TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crmzchan Offline
Love is so painful...
Not a n00b

Muscle strain - April 5th 2010, 06:37 PM

I went to an audition for a musical yesterday and ended up doing an unexpected 2.5/3 hr dance session. I gave my all, 'cause I really want a good part, but today my muscles are so painful - if I sit down for more than about 15 mins my legs seize up and I struggle to lock my knees when I walk. I know I've overdone it, but is there any way to ease the strain?

Holly Grogan, my friend, died 16.09.2009.
Goodbye, Holly.
May your smile light up the face of heaven.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Muscle strain - April 5th 2010, 09:58 PM

Hey.

If the pain is significant, I would advise you to see a doctor as soon as possible, or go to an emergency room. Muscle strains can be very serious, but I don't think it is, so I do not mean to scare you.

An important thing to note is, that applying heat can furthermore injure your muscle. Apply ice, not directly (put a towel or something between you and the ice), and when your muscles start feeling better and swelling reduces, add heat. I also suggest taking ibuprofen. Rest as much as possible, try to reduce strenuous activity, use ice (often), and if possible, use an Ace band/brace or something alike. Also, make sure to elevate your leg, if possible. Once your muscles are healed, I suggest stretching everyday, if you do not do so already. It is good for your body and prevents things like that from happening. Like I said earlier, since you are the only one that can feel your pain, if it really bothers you, see a doctor or go into the emergency room.

Good luck!

-Apollo

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: Muscle strain - April 6th 2010, 04:41 AM

Strain = minor to medium | Sprain = medium to major (just remember sprain has a "p" for pain).

Sounds like you overworked yourself, take some nsaids such as ibuprofen to reduce inflammation and alternate hot/cold. Increase your electrolyte intake and fluid intake and stretch every morning and evening or after extended periods of standing/sitting.

There is no need to worry or visit and ER unless you get a "burning knife or searing flesh" feeling. If it is just aches, you'll do just fine.

Closed Thread