TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Yikes! Help! - August 28th 2010, 08:07 PM

Sooo, I was about to go work out, and I was stupidly running to get my socks and shoes on... and smashed my foot into a chair. Usually, I just cry it off and get right back up. But this time, it KILLED. My toe is swollen to the size of Mt. Everest and I can't put any pressure on it It hurts even without pressure. It's throbbing and awful What can I do to make it better? Anything? I haven't seen a doctor, and I'm not planning on it either. They can't do anything about broken toes anyways (if it is in fact broken- pretty sure it is).

Anyways, I really need to keep working out, but running isn't really working out so well with this toe thing. I can still do some weights and my core routines... but what can I do for cardio and like fat burning stuff. I tried swimming, but the kicking hurt

Any suggestions are welcomed

(#2 (permalink)) Old
RedJames Offline
Average Joe

Name: James

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 28th 2010, 08:47 PM

shadow boxing with some weights, will work your cardio still.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 28th 2010, 09:06 PM

Rest it first before you think about exercise. Sit back and elevate it above your heart using cushions, apply ice or a cold compress for 10 minutes, then a warm compress for any length of time and eventually the swelling will go down and the pain will go. Dose up on meds too
If you exercise on it whilst its really bad, you could make things worse, so try and keep off it. You could try yoga or pilates? Or improve you balance by hopping everywhere

(#4 (permalink)) Old
kadyCHAOS Offline
sleep when your dead
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kady

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 28th 2010, 10:50 PM

ice and ibprouphen deff for the swelling and pain. try to rest it. whenever i hurt my ankles or legs running, i'd replace the running with biking or swimming as cardio.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nicolette Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Nicolette

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 29th 2010, 12:08 AM

if its broken and its really disfigured looking grab a popsicle stick and strap it on your toe with some medical tape to make sure it atleast heals kind of straight, I've broken my toes a few times... it really sucks. Try cycling or swimming to stay off of it for a few days.

"When it comes down to it I let them think what they want, if they care enough to bother with what I do then I'm already better than them." Marilyn Monroe.
  Send a message via MSN to Nicolette Send a message via Yahoo to Nicolette  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 29th 2010, 12:57 AM

Eeeeep. It's black and blue AND swollen. I'll try keeping it elevated, maybe some ice, too.

I really can't just rest- I *need* to work out.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 29th 2010, 10:30 AM

Hey Amy,

Firstly WHY do you need to work out? Will a week or so of not exercising really do so much damage? The truth is that if you don't rest and get that toe better, it will take longer. The longer it takes the longer you'll have the pain, swelling and bruising, and I'm pretty sure you don't want that.

For now you're going to need anti-inflammatory's. Ibuprofin (Motrin) is probably your best bet for now. Which toe is it? I'd recommend taping it up and doing your best not to move it at all or put weight on it. Use ice and keep it elevated as much as you can.

I would seriously recommend taking a few days off working out, but obviously it's down to you.

Marie.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 29th 2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
Hey Amy,

Firstly WHY do you need to work out? Will a week or so of not exercising really do so much damage? The truth is that if you don't rest and get that toe better, it will take longer. The longer it takes the longer you'll have the pain, swelling and bruising, and I'm pretty sure you don't want that.

For now you're going to need anti-inflammatory's. Ibuprofin (Motrin) is probably your best bet for now. Which toe is it? I'd recommend taping it up and doing your best not to move it at all or put weight on it. Use ice and keep it elevated as much as you can.

I would seriously recommend taking a few days off working out, but obviously it's down to you.

Marie.
I've worked WAY too hard all summer getting myself back into shape- I'm not about to let some stupid toe ruin everything. Plus, it drives me literally insane when I don't work out >.> It's a huge stress reliever for me =\

Sadly, I iced it (periodically) and elevated it all night and it's still the same swollen and black/blue. (It's the pinky toe and some of the fourth toe as well).

I don't understand why it wouldn't be getting just a little bit better at this point?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 29th 2010, 04:12 PM

Actually, there are some things they can do for broken toes. If it is a minor fracture they'd probably just have you tape the toe to the adjacent toe. However, if it is more serious they may need to manually realign the toe bone so all the fragments are joined before they bind it. If they won't stay together well enough they may put a walking cast on as well. You may be able to tell how serious it is.

I'd definitely take it easy on that foot for a week. Find some exercises that work without impact to the toe, like was wisely suggested earlier.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 30th 2010, 09:52 AM

It won't heal immediately even if you nurse it all day. If you want to be active on it, it will hurt and it will take longer to heal. Depending on the extent on the injury, you usually end up worsening it. You can still exercise but you may need to change the types of exercises you do. I broke almost all of my toes at different times from different things/people and what's best is to put a splint on it and to stay off the foot as much as possible.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 30th 2010, 01:27 PM

Oweey Amy!

Urm painkillers like ibrubrufen is good...maybe an ice pack or something to take the swelling away. Get walking...that would help it a bit.

You are clumsy! :P

(#12 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 30th 2010, 08:30 PM

I've taken it easy for a pretty long while (so it seems at least), and it IS feeling better. At what point would it be okay to start actively working out on it again? About how many days?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 30th 2010, 08:33 PM

I would say don't start working out again until you can walk without pain. If it still hurts when you try to walk, then it probably isn't ready for any serious workouts. (:
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 30th 2010, 08:46 PM

If it is indeed broken I think it takes about 3-6 weeks to heal depends how bad it is. So I wouldn't start working out anytime befor that, if you don't want to go out of shape I think the best thing you can do is eat healthy and do some weight lifting also remember bones are primarily composed of calcium, so focus on foods with high calcium.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Re: Yikes! Help! - August 30th 2010, 11:20 PM

I feel like this thread is just a heap of bad news I can *almost* put pressure on it without it hurting.

I might try power walking tomorrow if it doesn't hurt too much.

Thanks for all your responses guys I appreciate it.

Closed Thread