TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ride-the-sky Offline
Not a n00b

Question do acai berries work? - April 21st 2010, 10:03 PM

So ive been looking into acai berries and they seem to be pretty good. I read that they can help you lose weight and also help you sleep better and I am having trouble with both of those issues so this seems to be the thing for me xD but anyway I was wondering if anyone knows if taking the acai supplements is safe? I would have to get the supplements because the berries only grow in the amazon and they spoil fast. So if someone knows about these and wants to help me out with some information I would appreciate it very much thank you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 12:16 AM

It's a scam.

See here:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/23...cam/index.html
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ride-the-sky Offline
Not a n00b

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 01:09 AM

how do you know?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 01:14 AM

My nutrition teacher said that they were a scam too. Also, there was some pyramid scheme along with acai berry products. I'd steer clear and do the normal nutritious lifestyle changes

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#5 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride-the-sky View Post
how do you know?
Please go back to my post where I posted a link to an article on CNN's website which tells the truth about the scam. I also saw the same story on local news channels and ABC's 20/20.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 09:59 AM

I agree, they are a scam. I was talking to my flat mate about this last week and her mother is a yoga teacher who's all into the healthy lifestyle stuff. Turns out the berries are basically a laxative. You loose weight because the berries make your body get rid of the nutrients from food before they are absorbed into your system.
If you're wanting to sleep better and loose weight you don't need a 'quick fix' solution, which these are.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 03:47 PM

There really is no 'quick fix' for weight loss. Be persistent with diet and exercise and you'll get there in the end.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 05:42 PM

anything you see on the internet advertised in popups, like try this and loose weight, is usually a scam,if you are wanting to loose weight and want to have a better nights sleep, maybe talk to your doctor about loosing wieght. also herbal sleeping pills help me sleep, you can buy them over the counter in most shops.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 07:13 PM

btw, diets never work. Lifestyle changes is what's needed

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
btw, diets never work. Lifestyle changes is what's needed
True. Any number of products, reputable or otherwise may help you to sleep or lose weight. They won't make it happen though.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
ride-the-sky Offline
Not a n00b

Re: do acai berries work? - April 22nd 2010, 08:01 PM

ok thank you guys. i guess ill steer clear of them and try something else. does anyone have any suggestions on losing weight a healthy way? i mean i know obviously i need to eat healthy and exercise but has anyone had particularly good reaults from a certain kind of food? i cant really talk to a doctor about it becuase my mom doesnt think i need to lose weight and she thinks ill become anorexic. but its not like i want to stop eating all together, i just want to lost some weight and become a healthier person.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
natcat Offline
Average Joe

Name: Natalie

Re: do acai berries work? - April 23rd 2010, 12:26 AM

Drinking lots of water helps lose weight. Everyday, I pick one day and drink nothing but water. It really flushes you out, and makes you feel good. Water also helps you sleep at night, atleast it does for me (:

It's better to cross the line &
suffer the consequences
than to just stare at the line
for the rest of your life.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
fresco Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: do acai berries work? - April 23rd 2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
ok thank you guys. i guess ill steer clear of them and try something else. does anyone have any suggestions on losing weight a healthy way? i mean i know obviously i need to eat healthy and exercise but has anyone had particularly good reaults from a certain kind of food? i cant really talk to a doctor about it becuase my mom doesnt think i need to lose weight and she thinks ill become anorexic. but its not like i want to stop eating all together, i just want to lost some weight and become a healthier person.
lol moms are always like that! It's endearing, but annoying.

I only really know about one diet but I would highly recommend it--the South Beach Diet. I'm not an expert on the diet but here's what I know. This diet focuses a lot on the GI (glycemic index) value of foods and beverages. There are I think three stages of the diet, and the first is the most strict but delivers the most obvious results. If you ever find you are faltering while on stage two or three of the diet you can always return to stage one for some quicker weight loss.

On the diet (first stage particularly) you're going to avoid: bread, (almost all) meat, sweets, and drinks that aren't tea, coffee, or water. The foods you are safe to eat are: regular yogurt, low fat cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, turkey bacon, Canadian bacon, and a few types of nut. I think the first stage actually has very little mention of fruits and vegetables (or the options for what you can eat during this stage are really limited).

My sister ate mostly hard boiled eggs while she was on the South Beach diet, but I think it is better (or recommended) to have more variety. Still, in about two weeks the amount of weight she lost was equal to about a loss of[Edited by Konstantine - removing weight numbers]! While the transformation on the scale was very apparent, she also looked super fit. With a rigorous running routine as well, she got even lower than her goal weight and stayed that way for a while. She got a bit of the weight back though but diets are always a short term thing. Eventually your metabolism/body get used to the diet system and carry on business as usual. To continue weight loss you're going to have to continue varying your diet.

Check out the diet yourself! There are plenty of South Beach diet recipes online. Even at grocery stores you can find some products that are ok to eat while on the diet, with labels like "South Beach compatible" or "South Beach stage two".

I don't know specifically about acai berries but I tried a juice made with it (from V8) and it was really tasty. It made my organs feel cleaner?

Last edited by Prozac; April 24th 2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Please do not include weight numbers. They are against TOS.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Re: do acai berries work? - April 23rd 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I started to eat a tiny bit healthier, and I saw a big change. What I did was:

1. No soda, coffee, etc....a lot a lot of water and some milk.
2. No more cookies or chips (occasional bowl of ice cream)
3. Eat one of these a day. If you are like me and not a huge fan of meat, this gives you a nice amount of protein for low calories (120 calories, 28% daily protein). Plus a good bit of calcium too.
4. Eat fiber-based cereal every morning like this, that's actually the exact product I eat every morning along with a kiwi & water. It has 32% of daily fiber, and I usually have two servings. It's actually tasty too
5. No more fast food ever.
6. Find a vegetable that doesn't suck and eat it a lot, it brought me to other vegetables.
7. Try to eat whole grain for any bread if you can. If not, at least wheat bread.

This is off the top of my head, obviously everyone else is different, but this worked for me. I hope this isn't triggering.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: do acai berries work? - April 23rd 2010, 10:57 PM

For weight loss - no

for general health - yes

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: do acai berries work? - April 24th 2010, 03:49 PM

Hey there,

I think that it would be okay to add acai berries into your diet as they may have some health benefits, but they're definitely not a guarantee to lose weight. As has already been mentioned, lifestyle changes are the best changes you can make in order to lose weight in a healthy manner. Eating a balanced diet is very important, as are portion sizes. The most obvious suggestion would be to try and avoid sugary or fast food and to lean more towards vegetables and fruit. Regularly exercising can also help.

Take care.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
ride-the-sky Offline
Not a n00b

Re: do acai berries work? - April 28th 2010, 08:28 PM

hehe yes moms are always that way xD ...thanks for all the tips guys i will try them all out and see what works best for me to stay healthy and lose some weight.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: do acai berries work? - April 28th 2010, 09:29 PM

If you want to still include Acai berries, since they (along with other berries) DO have antioxidants and stuff, V8 makes some juices with Acai berries in them. In fact, V8 juices are GREAT. They're tasty, filling, give 2 servings of Fruits and Veggies per glass, and well, definitely healthy for you.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: do acai berries work? - April 28th 2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natcat View Post
Drinking lots of water helps lose weight. Everyday, I pick one day and drink nothing but water. It really flushes you out, and makes you feel good. Water also helps you sleep at night, atleast it does for me (:
I agree with drinking a lot of water, it's an amazing antioxidant.

Also, white and green tea speed up metabolism so you could use those to help you lose weight a healthy way and they're contain antioxidants too

(#20 (permalink)) Old
ride-the-sky Offline
Not a n00b

Re: do acai berries work? - April 29th 2010, 12:47 AM

I will definately try the V8 juices...and yes I already drink green tea, it's my favorite!!

Closed Thread