TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gcastillo2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Guadalupe Castillo

Question Are anti-depressents effective? - May 13th 2010, 12:10 AM

I just wanted to know if anti-depressents are effective, if they do help. My theraphist told me that I should take antidepressents but I don't know if I should. Do you guys suggest taking them?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Are anti-depressents effective? - May 13th 2010, 12:39 AM

They help some people and some people don't seem to be helped by them. Medication is different for everyone and stuff meant for your mind seems to be a real hit or miss kind of topic.
It really depends, if you want to try them then do, but I'd do research on them first. I've been on quite a few, it's kind of hard for me to say anything about them for you (because what I'm diagnosed with makes me react differently to antidepressants than most people) but I'd say that if you can find the right one, the right dose, and find ways to manage stress in a healthy way they can help. It's important not to just take them and expect them to be a cure-all, you should take them and continue with your therapy and try and find ways to make healthy changes in your life.
Simple things like sleeping properly and eating healthy can have just as much of an effect as taking a pill when it comes to your mood and attitude towards life.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Are anti-depressents effective? - May 13th 2010, 12:46 AM

Antidepressants affect everyone differently, so it's not easy for a doctor to tell you exactly how effective they are going to be. There's really no way of knowing how antidepressants will work for you until you give them a try. My personal experience with them has been a good one, they definitely helped to improve my depression. If I were to make a suggestion for anyone, I would tell them to give them a try, and see how they work for you. But don't expect them to solve all of your problems like I did. They definitely may help improve the way you feel, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get other help through your depression through methods such as therapy, and of course staying healthy by eating well and exercising. Antidepressants are a good solution, but they shouldn't be a permanent one. Try them, but be persistent and continue working through your depression in other ways as well, even if it may not be as prominent while you are on antidepressants. Hopefully they work for you if and when you decide to try them. Good luck!

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Are anti-depressents effective? - May 13th 2010, 11:34 AM

They effect people differently. They have been brilliant for me. The first two weeks they made me feel sleepy and dizzy but after that I felt fantastic I've been taking them for 3/4 months and I haven't felt depressed at all. Obviously they may not work so well for you.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
Closed Thread