if you wouldn't want to do that.

I can do it
I'll get through it
But Iím only human
And I bleed when I fall down
Iím only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause Iím only human, yeah

"Human" by Christina Perri

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

Just breathe and believe.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Online
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pacifiers and teeth moving. - March 13th 2019, 02:59 PM

I think there is a risk that it could cause your teeth to move. I've heard from pretty credible sources that they recommend not giving pacifiers to babies/toddlers or at least not using them often because of the risk that it will cause issues with the baby teeth (they specifically site "aggressive" use is the biggest concern and I'm not sure how often it has to be used to be considered as such). There's actually a fair amount of information of this on Google if you're curious.

However, I am not sure what the affects would be on adult teeth. I suppose a great amount of contact might put pressure on those teeth and cause a similar affect to what I see described by dental associations online? I would recommend looking into this, see what reputable sources are online, since I am not a dentist and can't be sure.

Is it possible you could discontinue the use of the pacifier for a bit and use another coping technique for a while order to see if it helps?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Pacifiers and teeth moving. - March 13th 2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte View Post

Is it possible you could discontinue the use of the pacifier for a bit and use another coping technique for a while order to see if it helps?

I'm not really sure if I could. I've tried suking my thumb but I just feel really weird about it and stop. But I may try to use it less. It's just really comforting and soothing, even though I don't suck on it.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|