TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Ibuprofen - May 13th 2010, 01:01 PM

When I get menstrual cramps the only way to make the pain go away is to take more pain killers than I'm supposed to. Right now I have a box of extra strength Ibuprofen (400mg) It says on the back of the box to take one every 4 hours and you aren't supposed to take more than three a day.

The only way it helps is if I take two of these :/ Is this really bad for me? If it is what other pain killer could you recommend.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Ibuprofen - May 13th 2010, 01:14 PM

I usually take Ibruprofen and Paracetamol. They can be taken at four hour intervals each, so I take a paracetamol at, for example 12 then a ibruprofen at 2, then the next paracetamols at 4. You need to be careful not to accidentally overdose on any of these pills, but if you follow a schedule carefully you should be okay. And it should sort out your pain.

Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Ibuprofen - May 13th 2010, 02:30 PM

Yes, it is important to follow the directions because it will start to deteriorate your stomach lining, and you can easily get stomach ulcers. Believe me, it's not fun. If the pain is really unbearable then go to your doctor to find an alternative method.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Ibuprofen - May 13th 2010, 02:45 PM

If they're that bad you can get prescription pain killers that are a lot stronger than the ones you can get in shops, prescription ibuprofen is something like 800mg.

To be fair though if people are okay to have prescription ibuprofens which are double the strength of normal ones then I don't see what the harm with you taking two 400mg is as long as it's not full time (which it isn't because I'm assuming you have a normal period once a month)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Ibuprofen - May 13th 2010, 02:46 PM

I would suggest that you take one ibuprofen at first and see if the pain subsides. If it doesn't, you may consider taking another. Don't take more than is neccessary to tone down the pain. It's also not good to take paracetamol and ibuprofen at the same time. I suppose you could with a gap in between your dosages but.. I would stick to one or the other just to be on the safe side. Remember that an overdose could result in a heart attack, stroke or coma :/

I usually just take two paracetamols in the morning. It numbs the cramping until it's nothing but a faint background soreness. By the time the drug wears off, the worst of the cramping has passed and it's reasonably bearable afterwards so I don't take any more paracetamol unless I really need it.

There are actually specific pills you can take for menstrual cramps. My friends were discussing it at school the other day. You could pay your doctor a visit and ask him/her about it. They'll suggest something (designed for period pain) that you can take. I should probably do that too.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Ibuprofen - May 13th 2010, 04:49 PM

For some strange reason whenever I go to the doctor about any type of pain he automatically thinks it's period pain. So, he must get this a lot. I probably will see my GP If I take one 400mg tablet the pain eases a little but still hurts a lot

I woke up this morning at 9am in pain and took two because I only took one last night and it done very little.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Broken one Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sian

Re: Ibuprofen - May 13th 2010, 05:23 PM

Try getting some co codomal, can get them over the counter at a pharmacy, I normally take 2 and they do the job.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Ibuprofen - May 15th 2010, 03:03 PM

If ibuprofen/paracetamol is not doing the trick then go to your GP and ask them to prescribe some stronger pain killers. But in the mean time definitely stick to the recommended amount - you don't want to risk being sick from them, it's really unpleasant!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Ibuprofen - May 15th 2010, 05:20 PM

In theory you can stretch the dose over the recommended amount. Every person's body reacts or deals with drugs in slightly different ways. Just like some people can drink a lot more alcohol than others.

Doubling the dose over the recommeded amount shouldn't have a bad impact if you do it once... but if done persistantly it's probably gona have some side effects in the long run, like liver damage maybe.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Ibuprofen - May 16th 2010, 11:12 AM

Ceilidh,

I would recommend that you follow instructions on the box of your medication. Overdosing on painkillers can be very dangerous and can make you very ill or damage your internal organs. I would strongly suggest that you stop double dosing on your painkillers.
I think that the best idea for you would be to go to your doctor and ask for some help with your cramps. There are several different painkillers that you could be prescribed that may help to alleviate the pain.

Take care.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Firefighter 48 Offline
Firefighter/ EMT-B
Average Joe

Name: Mike

Re: Ibuprofen - May 21st 2010, 01:49 AM

I would try to avoid taking large amounts of any painkiller with acetamenifine(spelling?) in it because that can destroy your liver if you use too much too often. Only taking two should not be a problem but just please be careful.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

TWLOHA
  Send a message via MSN to Firefighter 48  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Ibuprofen - May 21st 2010, 04:44 PM

Hey there. (:

As it's already been said ibuprofen can damage your stomach lining. It's important to make sure you have eaten when taking this medication. I would recommend seeing your doctor for a specific pain killer that will help with cramps. It could potentially be harmful if you ever take more than the recommended amount.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
here2help Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Grant

Exclamation Re: Ibuprofen - May 23rd 2010, 01:01 AM

Hi there please ignore all posts reccomending you stretch limits of medications. The reccomended dosages are there for a reason. The standard dose of ibroprufen is 400mg for a reason. Also note that the box does not say take 4 hourly, it says you should take them no closer together than 4 hourly. This is because as it says on the box you are unable to take them more than 3-4 times a day (Check your box carefully). Please note that should you need to take them for more than a few days you should seek medical advice from a GP, Pharmacist or Nurse as long term use as well as overdose, which was practically suggested in above post (all be it with the best intentions) can cause GI (Gastro Intestinal) bleeding/discomfort/ulceration, liver damage/failure, nausea, rashes, diarrohea, wheeze to name but a few. (People with asthma should also be carefull with ibroprufen and other NSAIDS because they can cause bronchospasm, which causes wheezing and could trigger an attack)
The 400mg dosage if you check is only for over 12's (needed to point that out as I was unaware of your age) Paracetmol can be used with ibroprufen but you MUST MAKE SURE THAT THE IBROPRUFEN YOU ARE TAKING DOES NOT ALREADY CONTAIN PARACETEMOL. Also I wouldn't take it long term without seeking medical advice. Be carefull with the paracetemol and follow the directions on the packaging unless directed otherwise by a QUALIFIED practitioner. Other options mentioned above such as co-codamol, which is a combination of paracetemol and codeine phosphate (a membere of the opiod family) can be bought over the counter although if it is your first time using this I would have a quick chat with your pharmacist when buying as this to can cause issues with wheezing as well as others.

Please note that I am not a qualifed doctor, nurse or pharmacist and any information found on any web forum should not be taken as gospel. The information above was taken from the BNF (03/2009) and so is slightly out of date although unless protocol has changed in the last couple of months I am 95% sure this part hasn't been changed in the update. If you are in any doubt or standard pain management is not working you should see your GP.

Don't forget other methods such as hot water bottles aswell.

Take Care,

Grant

Closed Thread