TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 19th 2010, 06:25 AM

Does anyone else have issues digesting meat and dairy?

Whenever I eat meat, or dairy, I end up physically ill. Cramps, nausea, vomiting, runs, all that gross stuff.

If anyone else does have this, is there a medical reason? I'm going to the doctor whenever I can get an appointment, but I'd like to know what to expect.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 19th 2010, 06:36 AM

Heyyy Arc-Kitteh

I haven't eaten meat in a long time so whose know what would happen if I ate it.
I have problems with blizzards, milkshakes, soft serve icecream (which I LOVE), and if I eat lots of cheese.
Hope this makes you feel a bit better
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 19th 2010, 07:01 AM

Well lactose-intolerance is one thing, but both as a problem was the real question. I mean, no matter how long/short of a timeframe there is between any time I eat meat, I get sick. The chicken that triggered it last night (yet didn't harm everyone else, who had more, and was thoroughly cooked) was only a few small pieces. I'm pretty much made to eat meat AT LEAST once a week.

Although I've seen stuff online, and got responses in chat, about it likely being a problem with things like enzyme imbalances, or sensitivity to the toxins in meats and dairy. So hopefully its just something that can be solved with a meat/dairy-free diet.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 19th 2010, 08:27 AM

Dairy could just be a problem with lactose, but I'm not sure about the meat. Although the stuff about 'enzyme imbalances' (atleast in the case of meat) and 'sensitivity to the toxins' sounds more like vegan propaganda than valid medical advice.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 19th 2010, 09:33 AM

Actually, its not "propaganda". Lactose-intolerance IS an enzyme issue in itself. So if you're going to see lactose-intolerance as valid, an enzyme issue, then why can't another enzyme issue be an issue? Contradictory, yes?

As for the toxin bit, I'm not sure what toxins there are, to be honest. Either way, it came up as a suggestion. OH WAIT, CLICK ME!. Think about how mass-farmed meat is dangerous, considering things like disease, artificial hormones to induce growth, more artificial hormones to keep the cow constantly lactating, etc. And even in a natural environment, they walk around in their own feces, they eat grass near/within those feces (remembering that water contaminated with fecal matter can spread E-Coli to people. It caused a huge epidemic in a city a couple hours away from me 10 years ago).

So maybe consider many different factors, logical points, and possibilities before acting as if its just "vegan propaganda". I'm sorry to come across as being rude, but that was a very ignorant thing to say, especially since the vegetarians/vegans I've known have never been the types to shove propaganda down anyone's throats, nor push their views on others.

By the way, dairy and meat have alot of common fats, proteins, etc. that it's not uncommon for the human body to have a harder time digesting. In fact, meat takes almost twice as long to break down in your system than fruits and vegetables do. And before you claim THATS propaganda, people with Celiac Disease, though highly based around no digesting gluten products, usually also struggle to digest meat and dairy fats and proteins. Ask a doctor if you don't believe me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 20th 2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
Actually, its not "propaganda". Lactose-intolerance IS an enzyme issue in itself. So if you're going to see lactose-intolerance as valid, an enzyme issue, then why can't another enzyme issue be an issue? Contradictory, yes?
Because, while the effects of a lack of the lactase enzyme are well known, I haven't heard of any specific enzyme deficiency related to meat.

Quote:
As for the toxin bit, I'm not sure what toxins there are, to be honest. Either way, it came up as a suggestion. OH WAIT, CLICK ME!. Think about how mass-farmed meat is dangerous, considering things like disease, artificial hormones to induce growth, more artificial hormones to keep the cow constantly lactating, etc.
Your link seems to suggest this as a risk in eating meat, which wouldn't really explain the fact you always get this effect.

Quote:
And even in a natural environment, they walk around in their own feces, they eat grass near/within those feces (remembering that water contaminated with fecal matter can spread E-Coli to people. It caused a huge epidemic in a city a couple hours away from me 10 years ago).
Drinking water with e-coli in it =/= eating meat from a cow that stood in crap a few times.

Quote:
By the way, dairy and meat have alot of common fats, proteins, etc. that it's not uncommon for the human body to have a harder time digesting.
You mean the proteins that are utilized by the body in an incredibly efficient manner, as opposed to grain proteins that people generally have problems digesting i.e. gluten? And since when was the human body unable to digest animal fat?

Quote:
In fact, meat takes almost twice as long to break down in your system than fruits and vegetables do.
Sugar breaks down basically instantly, whereas fiber isn't digested at all. I don't think you can take time taken to digest and extrapolate it into a measure of digestive health.

But whatever, it seems that you've made up your mind already, so I can't really see the point of this thread other than to point out the obvious, which is that you should probably see a doctor in the event of severe digestive difficulties.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 20th 2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Because, while the effects of a lack of the lactase enzyme are well known, I haven't heard of any specific enzyme deficiency related to meat.
There are many enzymes that dairy and meat have in common though, and it's NOT always lactase that causes the issues.

Quote:
Drinking water with e-coli in it =/= eating meat from a cow that stood in crap a few times.
Then you obviously didn't read all of what I said, about cows eating grass that is right along side their feces. That would get the E-Coli absorbed into them. Read the entire point or don't respond. Simple.

Quote:
You mean the proteins that are utilized by the body in an incredibly efficient manner, as opposed to grain proteins that people generally have problems digesting i.e. gluten? And since when was the human body unable to digest animal fat?
Once again, Celiac disease is an example of such, as I said. Seriously, alot of people with Celiac Disease struggle to digest animal fats/proteins. And Celiac is probably not the only case of this.

I'm just annoyed that you are trying to claim the idea that someone could get sick from meat is all "vegan propaganda", when I'm LIVING PROOF of someone getting sick from meat and dairy. Hell, I really like Chicken Shwarma, that was dinner tonight, but I had to take Tylenol AND Pepto-Bismal just to avoid throwing up or having the runs. My stomach STILL hurts, and I ate it close to 3 hours ago! And yet, during the timeframe when I just had a few cookies and some dry cereal, I was perfectly fine. Proof it's not Celiac. Don't be so ignorant and closed-minded.

Hate to break it to you, but not every Vegan is out to convert everyone. And I doubt most of the vegans out there really care what you eat. Your body, your beliefs, your choice. Sure, there are a few vegetarians/vegans who do act like that, and even fabricate things, but all the ones I've talked to haven't. They don't try to shove their beliefs down people's throats.

Point is, don't assume. As the saying goes, "If you assume, you make an ASS out of U and ME."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 20th 2010, 09:29 AM

You've mentioned in chat and before the lactose-intolerance so the puzzle comes down to the allergy to meat unless there is one for both but let's currently work under the one where it's only towards meat. Coeliac disease is a possibility but do know that it includes some wheat products as well, generally not cereals but crackers and cookies with wheat in some patients do produce the symptoms experienced also. Studies have shown there is co-morbidity with certain allergies, including milk, however, increased sensitivity to milk can result from coeliac disease if it progresses enough, in which case it mimics the symtpoms of lactose-intolerance.

If you go to the doctors, since you say the reaction occurred very fast, you'd be tested for your IgE and probably also IgG. IgE is tested for fast allergic reactions and if it is found to be very high, depending on the symptoms you show in general when eating, it could be Job's Syndrome. In this, patients generally have certain superficial abnormalities, many of which are not so drastic that they make you stand out.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Feather Offline
Average Joe

Name: Andrea

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 20th 2010, 01:57 PM

I was definetely thinking Celiac when I read your first post, it's what popped into my mind first.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 21st 2010, 02:46 AM

Well see, thing is I've never had problems with ANY grains. No breads, cereals, cookies, crackers, pasta, pizza crusts, cakes... Nothing I've ever had in the grains family has caused me issues. I was looking at Celiac and well, the biggest puzzle piece just didn't fit.

I've looked at the symptoms of that "Job's Syndrome", and well, I've NEVER had most of the symptoms listed. Including no blood irregularity (I had bloodwork not long ago when I was sick and suspected of having Mono), never have had majority of the medical issues listed either, have NEVER had a fracture nor a sprain (I'm assuming it's referring to fractures in the bones, yes?), and I don't think I have the facial abnormalities, I KNOW I don't have red hair... So it's highly unlikely. Not to mention, looking over the things its most likely to be misdiagnosed as, never have had anything remotely close.

The only symptom when I eat these foods is, I end up ill. No skin rashes, no puffiness, it's just, nausea, and vomiting/runs. It's pretty much like typical lactose intolerance, but also with meat. *Shrugs*

Anyways, thanks for the advice. I've got a doctor's appointment to get checked for June 7th, so hopefully it's nothing too serious.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Feather Offline
Average Joe

Name: Andrea

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 21st 2010, 03:10 PM

Good luck! Let us know

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Re: Meat and Dairy Intolerance/Allergy? - May 22nd 2010, 12:53 AM