TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Live Help Operator

Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Sweat Gland Removal. - November 14th 2010, 09:13 PM

Does anyone know anything about this, or had it done, or knows someone who has had it done?

I suffer from excessive sweating. It's undiagnosed but there's no way that there's not something wrong with me. My hands and my feet sweat to excessively that there's practically a puddle of water in my hands.

I don't think there's any 'cure' for this, or anything I could do to sort it out. I went to the doctors and I was prescribed some sort of really strong deodorant to put on my hands and feet over night for a week, and it did nothing. And I'm starting to get annoyed with it now.

So I'm hoping someone could offer me some insight of what I could do to fix this, or any information on the procedure of removing the sweat gland in hopes that this can be fixed.

Any info would be fab. Ta chums <3

Live Help Operator
Forum Moderator - Sex and Puberty ~ Relationships and Dating

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 14th 2010, 09:19 PM

Have you looked into getting botox injections into the area that sweat excessively?

The condition of excess sweating is called hyperhidrosis so you might have more luck if you search treatment for that.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Hyperhi...roduction.aspx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Live Help Operator

Outside, huh?

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 14th 2010, 09:24 PM

Yeah. I figured out hyperhidrosis a few years back. And from what I've read, there's basically no cure.

I highly doubt I could managed injections especially in my hands and feet!

Thanks though.

Live Help Operator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 14th 2010, 09:26 PM

The NHS link has a range of treatments but the problem is they are all pretty expensive. Like this one

Quote:
Iontophoresis:
Iontophoresis is an effective treatment if sweating affects your hands or feet. It can be used for armpits, though this is usually less effective.
Iontophoresis involves submerging your hands or feet in a bowel of water. A wet contact pad is applied to the armpits. A weak electric current is passed through the water. It is thought that this process blocks the sweat glands. The treatment is not painful but the electric current can cause some mild, short-lived discomfort and skin irritation.
Each session of iontophoresis lasts between 20 and 30 minutes. You will usually need two to four sessions a week. Your symptoms should improve after four to 10 sessions, after which further treatment is required at one to four-week intervals, depending on the severity of your symptoms.
Iontophoresis has proved to be effective in 80 to 90% of cases. However, you will have to make regular visits to a hospital or dermatology clinic to receive treatment.
Iontophoresis kits that you can use at home are also available with prices ranging from 325 to 500.
I know someone who suffered from Hyperhidrosis and she tried everything and the only thing that worked for her is the botox, the difference is amazing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Live Help Operator

Outside, huh?

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 14th 2010, 09:29 PM

I think I need to go back to the doctors and speak to them, I think that's the only way I'll get somewhere with it.

Right now my hands are soaking It's so annoying.

Live Help Operator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 14th 2010, 10:57 PM

You can buy some over-the-counter stuff for it that's not too expensive, like Odaban. It's about 7 for 30ml of it, it comes in a spray bottle. Basically you want an anti-perspirant with a 15% or higher concentration of aluminum chloride.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Live Help Operator

Outside, huh?

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 14th 2010, 11:00 PM

I've tried pretty much the same sort of thing from the doctors, and deodorants and anti-perspirant don't work.

Live Help Operator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
cptdean Offline
Runs this Ship
Average Joe

Name: Dean

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 15th 2010, 01:37 PM

I cant add anything from experience but i remember that there was someone with the same thing that went on that c4 show embarrassing bodies because she was worried about dropping her baby because of sweaty hands

http://www.channel4embarrassingillne...-sweaty-hands/
edit: if anyone chooses to watch the video just be warned that it can be graphic as it has surgery in it, but it warns you on the site too

the method they used is quite serious as it is surgery and there are alot of negative comments posted but I just wanted to pass it onto you so you know of the different options for it. And it did work for this person.

Hope it helps

BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips&
BaconStrips...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 15th 2010, 02:20 PM

I think it would be best to go to the doctors and speak to them about it. They can possibly see how bad it is and how to go about fixing it, if there is something that they can do to fix it.

I know you've said what they've given you before hasn't worked but I doubt that's the only thing they've got, it would be worth seeing if there is anything else they could offer you before you considering something as drastic as surgery or removal.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Katie

Re: Sweat Gland Removal. - November 15th 2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post
Yeah. I figured out hyperhidrosis a few years back. And from what I've read, there's basically no cure.

I highly doubt I could managed injections especially in my hands and feet!

Thanks though.
If it is hyperhidrosis (and of course we can't say if it is or not) I saw on tv once that they can do a surgery where they pinch off the glands with clips, but they don't remove or sever them so it's technically reversable. The one I saw was done on the hands I don't know about the feet though

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012

Closed Thread