TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Name: Nicky Lk

Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 05:08 AM

I have been dieting for a week and I been doing really good. I been eating more fruit and salads. I went to Panara with my friend and got a sandwich, but I didn't eat it all. But my problem was today......today I had the rest of my sandwich from Panara and a weight watcher muffin and a salad with a little ranch. But I was craving chicken so i went and got some Chinese food !!!!! So I had all that and then ate chicken nuggets from mcdonalds. I feel like I failed majorly in my attempt to diet. So I feel like now all the eating right this week and playing Wii boxing for a half hour every other day this week was all for nothing! Ugh I feel like I am not fit to lose weight or i'm not doing it right! I feel like I should give up.
  Send a message via MSN to Nickylk Send a message via Yahoo to Nickylk  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 05:59 AM

Dieting is hard. Especially when you're just starting out, changing how you eat and what you do is really difficult. You had one day where you had cravings that you fell to, don't worry! You're allowed to have treats even when you're dating. I have a friend who's on a diet where she eats healthily all week except fridays and on fridays she can eat what she likes. She still losing weight but she feels in control of her cravings because she gets to have them still.
Don't give up. You sound like you're going about this sensibly, and it will pay off if you keeps at it. Good luck!!

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 07:10 AM

Awwwwwe thanks yeah my girlfriend actually said the same thing, that it's good to have that one day of indulgence. I just wanted another persons opinion LOL. I guess it's not that bad as long as I stick to it but my goal is to lose at least 60 lbs.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 09:45 AM

There's way better options out there for weight loss than sandwiches and muffins.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 10:53 AM

It's okay to have a day where you eat all your favourite foods. But like said above, there's more to dieting than sandwiches and salads. Try and make yourself a diet plan and a meal plan to pick nicer healthier foods to eat. And don't forget to exercise

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 06:54 PM

But salads and eating apples and bananas are healthy. The muffins are weight watcher ones so they aren't that bad. I guess I need help in knowing what types of meals out there are good to eat and that will help you lose weight.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 07:09 PM

Eating healthy is good. Try and get a balance of everything though. Meat/fish are good as well, presuming you aren't vegetarian. And eating carbs like pasta and fibre like bread are also really important. As said exercise is a good idea as well, maybe try running 10 minutes a few times a week? It's hard to get started but it's worth it once you get going.
Personally I'd say it's good you have a goal, but maybe try setting small goals as well. Like "I want to lose 3 lbs each month". Small goals are easier and managable, and each time you meet them you'll have more incentive to keep going. Just remember not to go too far ok? Sure you won't, but you know caring and all

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 07:42 PM

Don't forbid yourself from having things you crave, just downsize how much you eat. And, I'd definitely say calling it a diet makes you want junk more. I always just say I'm watching what I eat, for me that makes it more of an "I can eat this, but I'm choosing not to" as opposed to "I'm on a diet, I can't eat that."

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nickylk Offline
Average Joe

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 07:50 PM

Elfpunk, that's what I been doing. I been like "I'm dieting but it's more of just picking the right things to eat" .....all I had so far today was a Weight Watcher muffin, glass of milk and some cheese. I plan on doing the wii boxing for a bit. I noticed someone mentioned running in a comment but I have bad knees and I really can't to keep from putting strain on them. But walking is good right? How long should I do it for? And my mom is making a roast dinner....is that the right thing to eat? Idk I feel like I'm
not good at this whole "eating right" thing.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 25th 2010, 09:33 PM

I'm gonna say, don't worry quite SO much. Make sure when you eat the roast you don't eat tons of meat and no vegetables. More than anything, the best way is just portion control. I'm not sure what time it is for you, but if you're in the eastern US I'd say you should probably eat more than that in that amount of time. Little meals more often is better than three big meals a day.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 26th 2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popheart View Post
The muffins are weight watcher ones so they aren't that bad.
According to who? The company trying to make you pay out the nose for a ball of cooked flour you think is healthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic. View Post
And eating carbs like pasta and fibre like bread are also really important.
Bread and pasta are both terrible sources of fiber, and there's no reason anybody who isn't an extreme endurance athlete should be seeking out big sources of carbs. That's going to be incredibly counter productive to weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfPunk View Post
Make sure when you eat the roast you don't eat tons of meat and no vegetables.
You should definately be eating the vegetables, but I get the feeling that you're implying here that meat is a bad food for somebody looking to lose weight?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 26th 2010, 03:53 AM

I'm just saying you don't want to eat a massive amount of meat and no veggies. Meat isn't bad, as long as your portions are in control.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 26th 2010, 11:19 AM

Hey there,

To lose weight you need to be burning off more calories than what you're eating. Eating less will help, but you need to accompany any diet with exercise. Cutting out a specific food group isn't going to be beneficial to you and can cause health problems. While you need to eat dairy products such as milk and cheese, it's worth remembering that these are basically all fat, but you do need the calcium. What foods can you eat? Firstly cut out any fast food and sweets. Keep an eye on what is in the food that you're eating, and stay clear from alcohol, it contains a lot more calories than you would think! Try eating smaller meals throughout the day, rather than three large meals, and refrain from snacking!

Don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions.
Marie.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
puala__koala Offline
Average Joe

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 26th 2010, 10:36 PM

i know this sound corny but try eating more fruits and vegetables. get a recipe book for salads and eat those. theyre a whole lot less calories and they fill you up the same.

oh, and maybe try going vegetarian. when i first started being veg i lost a ton of weight

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 27th 2010, 12:49 AM

I don't recommend becoming a vegetarian JUST to lose weight. You still need the nutrients from meat.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Don't know if I'm doing this right..... - September 28th 2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
While you need to eat dairy products such as milk and cheese, it's worth remembering that these are basically all fat
Well maybe if she's drinking cream or eating butter for her dairy, but milk is fairly balanced between all the macros, and even cheese despite it's high fat levels generally has fairly similar levels of protein to said fat content. Besides, the ideal weight loss diet would be made up to a large extent of fat, so something being fatty isn't necessarily reason to avoid it. Better than her eating something that's basically all carbs or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puala__koala View Post
oh, and maybe try going vegetarian. when i first started being veg i lost a ton of weight
Anyone can mallnourish themselves and lose weight. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. Meat is low carb, has a bit of fat (good for you) and is packed with protein. It's a great weight loss food.

Closed Thread