TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
honeycake Offline
If you need a friend, i'm here
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: jodie

Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 4th 2010, 10:17 PM

I just watched a documentry on Tanning on BBC 3 it had Nicola from Girls aloud doing the research into tanning and i say it has shocked me i'm not a tanner myself but it still shocked and terrified me.

So i want to know What do you think about tanning?

Darlin' don't leave me out here in the cold
I'm begging you baby don't leave me out here on my own I'll die, If you don't hold me tight Tonight, I couldn't make it outside If I tried, So please let me in lover,
Be kind ♥
  Send a message via AIM to honeycake Send a message via Skype™ to honeycake 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 4th 2010, 10:41 PM

I meant to what that documentry but for some reason I didn't.
Myself personally I go on sunbeds rarely and when I have done it's to build up a tan or to top a natural tan up so that I keep it.
I think they should be more careful who they allow to use them because me and my friends were all under 18 and strolled into the place and didn't get asked for ID on numerous occassions, they don't care about who they let on these sunbeds and I think they should tell people how dangerous they can be.
It may seem apparent how harmful they can be but to some younger teenage girls they may not realise what the risks are.
I know what the risks are and I choose to use sunbeds, if anything happens to me then it's on no one else's concious but my own.
I know they are trying to educate younger people but personally I think it should be made a higher priority because if you're not warned of the risks or see the consequences then you're going to blame other people if anything unfortunate was to happen.
I think parents should also tell their children of the risks my mother has never told me about the risks of sunbeds.
It's good that it's something coming into the media more because we see magazines, news papers, bill boards, tv programmes, documentries, posters, leaflets, etc where ever we go on a daily basis without even realising it. Although I do think maybe they should do something similar to what they do with cigarette packets about skin cancer.
Shock tactics are sometimes needed no matter how much we like to avoid them and not see horrible images, they get us thinking and they are usually much more hard hitting than an article or a poster telling us not to do something.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 4th 2010, 10:54 PM

Sunbeds in my opinion should be banned, they can cause skin cancer, but in another way, so does the sun, I think people should either like being pale, or wear fake tan, like a spray tan, I personally like being pale

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 5th 2010, 05:07 PM

I think that tanning beds can also be a good thing. I have ridiculously fair skin so being out in the sun for even a short amount of time causes me to burn. If I do 5-10 short tanning sessions at the beginning of the summer it helps make me less prone to burn the rest of the season.

I think it all depends on how you use it. In moderation, I think it's fine, but a lot of people abuse tanning beds and will regret it later.

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 5th 2010, 05:15 PM

I don't agree with the whole tanning thing.
I think if you want to tan, let the sun do it.
I know it doesn't work for some though.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 5th 2010, 05:31 PM

Mind you they say people with excema benifit from sunbeds

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 5th 2010, 06:56 PM

I don't agree with tan beds to be honest - they do cause skin cancer, and although the sun does too - it doesn't to such a high degree as long as you wear sun-cream.

The facts around tanning beds are pretty scary - I mean, there are other ways that are safe...Spray tan, tanning lotion, safe sun bathing....

Not to mention, too much tanning leaves you brown, peelings and wrinkly

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 6th 2010, 08:10 PM

i think they should be banned, or there should at least be a ban on under 18's using them. even if you only use sunbeds very occasionally it still ups your chances of skin cancer. it's similar to smoking really - pretty disgusting.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 6th 2010, 08:22 PM

I'm really pale and everyone always says to me i should 'use a sunbed' as a sarky comment. Personally i'll never use one, the sun burns me enough as it is so i try to avoid being out there for long periods of time, so why would i intentionally use a sun-bed?. There's risks to everything in life and i think so long as these risks are drummed into us - we should effectively be entitled to choose whether we want to use them. Obviously there should be tougher laws on these things as young girls can use them freely without ID checks and imo that's just like selling alcohol/cigarettes to under-agers....wrong. Alongside stricter laws, i personally think that there should be talks about this at school, like we have sex-education and the whole drugs talks. A lot of people aren't aware that tanning can become an addiction and it is a serious issue and needs to be addressed.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 03:01 AM

Any tanning that doesn't involve a spray or lotion is unhealthy and increases the risk of skin cancer, so I don't think it's a good thing to intentionally go and get one. It's better to get one whilst wearing sunscreen, over a period of time of course.
It's not attractive to have any unnatural tan, I don't know what the fascination with it is.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 03:03 AM

Sunbeds are good and bad. I tanned a few summers ago and I looked very nice. My mother has a skin problem, cyriasis or however you spell it, and It helps it go away. It's also good for your skin, clears up acne, and I believe It releases endorphines.

It's good, in moderation.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
Sunbeds are good and bad. I tanned a few summers ago and I looked very nice. My mother has a skin problem, cyriasis or however you spell it, and It helps it go away. It's also good for your skin, clears up acne, and I believe It releases endorphines.

It's good, in moderation.
in moderation is may not be very bad, but it's definitely not good. even using a sunbed once increases your risk of skin cancer.
tanning in the sun still isn't great, but it's better than using a sunbed.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 05:45 PM

I think the risks way outweigh the benefits. All it does is tan your skin, but it increases your risk for skin cancer and premature aging, for me it's not worth it. If you have to have a tan either do it the natural way with sunscreen or use a fake one.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 06:00 PM

I would never use a tanning bed myself but if others want to it's up to them. I do think that there should be an some kind of age limit on them like under 16's shouldn't perhaps use them. I read an article a while ago and it talked about how people in secondary schools used to leave school at lunch and spend their lunch money on sunbeds.

I think it's ridiculous how all these people pile on the fake tan as well. Sure it might be better than sunbeds but it still can't be the best thing for your skin if you look like an orange.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post
I would never use a tanning bed myself but if others want to it's up to them. I do think that there should be an some kind of age limit on them like under 16's shouldn't perhaps use them. I read an article a while ago and it talked about how people in secondary schools used to leave school at lunch and spend their lunch money on sunbeds.

I think it's ridiculous how all these people pile on the fake tan as well. Sure it might be better than sunbeds but it still can't be the best thing for your skin if you look like an orange.
yeah one of my neighbours daughter is 12 and she uses sunbeds.. it's awful!

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post

In the U.S. there was talk recently of making it necessary for people under 18 to have parental consent to use tanning beds. I don't know what happened with it though.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 06:24 PM

Tanning is not good in any way, shape or form. I believe that it was shown that even 5 sun beds a year can triple your chances of skin cancer. If you burn easily, wear a higher factor sun block. It's not difficult. I burn very very easily but if you get into the habit of putting sun block on every morning (pretty much it replaces my moisturiser in the summer) and reapply at lunch then later then it is not hard. The arguement that it helps you not get sunburnt is a cop out. If you want a tan, there are so many good and affordable fake tans out there it's ridiculous to put yourself at such risk.

I don't use sun beds. I generally don't think that skin cancer sounds like fun, especially when you pay to get it.

The only time I can see sunbeds being acceptable is when their use is a prescribed treatment from a doctor. Someone I know goes and uses a sunbed at the local hospital, as prescribed by his doctor, as a treatment for a skin disorder. This is the only situation that it's okay.

There was talk of banning them in Scotland. Not sure what happened with that.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 06:34 PM

My honest opinion on tan beds makes me sound hypocritical in ways as I smoke. I don't think -18s should use them at all though.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Tanning is not good in any way, shape or form. I believe that it was shown that even 5 sun beds a year can triple your chances of skin cancer. If you burn easily, wear a higher factor sun block. It's not difficult. I burn very very easily but if you get into the habit of putting sun block on every morning (pretty much it replaces my moisturiser in the summer) and reapply at lunch then later then it is not hard. The arguement that it helps you not get sunburnt is a cop out. If you want a tan, there are so many good and affordable fake tans out there it's ridiculous to put yourself at such risk.

I don't use sun beds. I generally don't think that skin cancer sounds like fun, especially when you pay to get it.

The only time I can see sunbeds being acceptable is when their use is a prescribed treatment from a doctor. Someone I know goes and uses a sunbed at the local hospital, as prescribed by his doctor, as a treatment for a skin disorder. This is the only situation that it's okay.

There was talk of banning them in Scotland. Not sure what happened with that.
yes i agree, if it's a prescribed treatment from your doctor that's a different story. same as radiotherapy, ups your risk of skin cancer but it's necessary treatment for a lot of people.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 07:46 PM

I don't understand tans all together, I fail to see what's attractive about them? I know people saying it gives you a healthy glow, but to me healthy glow is what you get naturally when you do everyday things in the sun O.o

Tan beds or extremely stupid though, it's like smoking, for your skin D=

C'mon people we're not plants! We don't need to photosynthesise! Seriously

The only good thing that the skin gets from the sun is that it can make more vitamin D, but you can still get enough of that from food =/

I'd bet better went in the sun with solar panels on though, at least they'd be getting something from it.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
AdamWest Offline
Cool Dude
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 08:44 PM

Too much of anything is bad for you, tanning in moderation is fine, more girls just need to be careful with it

Love life, reading, TV and music.. oh yeah and old Nickelodeon re-runs! Cheap books for any struggling college kids! http://www.booklookr.com
  Send a message via AIM to AdamWest  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Opinion on Tanning (Move if you want) - February 7th 2010, 09:22 PM

I'm a right nature girl, and I'm dark skinned. I've only ever burnt twice in my life. I figure the sunc an't be that bad for you, something so natural. Not for me anyway, as I said. The dark skin and all. I don't believe in tanning beds, but I think a natural glow is beautiful.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

Closed Thread